By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who is the DS for?

@alucard The psp is great for a console gaming experience, but the op seems to want a handheld experience. ALso super circuit and kh were both 2d.

Super Circuit                                           Mkds

Now how about we compare a 2d ds game to a 2d gameboy advance game.

Now if you don't see the difference then you must have bad vision.

I would say there are many games on the ds better than liberty city stories. Also sotn was a ps1 game, game that could be played on the psp. SO the op could always get it if they had a ps1 ps2 or bc ps3.

Around the Network
Fernando said:
alucardremixed said:
sc94597 said:
alucardremixed said:
niksta2 said:

I'm thinking about finally getting a handheld, but I'm worried about two things

1. Who is the DS for? at $140 I figure I might as well spend the extra $20 on a PSP bundle

2. what are the chances of nintendo coming out with a new hand-held soon?

EDIT:

3. how much do games go for?

Truth to say, i say DS are for kids, i enjoyed the Castlevania games that came out, but its kiddish, and the features are limited. I sold it after finding out no good games that i want is coming out for it. Im 18 years old, im tired of playing Mario kart with game boy advance graphics. Get a PSP, the god of war ame that came out looks really fun, and if you like castlevania, get the Dracula x Chronicles, the front game sucks ass real hard (the charecter walks slow, while the enemies are runnning circles, but its a remake.) but it has Castlevania Symphony of the Nights, which i say is the BEST title i have ever played, from the music, to you play as the dark lords son. But to get back on point, your better off buying a psp, you can also listen to music, store pictures, videos, web browsing, and shit it has games. Unless you like Nintendogs that is. To answer your questions

1. Its for kids, as explained above IMO

2. meh, prolly a ds liter lol, i doubt it

3.games go for 34.99$ and under, psp games are 39.99$ and under

@Bolded Lol so the game boy advance has 3d graphics? You could say the gameboyadvance=snes  Ds slightly>n64 in terms of power.

The games aren't all for kids you know there are many games that are fun for adults too proven by the link I just posted. IF the ds was only for kids then I highly doubt it would have sold that well.

Also tell me some good games for the psp, and I bet I could tell you games that are similar and  just as good, or better for the ds.

Game boy advanced didn't have/wasnt capable of 3d graphics? Have you played mario kart, even a Kingdom hearts title for the ds (card based game, not sure of the title) presented a CG in 3d graphics. At all i didn't even mention "3d" in my post, so im not even going to sweat it.

There are games out there enjoyed by a huge amount of diverse audiences, but it only has games and a touch screen. I just posted the games i enjoyed, and that was it for me, until games that i want come out for it. The only games i enjoyed for the psp was GTA liberty city stories (that title alone and you cant match with any titles for the ds, you just cant, because there was so much to do and enjoy there) and Castlevania Symphony of The Nights, one of my favorite games of all time (it was an unlockablein Catlevania Dracula x Chronicles) other than that that was pretty much it, since i played it on the only psp in the house which belonged to my little sister (she kept erasing my game files, and now she got what she deserved, her psp is bricked). The PSP just has more feautres in it (video music photos web browsing) that i enjoyed more, but for games i had fun with my ds. But im more of a console guy, right now listening to music on my ps3 has i type away on the keyboad.

I will post it again...

PLEASE, check this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

And then cry, please. You are missing the console with the most RPG's, platformres and third party support. Yes, it has more third party support than the 360, PS3 and Wii.

its not like im saying "the ds and its games SUCK" I enjoyed my ds while it lasted, and i simply moved on, for now. I'll definitely pick it up later, a couple of those games i really want to play, and my old white ds lite was getting dirty, right trigger was loosing its responsiveness, and getting neglected lol. I had it for a long time.

sc94597 said:

@alucard The psp is great for a console gaming experience, but the op seems to want a handheld experience. ALso super circuit and kh were both 2d.

Super Circuit                                           Mkds

Now how about we compare a 2d ds game to a 2d gameboy game.

Now if you don't see the difference then you must have bad vision.

I would say there are many games on the ds better than liberty city stories. Also sotn was a ps1 game, game that could be played on the psp. SO the op could always get it if they had a ps1 ps2 or bc ps3.

Ok good point, and hell i miss super circuit lol. But i like the PSP because of its extra features. At all hell, why not own both. @author of this thread I you like quality games, get a ds, if you like extra feautures and gaming with good graphics and sound, go PSP. And when i buy myself a PSP, ima get SOTN from the PSN store, that game is just amazing! Liberty city stories was a unique game, its grand theft auto, on the go!

ds is better than psp IMO! the games are $20-$30

The DS has the only games targeted at 50-60 year olds on the market, and yet haters claim it's for kids. I don't get it. The thing's for all ages and has every possible grene, and in fact it invents new genres. The thing's nuts.

If you like platforming, I highly recommend Kirby: Canvas Curse. It's controlled entirely with the stylus, and not in some awkward forced way. It's perfect.

Around the Network

The DS is far superior to the Wii in that it is truly for everyone, not just the casual gamer trying to escape reality but also the more hardcore gamer looking for a decent narrative and reason for his actions.

alucardremixed, both games are technically in 3-D, but Super Mario Kart on the GBA had the same style as the original on SNES. The maps were all flat. There were no hills. It was a trick with Mode 7 to have a flat 2-D map, like in Doom or Wolfenstein, and then have your kart sprites race over them.

MKDS had true 3-D, with hills and ramps all over the place, like in the Donkey Kong Summit level and whatnot.

That's what somebody earlier meant to say.

DTG said:
The DS is far superior to the Wii in that it is truly for everyone, not just the casual gamer trying to escape reality but also the more hardcore gamer looking for a decent narrative and reason for his actions.

Well then I could see the wii becoming the same. This is because the ds was just like the wii in the beggining of its life. It got no third party support, it only had games like brain age and nintendogs, but nintendo released some hardcore games too like they are doing for the wii. ONce developers didn't sell too much on the psp, they went to the ds. Now you see ps3/360 games for the most part don't sell to well in japan. There are some odd cases, but not too many. I believe the wii will get alot if not almost all of the japanese third party support, and some western support too.

Nintendo Fan Girl said:

ds is better than psp IMO! the games are $20-$30

Maybe

mM

The DS is for everyone one, so many games for all genres. I love my DS, play it much more than my Wii