By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 indeed surpass the 360´s WW install base next year?

not next year, but certainly by 2010

Around the Network
JGarret said:

I see many people saying that, be it early next year or by the end of next year, no later than that....but do you think this will really be the case?

Sure, a lot of things could happen to either system to greatly affect sales, positively or negatively....but just taking a guess along with some logic and reason, what would you say?

yup, Ps3 has been outselling the 360 every week since the past holidays, but only by a small margin. The Ps3 will close the gap, and more games, a possible redesign of the ps3 will take place soon, more than likely to compete with the new xbox.

I am going to jump out and say it might never happen. YES! Not because the PS3 is bad or the 360 is superior, just because every little turn Sony makes, Microsoft will be there to counter it. Just when the PS3 is about to reach its epoch of sales, watch for a new Xbox 720.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Yup, the past 6 months they've outselled the 360 for 1.2 mln consoles.
The gap is 5.73 mln. right now, expect this year the ps3 sales to pick up faster than 360's and by the end of 2009 ps3 passes 360

I think its almost inevitable that it will happen by this time next year. The 360 has one price drop left and only in NA. The PS3 is gaining its momentum from areas outside of NA. The PS3 is just the more highly sought after product right now, and with a price drop in any of the regions it will maintain that 50,000 per week average for the year.

Nothing can save the 360 in Europe, and dropping the price yet again would just be seen as desperation. Sure the 360 can do it in NA, but that means losing more money in a bad US economy where the dollar is already falling. On top of that after Halo, the 360 has a much smaller potential consumer base. Lets be honest, the 360 will never reach PS2 sell through levels in NA with the Wii and PS3 around. The most its going to sell even in NA is probably around 20,000,000 if that. I dont think all 20,000,000 of its potential buyers will settle for a 360 thats still $300 or more without free online access and with reliability problems. Without areas outside of UK and US really buying the 360 it only has until a PS3 price drop to compete WW.

This is of course as the situation stands right now. It will take something monumental at E3 to change this.

Around the Network
Jandre002 said:
I think its almost inevitable that it will happen by this time next year. The 360 has one price drop left and only in NA. The PS3 is gaining its momentum from areas outside of NA. The PS3 is just the more highly sought after product right now, and with a price drop in any of the regions it will maintain that 50,000 per week average for the year.

Nothing can save the 360 in Europe, and dropping the price yet again would just be seen as desperation. Sure the 360 can do it in NA, but that means losing more money in a bad US economy where the dollar is already falling. On top of that after Halo, the 360 has a much smaller potential consumer base. Lets be honest,
the 360 will never reach PS2 sell through levels in NA with the Wii and PS3 around. The most its going to sell even in NA is probably around 20,000,000 if that. I dont think all 20,000,000 of its potential buyers will settle for a 360 thats still $300 or more without free online access and with reliability problems. Without areas outside of UK and US really buying the 360 it only has until a PS3 price drop to compete WW.

This is of course as the situation stands right now. It will take something monumental at E3 to change this.

BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA.

I bolded the parts I disagreed with.

Tease.

Probably in the second half of 2009.

well after xmas 2008 is over, microsoft will be shivering and put on usual spin, i predict mid 2009 the ps3 will be ahead and will certainly put to sleep once and for all, the liars who said ps3 would fail!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

It will pass it when the PS3's big games come out. So I'm guessing somewhere in mid to late 2009

My Top 5 Games of All Time

1. FF7 4. SSX Tricky

2. FE7 5. RE4

3. MGS4

VALENCIA CF

SACRAMENTO KINGS

FFXIII and GT5 will help to overcome the gap..