By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima doing Half-life and Valve doing Metal Sear Solid?

Torillian said:
That's damned pretentious of you Ian. So liking MGS stories is a sign of immaturity and a lack of culture. Out of curiosity, what game stories do you like when you are so cultured as I'm sure you are?

Personally I enjoy MGS stories because I've always enjoyed Science Fiction. The conspiracy stuff is cool, but I more enjoy the talk of cloning, virus evolution, and nanotechnology, and I like that they put that kind of talk into a game. Also I enjoy Kojima's attempts to scientifically rationalize everything in the MGS world, even if he falls short at times it's still interesting.

Obviously this all comes down to personal taste.  I might have a transendant experience staring at a puddle on the ground and you might not even notice it.  It's all subjective to an extent.  

That said, I'm not pretenious, and you don't have to be cultured, to know that the Metal gear storyline and dialog are corny and flawed. To imply that the story in this game is some kind of great work or is some kind of deep commentary on the future of war or the meaning of life is just sad.  And it does show a lack of exposure to better material (just grab any random book of the scifi shelf in your local library). 

I challenge anyone to take the Metal Gear cut scenes (remove them from the game, which is exellent by the way) and show them on a big screen. The movie audience would walk out and demand their money back.  Present the dialog and story to a book reviewer or screen writer and they would tear it apart so fast and shelve it.   

Like I said, I really like the game.  It's very fun, has high production values, tries something new (the movie/game), and kojima should be commended for his efforts.  But don't make it something it's not.

Around the Network
DTG said:
jalsonmi said:

One of the most intellectual passages ever told in entertainment? You've got to be kidding me. I knew someone was goingto play the philosophical card, actually. And I can tell you, as an avid reader of philosohpy and literary theory, specifcally being a big believer in deconstrcution a la Jacques Derrida, the postmodern philosophy of Jean-Francois Lyotard and Jean Baudrillard (especially the latter's constrcution of the simulacrum) and the poststructural reading of history pioneared by Michelle Foucault, I can, I believe with good authority, say that the philosophy found in MGS is for the most part drivel. It is, as I've said before, philosophy for dummies, an oversimplified and crude look at simulacra and the forces that control our lives. It's good that it's trying to explore such things, but it does it fairly piss-poorly, with absurd dialogue, reams of exposition and a need to hammer it over the viewer's head. It may stand on it's own in a textbook, in that textbooks also oversimplify and don't do a great job with subtlety and nuance.

If you want real intellectualism in entertainment (which is a pursuit that I pretty much devote my life too--as a film student I strive as a goal for my own films to have a subtle intellectual aspect to all of my film), here's a list, off the otp of my head:

1. The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick - A ripping, spooky what if? tale that contains a deep exploration of the nature of reality and perception, years before poststructuralsim made such things basic to its philosophy.

2. Housekeeping, by Marilynne Robinson - Post-structural theory in novel form.

3. Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson (won the Pulitzer Prize in 2004) - The nature of god and faith, and what it means to forgive, all without being dogmatic about religion at all.

4. The Big Lebowski and The Man Who Wasn't There, directed by Joel Coen - Deep explorations of pastiche - the way filmic tropes from the past can communicate to a contemporary audience and to each other.

5. Shadow of the Colossus - A Shintoist parable in game form. The dual nature of good and evil in all actions, the way you can do horrible things without regard for consequence, and how sacrifice can redeem that selfishness.

I could go on, touching on Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie, the films of Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Bunuel and David Cronenberg (Cronenberg wrote the script for Videodrome immediately after reading Marshall McLuhan's Understanding Media), and others, but the point is there are many, many examples of intellectualism in entertainment that are done better than that conversation in MGS2.

I live Metal Gear games. I like them a lot, actually. But well plotted, full of good dialogue, or the pinacle of intellectualism in entertainment they are not.

What is with peoples obsession with subtlety and naunce?

Philosophy shouldn't be subtle, just like any teacher-student relationship Kojima should be allowed the ability to cram down his teachings to his fans

Subtlety and nuance are two different things.

Subtlety is considered a good thing because is shows you are able to work your philosophy into the work without sacrificing that work. The story doesn't suffer for the philosophy and rather they are worked seemlessly into a whole.

And of course you want your philosophy to have nuance. It should be able to be disected and examined wihtout falling apart--a deeply explored, well reasoned system of beliefs. That's nuance. All arguments, philosophical or not, should contain nuance.

Subtlety and nuance are a couple of the hallmarks of intellectualism. For a guy that was just praising the intellectual nature of MGS, I'd think you'd want such things.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

The disconnect I have is that Kojima really isn't in a position to teach me anything, for the simple facts that my interests have  already lead me to tread over the same ground as what's found in the games and that I leave no stone unturned in pursuing knowledge in subjects I'm interested in.  He can only share, not inform.  Others may not have looked into the topics he presents before, so to them there may be some lessons.  I do appreciate his ambition and singular vision when it comes to game creation though.

I'm more interested in themes that are relevant on a more intimate or universal human level, like poverty, child abuse, jealousy, mental illness, death (which I think is touched upon exceptionally in MGS3 in the Sorrow "battle"),  nature vs. civilization, duty and responsibility etc. Cloning, PMC's, genomes, fate, destiny etc. are nice mental busywork, but in practice not really relevant or practical to daily human existence.

So all that's left is the characters, and video games aren't to the point where they contain naturalistic, nuanced character acting on par with great cinema. There are no video game equals to a classic Daniel Day Lewis or DeNiro performance in all their complexity and deep recesses of humanity.

And if there is one game that is an acheivement in interactive narrative, it's Silent Hill 2.  As haunting and phsycologically rich as anything I've seen in quite a while, and excels in the horror genre.

Has anyone else realized that DTG is just billy07? Remember he was the guy who would always talk about philosophy and MGS2.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Ian said:
Torillian said:
That's damned pretentious of you Ian. So liking MGS stories is a sign of immaturity and a lack of culture. Out of curiosity, what game stories do you like when you are so cultured as I'm sure you are?

Personally I enjoy MGS stories because I've always enjoyed Science Fiction. The conspiracy stuff is cool, but I more enjoy the talk of cloning, virus evolution, and nanotechnology, and I like that they put that kind of talk into a game. Also I enjoy Kojima's attempts to scientifically rationalize everything in the MGS world, even if he falls short at times it's still interesting.

Obviously this all comes down to personal taste. I might have a transendant experience staring at a puddle on the ground and you might not even notice it. It's all subjective to an extent.

That said, I'm not pretenious, and you don't have to be cultured, to know that the Metal gear storyline and dialog are corny and flawed. To imply that the story in this game is some kind of great work or is some kind of deep commentary on the future of war or the meaning of life is just sad. And it does show a lack of exposure to better material (just grab any random book of the scifi shelf in your local library).

I challenge anyone to take the Metal Gear cut scenes (remove them from the game, which is exellent by the way) and show them on a big screen. The movie audience would walk out and demand their money back. Present the dialog and story to a book reviewer or screen writer and they would tear it apart so fast and shelve it.

Like I said, I really like the game. It's very fun, has high production values, tries something new (the movie/game), and kojima should be commended for his efforts. But don't make it something it's not.

The dialog doesn't seem that bad from what I have played of MGS4.  What's wrong with it?

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

Has anyone else realized that DTG is just billy07? Remember he was the guy who would always talk about philosophy and MGS2.

I haven't but now that you say so I think you are correct  he is billy07.

jalsonmi said:
Spectrumglr said:

@ DTG:

"Kojima explores free will, determinism, manipulation, identity, control etc etc."

i can't take anything too seriously when in a game the main character is Solid Snake, its mortal enemy is Liquid Snake (where is Gas Snake?) and other guys are named like Revolver Ocelot (!), Sniper Wolf(!!), Vulcan Raven (!!!), Psycho Mantis (!!!!) or Decoy Octopus (world has just run out of exclamation marks)...with Cheesy Pig and Banana Joe the party would be complete. Go kojima: i want Cheesy Pig and Banana Joe in MGS5

Ssh! You're giving away valuable MGS5 secrets!

Which of course begs the question: why is the third clone code named Solidus? What does that even mean? And the original code named Naked? What?

he was codenamed naked because he didnt have any items or weapons at the start of the game IE he had to find his neccessities on the battlefield

jalsonmi said:
DTG said:
jalsonmi said:

One of the most intellectual passages ever told in entertainment? You've got to be kidding me. I knew someone was goingto play the philosophical card, actually. And I can tell you, as an avid reader of philosohpy and literary theory, specifcally being a big believer in deconstrcution a la Jacques Derrida, the postmodern philosophy of Jean-Francois Lyotard and Jean Baudrillard (especially the latter's constrcution of the simulacrum) and the poststructural reading of history pioneared by Michelle Foucault, I can, I believe with good authority, say that the philosophy found in MGS is for the most part drivel. It is, as I've said before, philosophy for dummies, an oversimplified and crude look at simulacra and the forces that control our lives. It's good that it's trying to explore such things, but it does it fairly piss-poorly, with absurd dialogue, reams of exposition and a need to hammer it over the viewer's head. It may stand on it's own in a textbook, in that textbooks also oversimplify and don't do a great job with subtlety and nuance.

If you want real intellectualism in entertainment (which is a pursuit that I pretty much devote my life too--as a film student I strive as a goal for my own films to have a subtle intellectual aspect to all of my film), here's a list, off the otp of my head:

1. The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick - A ripping, spooky what if? tale that contains a deep exploration of the nature of reality and perception, years before poststructuralsim made such things basic to its philosophy.

3. Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson (won the Pulitzer Prize in 2004) - The nature of god and faith, and what it means to forgive, all without being dogmatic about religion at all.

4. The Big Lebowski and The Man Who Wasn't There, directed by Joel Coen - Deep explorations of pastiche - the way filmic tropes from the past can communicate to a contemporary audience and to each other.

5. Shadow of the Colossus - A Shintoist parable in game form. The dual nature of good and evil in all actions, the way you can do horrible things without regard for consequence, and how sacrifice can redeem that selfishness.

I could go on, touching on Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie, the films of Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Bunuel and David Cronenberg (Cronenberg wrote the script for Videodrome immediately after reading Marshall McLuhan's Understanding Media), and others, but the point is there are many, many examples of intellectualism in entertainment that are done better than that conversation in MGS2.

I live Metal Gear games. I like them a lot, actually. But well plotted, full of good dialogue, or the pinacle of intellectualism in entertainment they are not.

Philosophy shouldn't be subtle, just like any teacher-student relationship Kojima should be allowed the ability to cram down his teachings to his fans

Subtlety is considered a good thing because is shows you are able to work your philosophy into the work without sacrificing that work. The story doesn't suffer for the philosophy and rather they are worked seemlessly into a whole.

And of course you want your philosophy to have nuance. It should be able to be disected and examined wihtout falling apart--a deeply explored, well reasoned system of beliefs. That's nuance. All arguments, philosophical or not, should contain nuance.

Subtlety and nuance are a couple of the hallmarks of intellectualism. For a guy that was just praising the intellectual nature of MGS, I'd think you'd want such things.

You're essentially saying that the philosophy should be compromised in exchange for a better storyline by saying the themes worked in should be done in a subtle manner. But why not vice versa? I think the storylines should be subtle (if even necessary at all), created around the central philosophy as merely vessels for the message. The themes should be the focus and handed to the viewer similarly to how a teacher hands the coursework to their students. The storyline should be implemented in a subtle manner simply to make the lesson/message more digestable or interesting but should not divert the attention from the fundamental messages the creator is trying to convey.

DTG said:
jalsonmi said:
DTG said:
jalsonmi said:

You're essentially saying that the philosophy should be compromised in exchange for a better storyline by saying the themes worked in should be done in a subtle manner. But why not vice versa? I think the storylines should be subtle (if even necessary at all), created around the central philosophy as merely vessels for the message. The themes should be the focus and handed to the viewer similarly to how a teacher hands the coursework to their students. The storyline should be implemented in a subtle manner simply to make the lesson/message more digestable or interesting but should not divert the attention from the fundamental messages the creator is trying to convey.

The philosophy doesn't have to necessarily take a back seat to the story. Housekeeping is, as I said, basically a work of post-structural philosophy. Gilead is one of the greatest works of theology I've ever read. But the power of both books' philosophy comes from the stories. They work almost as examples work in an essay--showing how the thoery works and why it does.

MGS's philospohy is tacked on in a way that has very, very little to do with the story as a whole. Rather, it stops the story cold when it think's it's time for some philosophy. And the philosophy is not very deep or, yes, nuanced. No offense intended, but if a teacher tried to teach a class around the philosophy offered in the Metal Gear games, it'd be a pretty shitty class. There's just not that much there philosophically in them. As I said above, it's Baudrillard for dummies. Or Nietzche for dummies. Depending on the specific game.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.