By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox360 HD domination begins - 06/07/2008. $299 Pro is coming!

smbu2000 said:

Looks like the price cut for the pro is confirmed to happen before E3:

http://kotaku.com/397420/major-retailer-confirms-360-price+cut

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/technology/news/e3i3a6a726c3dd89a148e015a61f32f42f8

Microsoft will cut the price of its most popular Xbox 360 model, the 20GB Pro, by $50 to $299 in the coming weeks, game industry sources have confirmed.

Microsoft would not comment, but a major retailer, which requested anonymity, said the price move will come before the major video game trade show, E3, which runs July 15-17 in Los Angeles.

Microsoft last cut the price of the Xbox 360 Pro -- from $399 to $349 -- in August, in many ways setting the stage for the huge successful rollout of "Halo 3" the following month.

While Microsoft does not have a "Halo"-style blockbuster on the horizon this year, the company is trying to compete both with the Nintendo Wii for a family/casual gaming audience, while also fending off Sony's Blu-ray-equipped PlayStation 3 in the market-share battle for the more hardcore players.

David Cole, president of the market research firm DFC Intelligence, suggested a move by Microsoft had been expected, adding that he didn't think this cut would trigger an immediate spike in Xbox 360 hardware sales.

But the drop, which now positions the Xbox 360 Pro $100 less than Sony's 40GB PlayStation 3, will play a larger role during the holiday selling season, Cole said, noting, "Clearly, whenever you have a price decrease it puts pressure on the competing systems, because price is one of the major factors consumers consider when deciding which system to buy."

While Sony could be pondering its own price cut, the consumer electronics giant did note recently in an annual report that the PlayStation 3 has cost the company $3.3 billion since its late 2006 launch because of a strategic decision to sell the system for less than it costs to make.

hmm...that bolded part might raise a few eyebrows...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Gnizmo
Here in the UK for a ling time the PS3 was thought of as a joke. That is changing slowly. For me though its the xbox that is the joke. Three times they have claimed that RRoD has been fixed (and some gullible fools have believed them every time) only for similar numbers of machines to start basking in the red lights. That is the real joke. I still think the 360 has a year to a year and a half before the real pain of this joke is felt. The end of the 3 year Warranty will really start kicking in about then.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

joshin69 said:
Gnizmo
Here in the UK for a ling time the PS3 was thought of as a joke. That is changing slowly. For me though its the xbox that is the joke. Three times they have claimed that RRoD has been fixed (and some gullible fools have believed them every time) only for similar numbers of machines to start basking in the red lights. That is the real joke. I still think the 360 has a year to a year and a half before the real pain of this joke is felt. The end of the 3 year Warranty will really start kicking in about then.

Ok let me state my point in a more direct and obvious way. Anecdotal evidence is entirely worthless and can't be used to accuratly predict anything. What you have is anecdotal evidece. What I listed is anecdotal evidence. What Mafoo typed was anecdotal evidence. It is all nearly worthless.

Bundle 360 with COD 4 and Gears of War. That would be the best two game bundle.

Oddly, that bundle would actually decrease my desire to buy the system. While I wouldn't be paying for them technically, they would never get played. I feel bad having games that are never used, so I guess I instinctively try to avoid collecting more of them.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

|_emmiwinks said:
Squilliam said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319489

$299...

Thats one big relief right there. Looks like if theres any pent up demand at for a lower price we'll see one hell of a spike maybe?

:D

Great for gamers/great for Microsoft/great for developers. Win!Win!Win!

Full of win.

LOL! Microsoft making worst desicion confirmed!!

http://kotaku.com/397402/299-price-drop-xbox-360-is-refurbish-bwah

Apparently those 299 consoles are... REFURBS!

HAHAHAHA!!

Sorry, Im usually much more reserved about this, but thats justs HILARIOUS. (If true.)

Well, it's not true, they've updated it:

Update: Several Gamestop employees have altered us that the retailer has been running this refurb deal for the past month or so, thus negating anything it has to do with the rumored price-drop Xbox 360. Nothing to see here! Move along, move along.

http://kotaku.com/397402/299-price-drop-xbox-360-is-refurbish-bwah

When it comes to RRoD there is no evidence, the numbers have never been released. its all an educated guess.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Around the Network

hrm.. actually, I don't think a $50 price drop will help to much, but I could be wrong.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Spankey said:
smbu2000 said:

Looks like the price cut for the pro is confirmed to happen before E3:

http://kotaku.com/397420/major-retailer-confirms-360-price+cut

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/technology/news/e3i3a6a726c3dd89a148e015a61f32f42f8

Microsoft will cut the price of its most popular Xbox 360 model, the 20GB Pro, by $50 to $299 in the coming weeks, game industry sources have confirmed.

Microsoft would not comment, but a major retailer, which requested anonymity, said the price move will come before the major video game trade show, E3, which runs July 15-17 in Los Angeles.

Microsoft last cut the price of the Xbox 360 Pro -- from $399 to $349 -- in August, in many ways setting the stage for the huge successful rollout of "Halo 3" the following month.

While Microsoft does not have a "Halo"-style blockbuster on the horizon this year, the company is trying to compete both with the Nintendo Wii for a family/casual gaming audience, while also fending off Sony's Blu-ray-equipped PlayStation 3 in the market-share battle for the more hardcore players.

David Cole, president of the market research firm DFC Intelligence, suggested a move by Microsoft had been expected, adding that he didn't think this cut would trigger an immediate spike in Xbox 360 hardware sales.

But the drop, which now positions the Xbox 360 Pro $100 less than Sony's 40GB PlayStation 3, will play a larger role during the holiday selling season, Cole said, noting, "Clearly, whenever you have a price decrease it puts pressure on the competing systems, because price is one of the major factors consumers consider when deciding which system to buy."

While Sony could be pondering its own price cut, the consumer electronics giant did note recently in an annual report that the PlayStation 3 has cost the company $3.3 billion since its late 2006 launch because of a strategic decision to sell the system for less than it costs to make.

hmm...that bolded part might raise a few eyebrows...

LOL. Gears 2 anyone?

this will greatly help sales in america, to the point where ps3 and xbox sales will be neck-and-neck.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

"this will greatly help sales in america, to the point where ps3 and xbox sales will be neck-and-neck."
the 360 already sells a lot in america. It will be beyond neck and neck.
PS3 though,... I really don't see them dropping the price of their console soon.
Not with their lineup of upcoming exclusive and multiplat games along with new firmware and such.

What if it doesn't work?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.