By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts own response to HOME : Mygamerpad?

fastyxx said:
I am curious to see what the Microsft response is to the new Live-like PSN. How long can they keep charging for Live when PSN becomes a real threat? And if they do make it free, they better move more consoles or make up for that revenie because that's 30 million a month coming in.

As for the My Gamerpad thing...who cares? I don't get it. I don't anticipate using Home on my PS3 and I don't think I'll use this on my 360. Just give me games and dashboard functionality.
PSN active users are 9 million. Live active users are 16 million. How do M$ need to worry?.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Does HOME take up space on the PS3s hard drive? If so, then how would this affect users of the Arcade? I don't think MS would like to alienate a group of consumers.

You can't go online without a hard drive in the first place, meaning that the Arcade buyers alienated themselves when they chose to buy it ;)

Erm... yes you can.

My cousin had an arcade and a memory card, and we played many a match of Halo 3 together.

Fei-Hung said:
anyone who thinks Home will be a failure clearly lives on a different planet. The amount of people using applications such as; video chat; online games; chat rooms; facebook's and bebo's etc will all have a reason to enjoy Home.

Home will be an online world to play mini games and chat to friend like on msn messenger but in a 3D world which is forever evolving and changing.

Knowing facts on how many people use this applications online from all over the globe, it will be stupid to make an assumption saying Home won't work.

All the people using those applications will have a reason to *gasp* keep using them.  All of those applications are accesible from the computer with the push of a button and have a mouse/keyboard as their default interface tool.

You don't succeed just by copying someone else that is successful; you must improve/innovate as well or no one will use your service in lieu of the alternatives they are already using.  The fact that there are so many alternatives which fulfill several functionalities Home will attempt to is actually really bad for Home.

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Does HOME take up space on the PS3s hard drive? If so, then how would this affect users of the Arcade? I don't think MS would like to alienate a group of consumers.

You can't go online without a hard drive in the first place, meaning that the Arcade buyers alienated themselves when they chose to buy it ;)

Erm... yes you can.

My cousin had an arcade and a memory card, and we played many a match of Halo 3 together.

Really? That's great news... I could swear I saw hundreds of MS-bashers saying that the Arcade sucks because you can't play online with it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@Selnor - I thought that xbox live only had 6 million gold accounts? Doesn't that mean that only 6 million xbox users can play a game online? That would mean that Sony has roughly 4 million more users that can play online. I am sure that I am missing something here. That can't be right.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
dbot said:
@Selnor - I thought that xbox live only had 6 million gold accounts? Doesn't that mean that only 6 million xbox users can play a game online? That would mean that Sony has roughly 4 million more users that can play online. I am sure that I am missing something here. That can't be right.

From wikipedia:

Xbox Live has since passed the 10 million member mark for paying gold subscribers. This occurred 6 months earlier than Microsoft originally anticipated.[14] On May 14, 2008 Microsoft announced 12 million members.[15]

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Erm... yes you can.

Really? That's great news... I could swear I saw hundreds of MS-bashers saying that the Arcade sucks because you can't play online with it.

Untrue.

You can't play Co-op campaign together on Halo 3 for some reason, but Multi-player is fine.

Back to my original question: Does HOME take up space on the PS3s hard drive? If so, then how would this affect users of the Arcade? I don't think MS would like to alienate a group of consumers.

Home and this idea are both a waste of time. I dont care if I have some character I can design and walk around with, I just want to play the game I purchased.

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Erm... yes you can.

Untrue.

You can't play Co-op campaign together on Halo 3 for some reason, but Multi-player is fine.

Back to my original question: Does HOME take up space on the PS3s hard drive? If so, then how would this affect users of the Arcade? I don't think MS would like to alienate a group of consumers.

Yes it does take some space on the hard drive, not only the application itself but also the different locations you have to download "in game" so you can access them, I'll have to check how much it takes.

Videogirl said:
DMeisterJ said:

Untrue.

Yes it does take some space on the hard drive, not only the application itself but also the different locations you have to download "in game" so you can access them, I'll have to check how much it takes.

So this is an almost definite photoshop job.  I don't believe that MS would alienate a whole group of users for this.