By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Kwaad said: shams said: That must be why Wii Sports is out-selling *all* PS3 accumulated titles in Japan... because of the lack of AA. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. (ignoring the Wii hardware shortages...) I'm easily amused. And that amuses me. Why dont you admit what it is. a C rated gimmick people love. You have 100% discredited your self by suggesting Wii Sports is AA.
wtf. Kwaad... I've enjoyed my time "debating" against you, as you are one of the stronger PS3 fans on this board. A lot of your points have been quite good. Either you misunderstood what he meant, you're deliberately putting words into people's mouths, or you just missed the boat somewhere... He implied that Wii Sports sold because of its gameplay, regardless of AA. Gimmick or not, I'm having a ****ing good time with Wii Sports and some other games. If it's a fun gimmick, what do I care? If I get bored with the Wii in a year, so what? I'll sell my Wii and move on. I doubt I'll get bored that fast though...Wii games have shown me that motion control and especially IR aiming on the screen is useful, fun, and applicable to many games. You're just mad because you can't pick up the PS3 controller and use it like a baseball bat.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Well So far he hasn't clarified himself. ;) But Yeah. That's what I got. (since there is now a debate on what I said I'm not going to edit it) Actually. I can. Just needs the software. Well for sales I call it a gimmick. Why? I think Wii sports is great and all... but TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH. A Tech demo. eg: Gears of War for the 360. I have trouble calling resistance a tech demo... as well... it dont push the PS3 very hard. it has no physics, no awesome jumping of vehicles. etc. (well it has physics but they suck and arent used much) I think GoW was the 360's first 'true' tech demo. Wii Sports is a Tech demo based around the Wiimotes. I think Wii Sports is great fun... for what it is. A game you can play for 5 minutes and master. Dont beleive me play me online. aww crap. the Wii dont support online play. : I took on both the Aces. (the 2 best NPCs) I set myself to both players on my team. and I can win. I ASSURE you. That is ALOT harder than playing a player. (mainly becuase the NPCs cheat) however I've noticed there are... flaws in the way it works. That is why I take Wii Sports for what it is... A tech demo. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a tennis game based around the theory of Wii Sports Tennis. But I just want to point this one thing out really quick. It had better be ALOT harder. (require more skill) (my point on that is... I can hold the Wiimote in my mouth, and beat my wife in Tennis) ;)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

stof said: Kwaad's a troll, don't feed him and he might eventually go away. Thats all I have to say on this topic.
I doubt it. It's pretty apparent that he has claimed this forum as his own personal property on which to spew his bullshit. I'm hoping that eventually it will sink in that noone has any respect for him or his opinions, and maybe he'll just shut up. What I think will actually happen is that in a certain amount of time(however long that is, I have no idea) the owners of this forum, or at least those with a vested interest in it, will realize that it needs to be moderated before trolls like Kwaad permanently infest it, and the ban-hammer will fast swiftly and justly.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: stof said: Kwaad's a troll, don't feed him and he might eventually go away. Thats all I have to say on this topic. I doubt it. It's pretty apparent that he has claimed this forum as his own personal property on which to spew his bullshit. I'm hoping that eventually it will sink in that noone has any respect for him or his opinions, and maybe he'll just shut up. What I think will actually happen is that in a certain amount of time(however long that is, I have no idea) the owners of this forum, or at least those with a vested interest in it, will realize that it needs to be moderated before trolls like Kwaad permanently infest it, and the ban-hammer will fast swiftly and justly.
Well, Not trying to be mean, but I have seen at least 20 people register just to post agianst me. And in the 2 weeks since I've been beating the wii with my big tree stump... Iv'e seen the online members double. See if this was MY website. I would LOVE haveing trolls like me because well... it makes people click 'refresh refresh refresh' wich causes ads and popups like crazy... wich makes the owner get money... so every time you refresh/post/read/troll/attack me... and anytime anyone else does. the website owner is makeing money. Where did I claim "this forum is my own personal property"? I sure would LOVE this website to be mine. given the 2 ads per page and the occasional popup/page intercept. Every time I, you, your brother, your mother, your cousin, and the family dog pushes refresh... I beleive the website owner gets money. I *WISH* I was the owner. oh just to make you happy. "Thank you for posting on my forums. Your paying me money to attack me." ROFL I wish.

Agreed. Kwaad stays, because he's the obligatory Sony troll. And the arguments have stayed somewhat intelligent. Gotta have someone to argue with. It's a pretty Wii-heavy forum right now anyway. (nothing wrong with that though, of course) There's not much to argue about right now though. February's a slow console month...things will get heated up again after some new games come out... This is at least better than some forums where the PS3 fans make absolutely no sense...it's like talking to an Xbox fan. "Wii controllers r gay, u gotta plug in a sensr bar to make it work. SixAxis doesnt need nething extra, and u can throw a football in Madden!!" Or another classic, "Nintendo iz for kiddiez, PS3 is for mature, go play with ur wiis lawl"

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: Agreed. Kwaad stays, because he's the obligatory Sony troll. And the arguments have stayed somewhat intelligent. Gotta have someone to argue with. It's a pretty Wii-heavy forum right now anyway. (nothing wrong with that though, of course) There's not much to argue about right now though. February's a slow console month...things will get heated up again after some new games come out... This at least better than some forums where the PS3 fans make absolutely no sense...it's like talking to an Xbox fan. "Wii controllers r gay, u gotta plug in a sensr bar to make it work. SixAxis doesnt need nething extra, and u can throw a football in Madden!!" Or another classic, "Nintendo iz for kiddiez, PS3 is for mature, go play with ur wiis lawl"
No your wrong. it is "Nintendo iz for kiddiez, 360 is for mature people like me, go play with ur wiis lawl!" and then get on live and be all like... with voice chat talking like "lawl I dont know why this dip **** peoplez like the ****ing Wii. You have voice chat on the 360 all all that shizzle! The Wii will never get good stuff like that! PWONED YO @** with that headshot nigga!" That is what I dont like about the 360. You hear so much good stuff about it's online play... yet you CONTINUALLY hear about how annoying the kiddos are on voice. And as far as I'm aware you cant really block people on the 360. So your stuck listning to their crackling preteen screeching voice... xD

Kwaad said: Well So far he hasn't clarified himself. ;) But Yeah. That's what I got. (since there is now a debate on what I said I'm not going to edit it)
Actually, I do other things with my life than spend all day trolling this board ;) Read your first post - the one I quoted. You use "AA" to mean anti-alias. It seems that you have mistaken yourself... Go ahead, keep making meaningless points. It gives everyone else on this board some amusement. Or just maybe... if you are such a "hard-core" gamer/graphics nut, you could spend more time PLAYING and less time trolling.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said: I'm easily amused. And that amuses me. Why dont you admit what it is. a C rated gimmick people love. You have 100% discredited your self by suggesting Wii Sports is AA.
Ohh no... Im truly shattered now... ;) (sorry to all in advance for feeding the troll!) Kwaad, I'm going to save everyone a lot of time by coming up with a bunch of new thread topics here for you now... - PS3 rulez! Has 5x more RAM than the Wii (so its 5x better!) - PS3 kicks Wii butt, can do 6x more resolution (so its 6x better!) - Wii blows... it can't play DVDs or BluRay discs! - Wii games are too expensive - can fit heaps of them on one BluRay disc! - Wii gamers are retarded - can't handle using more than 1 hand for a controller In short... PS3 rules, Wii loses out everytime! :>

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Can the Wii do AA or at least some sort of AA?
To be fair, noone has answered your question. Yes, the Wii can do anti-aliasing. Aliasing is the difference between what a line should look like given infinite resolution, and what it looks like given a smaller amount of pixels. Anti-aliasing is the process of placing one or more pixels of intermediate values at the edge of the alias (the Jaggies you speak of.) The intermediate values help the edge of the line to blend into the image, reducing the appearance of the aliasing. There is nothing stopping these pixels from being added. Now, the Wii has a resolution of 640x480, which gives it 307,200 pixels. Assuming it was running with 24 bits per pixel plus 8 bits of alpha, that would be 9,830,400 bytes (slightly under 10mb) for the entire framebuffer. More likely it's using 16 bits of color information per pixel, even 24 bits leaves enough room. The rest of the system's memory would be useable for holding textures that are not in the graphics chip's embedded 3MB of texture RAM, sound, and program code, which is certainly sufficient as it is more than double what was in the Gamecube. Higher resolutions will expose lower resolution textures much earlier, so the Wii's lower resolution allows the console to do more with less. The PS3 for example is quite memory-constrained when it comes to textures. Higher resolutions have forced developers to use techniques such as palletized textures (keeping a CLUT of RGB values and mapping each pixel to an entry in the table rather than specifying each pixel's color separately, which uses less space) to conserve texture RAM. Getting back to anti-aliasing, this is less of a function of available video memory but rather the speed of the GPU. In this case we have an ATI video chip - a significantly higher clocked version of the graphics chip in the Gamecube. Given that the resolution has not increased but the speed of the chip has, it is possible that anti-aliasing could be applied with similar framerates if one were to use the chip identically to how it is used in Gamecube titles. However, any operation has a cost to performance that might be better utilized for better effects or more polygons on screen. We'll see in the future how developers balance the additional cycles granted by the significantly faster GPU and CPU (and additional RAM) in newer Wii titles. Perhaps you will start seeing anti-aliasing in some games, however I would imagine that this depends on the market penetration of HD televisions over time. Most non-HD capable televisions (those without component input) are not even capable of displaying a sharp picture at 640x480. The blur from the television reduces the need for anti-aliasing, in many cases completely eliminating any traces of it. Still, it's too early to tell what developers will do with the additional power of the Wii vs. the Gamecube.

Kwaad said: Can the Wii do AA or at least some sort of AA? Every game I've seen so far for the Wii has some of the worst jaggies since the PS2 originally came out. (I mean I know it 'should' be able to do it no problem. But my question more lies... Why isnt it being used?)
So how do you define AA? Is it: a, A game that you have tons of fun with and want to play again and again. or b, "O my GOD it looks so beutifull? For me the most played game ever is civilization 1. I do enjoy 2,3 and 4 but when it comes to time I have played them it is still number 1 leading by far. So for me it is a game I want to play again and again, independent of the graphics. So that will be an a. I would guess you are a b. So why do you care about the Wii? I mean go for the xbox360 or ps3, but please don't bash me for thinking it is to expensive.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!