By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA sales up! X360 > Ps3

LMAO. I read a lot of posts last week about how it was the beginning of the end of 360 in America. Maybe next week....

I am surprised the PS3 sales drop was THAT large, though. And they've all but announced the North America price cut for first week of July for the 360. Interesting times ahead.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
This was expected. 80GB PS3 bundle sold out first week. Next shipment (July 5th?) there will be a boost.

The only problem will be people buying the game and console seperatly before then hurting its resurgence a bit. Games like MGS4 are extremely front loaded, and while I am certain more bundles will help again on July 5th, it will not be half of what it would have been if there were no supply shortages. The hardcore gamer is a fickle and impatient mistress.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

PSaiki said:
leo-j said:
Yea sure Im going to wait for NPD.

Why?

When April's numbers from NPD were MUCH lower about PS3 the fanboys complained that NPD was wrong.

Oh god..Not this again.

mM
Ail said:
I'm actually glad the PS3 didn't drop more.
I was worried too many buyers would delay their purchase until the 80 GB get restocked...

Not everyone interested in buying a PS3 is going to just buy MGS4 due to the hype. If that were the case, I think a lot of people would be disappointed since the game is pretty far from a universal appeal title.

Of course anyone who wanted to play MGS4 and was waiting for it to buy a PS3, only to be completely denied of a bundle is just going to wait until the 80GB bundles are back in stock.

It's clearly a better deal unless you just don't want the game, which you'd still be able to flip on Craig's List, Ebay or Amazon Marketplace if not.

At this point, nothing is proved about the correlation between MGS4 and hardware sales until those bundles are back in stock. Only after normal stock levels for the bundle are seen on shelves can it be said that the hardware bump has subsided.

Gnizmo said:
tombi123 said:
This was expected. 80GB PS3 bundle sold out first week. Next shipment (July 5th?) there will be a boost.

The only problem will be people buying the game and console seperatly before then hurting its resurgence a bit. Games like MGS4 are extremely front loaded, and while I am certain more bundles will help again on July 5th, it will not be half of what it would have been if there were no supply shortages. The hardcore gamer is a fickle and impatient mistress.

You're assuming most people bought the bundle for MGS4.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:

We will see what happens in a couple of weeks, but I suspect that the demand for the 80GB unit couldn't account for more than (about) 20,000 units which will diminish over time (as everyone who cares about Metal Gear Solid owns a PS3). Certainly, there will be a decent boost the next time they're available because of the build up of people waiting, but this boost will still not be that amazing.

The deciding factor for most people in purchasing the bundle isn't MGS4.

It's BC....... A huge majority of the people buying a PS3 at this point were PS2 owners ( I really don't think there are that many people that were hardcore enough to have a GC or an Xbox last gen  that are buying a PS3 at this time..)

Given that at no point did the PS3's sales drop significantly in America (save for the normal summer lull) I am finding it hard to believe your theory. You keep saying BC is extremely important, but Others sales have been nothing but stronger without BC. Price means far more to most than BC.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Dianko said:
I think this pretty much confirms that HD consoles need lower prices to sell. Big title after big title have come out with minimal impact on hardware sales.

Where have you been? It's pretty common knowledge that Sony didn't ship nearly enough 80 GB bundles

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10105856&catid=24376 - Sold out

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999991100050000&type=product&id=pcmprd91200050000 - Sold out

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10105856&catid= - Sold out

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Metal-Gear-Solid-Pack/dp/B0014WJ78E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1214520820&sr=1-1 - Sold out

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72559 - Sold out

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864376 - Sold out

MontanaHatchet said:
tombi123 said:
HappySqurriel said:

We will see what happens in a couple of weeks, but I suspect that the demand for the 80GB unit couldn't account for more than (about) 20,000 units which will diminish over time (as everyone who cares about Metal Gear Solid owns a PS3). Certainly, there will be a decent boost the next time they're available because of the build up of people waiting, but this boost will still not be that amazing.

You do know that the 70,000 80GB bundles sold out in one day don't you? The demand is way more than 20,000 units.

No, of course everyone who wants MGS4 has a PS3! And that's why the sales octupled in Japan and doubled in America. Now he may be saying that everyone who likes the game NOW has a PS3 (because of the bundles) but then again, the same could be said about the other systems. A lot of people believed that all Halo fans already owned a 360, or the same could be said about Brawl fans and the Wii.

I was actually saying that the boost in sales due to the bundle would diminish over time as people who want Metal Gear Solid 4 bought a PS3; much like all games the sales of Metal Gear Solid 4 will diminish over time.

Ail said:

The deciding factor for most people in purchasing the bundle isn't MGS4.

It's BC....... A huge majority of the people buying a PS3 at this point were PS2 owners ( I really don't think there are that many people that were hardcore enough to have a GC or an Xbox last gen  that are buying a PS3 at this time..)

Maybe, but the backwards compatibility was available on previous 80GB systems at the same price and sales were far from amazing.

greenmedic88 said:
Ail said:
I'm actually glad the PS3 didn't drop more.
I was worried too many buyers would delay their purchase until the 80 GB get restocked...

Not everyone interested in buying a PS3 is going to just buy MGS4 due to the hype. If that were the case, I think a lot of people would be disappointed since the game is pretty far from a universal appeal title.

Of course anyone who wanted to play MGS4 and was waiting for it to buy a PS3, only to be completely denied of a bundle is just going to wait until the 80GB bundles are back in stock.

It's clearly a better deal unless you just don't want the game, which you'd still be able to flip on Craig's List, Ebay or Amazon Marketplace if not.

At this point, nothing is proved about the correlation between MGS4 and hardware sales until those bundles are back in stock. Only after normal stock levels for the bundle are seen on shelves can it be said that the hardware bump has subsided.

I am not correlating the spike in sales of PS3 with MGS4 release.

I am correlating with the reintroduction of BC on the US market. ( MGS4 sure helped a little though)

You guys are underestimating how big a factor it is in the purchase of a PS3.

Even, myself, a hardcore Sony Fan Boy, I would have thought twice before buying a PS3 last october if I hadn't been able to get a 80Gb... And I know that all the people I play with in Wow currently looking for a 80Gb are first and foremost looking for BC...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

leo-j said:
PSaiki said:
leo-j said:
Yea sure Im going to wait for NPD.

Why?

When April's numbers from NPD were MUCH lower about PS3 the fanboys complained that NPD was wrong.

Oh god..Not this again.

You've got to admit Leo-J, VGChartz had a lot of Sony fanboy support the day the NPD for GTAIV came out. According to them NPD's numbers were impossible and VGChartz made sense and were therefore right. Also, according to them, NPD was just adjusting for overtracked PS3 that month.

It would be fine if you were a consistant detractor of VGChatz to point out that these numbers seem undertracked in your opinion, but when you use a biased reasoning to come to the conclusion that these numbers could be correct, because the PS3 couldn't possibly track that low, then you're letting your bias change your opinion about sales predictions, instead of your sense.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.