By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Graphics Chip Goes 65nm in Fall

So if this happens, then sony will be able to build a slimline ps3.

But when do you think they will impliment it, when sales slow down i bet.

Around the Network

@ cwbys21 )

those are only used in very low quantities and therefore don't make up much of the material cost, but the silicon wafers, which need to have over 99.9999% chemical purity, are very very expensive to produce and ofcourse to buy, for they are in high demand around the world aswell, so getting more chips out of a single wafer saves the most money

Cheaper PS3 means happy profits.YAY.

£249 ps3 = explosion

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

tombi123 said:
How much does this lower the production costs of a PS3?

Thats the big question. The chip itself not by much (3-5$) but it draw less power: Redesign of the motherbord (thinner lines). With the redesign you can change other parts also to know cheaper availible types.A not so efficient cooling system, smaller power transformer. And while your at it, change the Blue Ray device. Well if they are really good 50$. But no way more than that. The bigger question is: By what time do they go on 45/33nm? Thats the point where the big potential lies.

Around the Network

i might wait until these babies come out to get a ps3, unless i get a good deal with normal ps3

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Good news. PS3 price drop I expect before holiday season. $350 PS3 in US would sell huge.

League_Bot said:
tombi123 said:
How much does this lower the production costs of a PS3?

Thats the big question. The chip itself not by much (3-5$) but it draw less power: Redesign of the motherbord (thinner lines). With the redesign you can change other parts also to know cheaper availible types.A not so efficient cooling system, smaller power transformer. And while your at it, change the Blue Ray device. Well if they are really good 50$. But no way more than that. The bigger question is: By what time do they go on 45/33nm? Thats the point where the big potential lies.

They've already managed to shrink the Blu-ray laser assembly, so i don't think it will be too long now to wait for the slim-line

i hope.

http://kotaku.com/348968/sony-shrinks-blu+ray-laser-sharks-to-follow

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

they can take the money they are saving on this an put bc back in

heise online has a news report on it too, for those that can understand german (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Sony-produziert-sparsamere-Playstation-3-ab-Herbst-Update--/meldung/110114).

they expect that power usage and  heat production overall will go down by 10-20%. which might be enough for a smaller cooling solution but most likely not enough for a slimline.

they also speculate that its likely that sony will package the new ps3s with bigger hd drives instead of reducing prices on that change,  cause a sony spokesman told a heise reporter a few weeks ago that sony was in negotiations with harddisk companies.

so it looks like there is no slimline before they also use the 45nm cell, but bigger hd drives will be likely to come with future models.