By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Graphics Chip Goes 65nm in Fall

"Hirai said during a Thursday PlayStation business briefing that Sony has been cutting PS3 manufacturing costs by reducing the number of components and decreasing the size of chips.

"The Cell and RSX used in PS3s at launch were manufactured using a 90nm process technology. And now all PS3 Cells have shifted to 65nm process technology since last holiday season," he said.

While the improved Cell is in circulation, the RSX graphics chip, created in tandem with Nvidia, still uses 90nm technology.

But a more efficient RSX will be in PS3s shortly, Hirai says. "As for RSX, 65nm process technology has begun this year already, and will be ready for installment in autumn."

"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11116&Itemid=2

Around the Network

good news.. so we might have a price drop before 2008 holiday season

not only that but we might see slimmer version

nice!!!!!! 65nm for RSX,45nm for cell,3mm for blu-ray!!!!!!

at least sony wont be losing money with ps3 anymore

How much does this lower the production costs of a PS3?

Around the Network

@tombi - This is a question I've always asked, how much does shrinking component size save? And is it worth doing it so often when there is so much R&D involved in doing so.

It increases the number of chips they can produce using the same materials, and it may decrease the size of the fans necessary to cool the chip down.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

What does this mean that lower costs or.

And is it worth doing it so often when there is so much R&D involved in doing so.

The advantages are very substantial, besides the biggest R&D effort is for ATI/IBM to learn how to switch to 65/45nm how to do it for a specific chip like the CELL is not that hard anymore. The harder part may be to produce the Litography machines and switch production.

when do they go 45nm for the cell? I know they were at 65nm and I know they were in the process did they already switch?