By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 vs 360: GRAPHICS

Jordahn said:
sc94597 said:
kanariya said:
I haven't seen any console games have more realistic graphic than GT5P yet.

1080p @ 60fps

Everybody knows racing sims don't count.

Why not?

Because its easier to make nice graphics, when you load a small track a little at the time, with not too much on screen. The world is so small so its easier to use the power that would otherwise be used for a larger world to make graphics better.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Yakuzaice said:
NJ5 said:

It's pretty hard to compare a cartoony-game to a game with more realistic graphics, but I don't see the substantial kind of difference I was looking for. Show me the best R&C screenshot you can find.

R&C is HD, has huge environments, tons of objects on screen, no mid level loading.  I have only noticed a few slowdowns (and they never dip down very low) in my four playthroughs.  For the most part it is locked at 60 FPS.

I know my fair share about computer graphics, but not enough to compare such different games. The Uncharted vs NG2 comparison is much more relevant, and NG2 can perfectly hold its own against it (even if the environments aren't as big) while running at double the framerate.

Uncharted is HD, has better texture work, no loading outside the initial, and more detailed character models.

leo-j said:
Squilliam said:
I sent a PM to every Mod on my friends list about you muahahahaah, just kidding. But seriously this could get you banned Leo - better settle it down mmmk?

No, I wont get banned. Though its hard to believe you arent banned for the bull$hit attacks towards MGS4.

@NJ5

No thats not true, Ratchet and clank for the ps3 is locked at 60fps, no matter what the situation the FR doesnt drop.

Get your eyes checked.

I say they both lag behind Wii... and no amount of facts will shift me!

Sound familiar?

Also, who cares? If you want to argue about graphics at least buy a decent PC and really have at it

Have a look at COD4 on a really high end PC (or Crysis obviously) and then argue about graphics.

Graphics are nice but if the gameplay is rubbish its like having a thin layer of really lovely sauce on putrid pasta if you ask me (sorry but I'm hungry right now and can only seem to think about food!).

Just to add something more constructive I'd say that 360 slightly edges PS3 for most current gen games (i.e. engines and techniques designed prior to PS3 such as say the U3 engine) however I feel that PS3 could deliver extra in gameplay if developers would pump more effort into using the thing for better AI, physics, etc. leveraging its extra number crunching and stop trying to push graphics only.

I keep thinking stuff like 'Uncharted looks fine, leave the graphics there and get the AI up, get the physics up, use the processing power to add stuff to the game within the same level of graphics'...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Who cares about the loading? This thread is about graphics, not lateral stuff like streaming which enables the no-loads policy.

The textures don't look much different in detail, maybe the character models are more detailed but let's not ignore the vast CPU/GPU penalty of 60 fps vs 30 fps.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Jordahn said:
sc94597 said:
kanariya said:

1080p @ 60fps

Why not?

Because its easier to make nice graphics, when you load a small track a little at the time, with not too much on screen. The world is so small so its easier to use the power that would otherwise be used for a larger world to make graphics better.

So therefore, it's relative.  If kanariya wants to mention GT5P, maybe that's in comparison to other racing games of similar nature in his/her opinion.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

NJ5 said:

Who cares about the loading? This thread is about graphics, not lateral stuff like streaming which enables the no-loads policy.

The textures don't look much different in detail, maybe the character models are more detailed but let's not ignore the vast CPU/GPU penalty of 60 fps vs 30 fps.

Then why does frame rate matter?  A Crysis slideshow looks better than NG2, might not be playable, but it looks better.  And you are ignoring that NG2 runs at a lower resolution than uncharted.

demon123 said:

I think it is pointless to debate about this. The difference is blu ray on which you can get 50 GB of data, so higher quality graphics & sound without the need for compression and loss of quality.

Right so you can have all these incredible uncompressed assets, and then you have to fit em in the 220mb the graphics card has available and can show.

Good going there.

Jordahn said:
sc94597 said:
Jordahn said:
sc94597 said:
kanariya said:

1080p @ 60fps

Why not?

So therefore, it's relative.  If kanariya wants to mention GT5P, maybe that's in comparison to other racing games of similar nature in his/her opinion.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Of course, but its not the most technically impressive game, and in order to figure the power of a console by looking at games you must find which game uses most of the hardware. Also he is comparing it to non racing sims.

Yakuzaice said:
NJ5 said:

Then why does frame rate matter?  A Crysis slideshow looks better than NG2, might not be playable, but it looks better.  And you are ignoring that NG2 runs at a lower resolution than uncharted.

It matters because we're talking about console power.

Look at it this way (information taken from the reliable beyond3d thread):

Uncharted - 30 fps at 1280x720 with 2xAA, that's 27.6 million pixels per second

Ninja Gaiden 2 - 60 fps at 1120x585 with 2xAA, that's 39.3 million pixels per second

Do you see the vast performance impact of using 60 fps, even at a lower resolution?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957