By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 vs 360: GRAPHICS

NJ5 said:

Who cares about the loading? This thread is about graphics, not lateral stuff like streaming which enables the no-loads policy.

The textures don't look much different in detail, maybe the character models are more detailed but let's not ignore the vast CPU/GPU penalty of 60 fps vs 30 fps.

Ummm... from:

"Uncharted is HD, has better texture work, no loading outside the initial, and more detailed character models..."

..."texture work" and "detailed character models" has a lot to do with graphics.  Why do "we" have to ignore "everything" that doesn't apply to one's agenda just because another valid point was made???

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

We should wait a year before having this discussion again....to see whether developers really can tap into the 'potential' of the ps3 and whether the 360 really has shot its load.

Just to add, Resistances developers claimed they used about 10% of what the PS3 is capable of with fall of man....if thats true, theres a lot more to come

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Until the PS3 begins showing a constant stream of titles that look (and perform) significantly more advanced than the 360, and it's multiplatform games look (and perform) better - I don't think the PS3 can RIGHTFULLY be called the more powerful platform or at least the graphically superior platform.

Fact is - right now the smoother gaming experience is on the 360.

@Jordahn: I didn't ignore it... I'm merely saying that both games have advantages the other one doesn't... Uncharted has more detailed models according to you, but how many of those models can you see on the screen at a given time? In Ninja Gaiden 2 you sometimes have upwards of 10 enemies close to you(and the corpses don't disappear), of course the characters can't be as detailed. That's not to mention the really ridiculous parts with dozens of enemies (where, admittedly, there's some slowdown). Ninja Gaiden 2 is also calculating many more pixels per second as you can see in my previous post.

I have looked at many PS3/360 games, and so far I haven't seen anything which tells me one is vastly superior to the other.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Yakuzaice said:
NJ5 said:

Who cares about the loading? This thread is about graphics, not lateral stuff like streaming which enables the no-loads policy.

The textures don't look much different in detail, maybe the character models are more detailed but let's not ignore the vast CPU/GPU penalty of 60 fps vs 30 fps.

Then why does frame rate matter?  A Crysis slideshow looks better than NG2, might not be playable, but it looks better.  And you are ignoring that NG2 runs at a lower resolution than uncharted.

It matters because we're talking about console power.

Look at it this way (information taken from the reliable beyond3d thread):

Uncharted - 30 fps at 1280x720 with 2xAA, that's 27.6 million pixels per second

Ninja Gaiden 2 - 60 fps at 1120x585 with 2xAA, that's 39.3 million pixels per second

Do you see the vast performance impact of using 60 fps, even at a lower resolution?

In my opinion, console power takes back seat to end results.  As long as the games gooks great (graphics, thsi is what the topic is about... right???) and is very playable and enjoyable (gameplay), I don't care how powerful the console is and how the developers got to that point.

:)

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
We should wait a year before having this discussion again....to see whether developers really can tap into the 'potential' of the ps3 and whether the 360 really has shot its load.

Just to add, Resistances developers claimed they used about 10% of what the PS3 is capable of with fall of man....if thats true, theres a lot more to come

Linik

Judging from the games so far they both have the same quality.

While x360 has a better gpu than ps3,ps3 has a secret weapon,cell.The cell processor can work like a gpu thus producing more detailed worlds/

i think that is the biggest difference.thanks to blu-ray(5 times the capacity of double-layer dvd ) and cell the ps3 can produce more detailed worlds.Otherwise they are on par

@Jordahn: Sure, I agree. But gameplay is precisely the reason why a faster-paced game like NG2 needs to run at 60 fps to control well, while Uncharted does fine at 30 fps. It's not just about being a graphical-whore.

Another way to put it is that I believe both the PS3 and the 360 could handle both games fine, in the worst case after small adjustments to account for the differences between the two consoles.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

@Jordahn: I didn't ignore it... I'm merely saying that both games have advantages the other one doesn't... Uncharted has more detailed models according to you, but how many of those models can you see on the screen at a given time? In Ninja Gaiden 2 you sometimes have upwards of 10 enemies close to you(and the corpses don't disappear), of course the characters can't be as detailed. That's not to mention the really ridiculous parts with dozens of enemies (where, admittedly, there's some slowdown). Ninja Gaiden 2 is also calculating many more pixels per second as you can see in my previous post.

I have looked at many PS3/360 games, and so far I haven't seen anything which tells me one is vastly superior to the other.

And every game has a different style of gameplay, some with less characters while others have more.  While I do agree (as in my first post) that the give and take differences between both consoles are trivial at this point.

:)

NJ5 said:

@Jordahn: Sure, I agree. But gameplay is precisely the reason why a faster-paced game like NG2 needs to run at 60 fps to control well, while Uncharted does fine at 30 fps. It's not just about being a graphical-whore.

Another way to put it is that I believe both the PS3 and the 360 could handle both games fine, in the worst case after small adjustments to account for the differences between the two consoles.

I see your point in this.  Could NG2 run fine at 30fps?  I guess we'll never know.  But since I can run at 60fps while working well for its gameplay, more power to it.