By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Announces Video on Demand Service coming to a PS3 near you Summer 08!!

Linky: http://kotaku.com/5019807/first-shots-of-ps3-video-download-service-due-in-summer-2008

First Shots Of PS3 Video Download Service, Due In "Summer 2008"

Sony held a little mid-term corporate strategy meeting today in Japan. On the menu? All kinds of Sony stuff, but of particular interest to us, all kinds of PlayStation-related stuff. First up? These shots of the PS3's upcoming video download service, which formed part of a presentation by Kaz Hirai. As you can see, it's largely identical to the current PlayStation Store interface, though it's nice seeing the whole thing move out of the "will be here sometime" stage and into what's surely the "will be here soon" stage. But how soon?

Part of Sony boss Howard Stringer's presentation touches on the company's "video service rollout strategy", whereby they're looking at getting video download services running on not just the PS3, but the PSP, laptops, phones and beyond. That presentation has, as you can see, the PS3 and PSP tentatively scheduled to see the service in "Summer 2008". Expect more info at E3.

Can I be the first to say "Finally!"? 

You'd think having a massive Movie Studio, that they'd be the first one to hop on the whole "VoD" thing, but noooo... They have to be second.

Well, at least it's coming.

Around the Network

Would this be movie rentals?

Would it be a service you pay for like comcast?

That's awesome for PS3 owners... ie, not you DMeisterJ ;)

Haha, kidding. Good to see the integration of Sony Ericsson phones into that thing.

Don't really care if it's on the PS3, but it would be cool for the PSP.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

That's an awesome idea incorporating VOD onto Bravia's. Goes together perfectly.
And not to mention, better late than never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

Yes, HD !!!

OMFG I HAVE AND HD TV!!!

mM

I thought SONY was all about blu ray. Oh well we are used to this by now. I guess they lost to the 360 in this already as 360 has had ViOD for almost a year and keeps getting better. When will PS3 ever catch up

It's interesting to see. We'll have to see how much it costs. I'm not completely sold on the online movie rentals yet (from any company).

I give this thread a 9.7.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

We'll have to see if this catches on. The 360's video-download service didn't exactly set the world on fire, but maybe the PS3's userbase will be more receptive to it.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

neta but trather watch a blu-ray disc.and have physical form of media.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721