By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Puts Network at Center of Mid-term Strategy

Plaupius said:
It does seem likely that they actually mean PSP and PS3 sales combined, but that is not what the article is saying. Actually, the wording in the article is pretty clear on that:

"The PlayStation 3, which shipped with an Internet connection from launch, is one of its most widely used network-capable products beyond PCs. Around 50 million of the consoles are in the hands of consumers [...]"

Maybe it's a mistake by the journalist, or perhaps the article was cut shorter and this error got overlooked. Anyhow, if Sony wishes to make Blu-Ray a success, it seems poor strategy to undermine that goal by offering a directly competing product. It sends a message to the market that even Sony thinks the future is in downloading content and not in physical media, so why would others enforce Blu-Ray in that situation?

XD

What a typo

On topic:

I expected it, they basically leaked it(they showed HD TV icons from tv programs on the ps store in one of there ads) for sure its going to be announced at E3, and maybe even released at e3.

mM
Around the Network
Plaupius said:
It does seem likely that they actually mean PSP and PS3 sales combined, but that is not what the article is saying. Actually, the wording in the article is pretty clear on that:

"The PlayStation 3, which shipped with an Internet connection from launch, is one of its most widely used network-capable products beyond PCs. Around 50 million of the consoles are in the hands of consumers [...]"

Maybe it's a mistake by the journalist, or perhaps the article was cut shorter and this error got overlooked. Anyhow, if Sony wishes to make Blu-Ray a success, it seems poor strategy to undermine that goal by offering a directly competing product. It sends a message to the market that even Sony thinks the future is in downloading content and not in physical media, so why would others enforce Blu-Ray in that situation?

For right now,  the level of content on Blu-Ray and the Quality of content is not going to be matched by any service.  It would be too much of a radical change for most consumers.  But, I agree, this does conflict with the Blu-ray, to an extent.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Feniris said:
Plaupius said:

For right now,  the level of content on Blu-Ray and the Quality of content is not going to be matched by any service.  It would be too much of a radical change for most consumers.  But, I agree, this does conflict with the Blu-ray, to an extent.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the level of content, and if by quality you mean image and audio quality, that's obviously true. However, the situation for Blu-Ray, as has been noted many times before, is not as clear cut as it was for DVD, and in the foreseeable future download rentals are going to grow and take a bigger piece of the cake. After the loss of HD-DVD, the competition for Blu-Ray is DVD and digital distribution, and in that light it is strange strategic positioning to enforce so heavily two directly competing offerings. It is, however, understandable that Sony does not want to be left out of the digital distribution, as it is inevitable that it will grow, it just seems they haven't figured out a way to do it in such a manner that would actually work with their current strategy with Blu-Ray.

call me a traditionalist, but i'd prefer my HD movies on physical media.
Trying to download 50 or so gb for just one movie? i'd rather spend a couple of bucks on the disk than spend many years (at my connection speed) and hair-pulling moments trying to download it.
So for me it would be a great thing for smaller tv shows in hi-def and/or trailers (which they already have) but for whole movies? count me out I'm afraid.

until i get 10gbs internet with no cap i just don't see the point right now, but maybe I will in 2011

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Plaupius said:
Feniris said:
Plaupius said:

For right now, the level of content on Blu-Ray and the Quality of content is not going to be matched by any service. It would be too much of a radical change for most consumers. But, I agree, this does conflict with the Blu-ray, to an extent.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the level of content, and if by quality you mean image and audio quality, that's obviously true. However, the situation for Blu-Ray, as has been noted many times before, is not as clear cut as it was for DVD, and in the foreseeable future download rentals are going to grow and take a bigger piece of the cake. After the loss of HD-DVD, the competition for Blu-Ray is DVD and digital distribution, and in that light it is strange strategic positioning to enforce so heavily two directly competing offerings. It is, however, understandable that Sony does not want to be left out of the digital distribution, as it is inevitable that it will grow, it just seems they haven't figured out a way to do it in such a manner that would actually work with their current strategy with Blu-Ray.

Well, I agree with what you said, for the most part.  Many a person is going to be like Spankey, not wanting to go downloads only so quickly.  This is the reason that it will be quite a while longer (IMO) till we get to that point.  As far as what I meant by level of content, I mean things that are normally stored on DVD outside of the actual movie.  (Special features, Ect.) Most likely, those will have to be downloaded serperately for a while.  But, I'm not quite sure on that statement, if anyone wants to back me up on that, please do so.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Around the Network
Spankey said:

Trying to download 50 or so gb for just one movie? i'd rather spend a couple of bucks on the disk than spend many years (at my connection speed) and hair-pulling moments trying to download it.
So for me it would be a great thing for smaller tv shows in hi-def and/or trailers (which they already have) but for whole movies? count me out I'm afraid.

until i get 10gbs internet with no cap i just don't see the point right now, but maybe I will in 2011

I don't know what movies you are talking about, but lets just say that I "aquired" a HD copy of Children of Men, and it's only 6-7gb.

SamuelRSmith said:
Spankey said:

I don't know what movies you are talking about, but lets just say that I "aquired" a HD copy of Children of Men, and it's only 6-7gb.

maybe, but uncompressed audio and video can be HUGE, especially at HD resolutions.

I just took 50gb as a ballpark figure for a theoretical movie that takes up an entire Blu-Ray

besides, 6-7gb would still take a few days for me to download at my current speeds :(

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Spankey said:

maybe, but uncompressed audio and video can be HUGE, especially at HD resolutions.

I just took 50gb as a ballpark figure for a theoretical movie that takes up an entire Blu-Ray

besides, 6-7gb would still take a few days for me to download at my current speeds :(

What speed are you running at, then?

The audio and video quality was good enough for me. I don't think Sony would be going full out on AQ et PQ as they want to give Blu-ray some advantages.

It's 50 million psps and ps3s. This is from Sony's investors conference. I think it is great that Sony is expanding the accessibility of the PSN.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.