By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Konami wants music peripherals to be universally compatible

"Rhythm game fans seem to be in a tough spot. It used to be that we could just buy whatever interested us, and that was that. Now, as new peripheral after new peripheral gets manufactured (of the same instruments), there's a problem: we're running out of space. Not all of us live in big, swanky mansions (or even small, cozy houses for that matter). Another problem? Money. Faux guitars and drum sets don't come cheap, so buying multiple game instruments isn't very economical."

Can't say that I don't agree with that. Soon we gonna need a full room just for our Wiis.

Full Story: http://www.gamenewsdirectory.com/news-details/56877-konami-wants-music-peripherals-to-be-universally-compatible

Around the Network

Bah! Communists, pfft.

This sounds like it could benefit many players. What's the point in buying Separate peripherals for different games, if they could easily be compatible with one another?

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Aren't the Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitars compaitible with each other (at least on 360)?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

They are compatible only on the 360. The Wii and PS3 versions do not work with each other for various reasons.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
whacker41 said:
This sounds like it could benefit many players. What's the point in buying Separate peripherals for different games, if they could easily be compatible with one another?

Money. You'll have to shell out much more cash for 5 game-spesific peripherals than for a single universal one, even if the universal thing is more expensive.

In business, greed often overrides common sense.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Mise said:
whacker41 said:

Money. You'll have to shell out much more cash for 5 game-spesific peripherals than for a single universal one, even if the universal thing is more expensive.

That sounded like his point.

Mise said:
whacker41 said:

From a business perspective it is better to sell one game then not sell one. Conflicting peripherals means fewer people buying your game due to the barrier for of entry being so high. More people are willing to pay 50/60 rather than 170. It is less business greed, and more malice and an attempt to drive your competitor out of business.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Mise said:
whacker41 said:

From a business perspective it is better to sell one game then not sell one. Conflicting peripherals means fewer people buying your game due to the barrier for of entry being so high. More people are willing to pay 50/60 rather than 170. It is less business greed, and more malice and an attempt to drive your competitor out of business.

Bingo, it's the guitar hero vs. rock band war.  The companies make a bit of money on stand alone accessories, but you can find rock band for $150.  Stand alone accesories run $60 guitar/$50 drums/$30 mike.  So they can't make that much more of a margin by selling the bundle versus just selling the game.  It's a stupid game because there is enough rythum fans to keep both series going strong.  We'll see if Guitar Hero realizes this when they see that despite the fact that GH4 is superior to Rock Band, it will sell less due to people not wanting a second fake drum set.  (By sell worse, I'm excluding those that will get it just for guitar purposes).  They probably won't care because they'll still make tons of money.

cleveland124 said:

Bingo, it's the guitar hero vs. rock band war.  The companies make a bit of money on stand alone accessories, but you can find rock band for $150.  Stand alone accesories run $60 guitar/$50 drums/$30 mike.  So they can't make that much more of a margin by selling the bundle versus just selling the game.  It's a stupid game because there is enough rythum fans to keep both series going strong.  We'll see if Guitar Hero realizes this when they see that despite the fact that GH4 is superior to Rock Band, it will sell less due to people not wanting a second fake drum set.  (By sell worse, I'm excluding those that will get it just for guitar purposes).  They probably won't care because they'll still make tons of money.

For non wii systems I agree...

However, for wii owners it will probably be Rockband that sells less.  I know a couple of people that were going to get Rock Band for the wii (which it's late for compared to 360), and then I pointed out GH4 is only a few months away and better and the guitar from GH3 isn't compatible with rock band for the wii, and they decided to wait...