By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony aims for profitability in TV, games by March

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080626/japan_sony.html

AP
Sony aims for profitability in TV, games by March
Thursday June 26, 5:15 am ET
By Yuri Kageyama, AP Business Writer

Sony aims for profitability in TV and video game businesses by March 2009

TOKYO (AP) -- Sony outlined its strategy for growth Thursday geared at regaining its lead in TVs, wiping out the red ink in video games and rolling out movie services to woo Net-savvy consumers.

Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer vowed the company will become profitable in its money-losing TV and game businesses during this fiscal year ending March 2009.

Stringer said Sony has achieved recovery since 2005 by exiting or downsizing 15 product categories, reducing 10,000 global workers and shutting down 11 manufacturing sites.

When Stringer, a Welsh-born American, became the first foreigner to head Sony, the manufacturer of the Walkman portable player and PlayStation 3 game console had been battered by cheaper rivals, and fallen behind in key products such as digital music players to innovative makers like Apple Inc.

"Our job, however, is not complete," he said in outlining the strategy for the Japanese electronics and entertainment company at its Tokyo headquarters. "We must complete our transformation."

Stringer said Sony must now come up with better software and services in its products that match its longtime reputation for hardware gadgets and entertainment content.

In the autumn, Sony will start delivering in the U.S. feature films and TV shows as streaming video directly to Bravia TVs, without using satellite or cable distribution systems, but through the Internet, an industry first, he said.

That service will start with "Hancock" from Sony Pictures, which is becoming available before it comes out in DVDs, Stringer said.

A movie download service will come for the PlayStation 3 home console in the summer in the U.S., said Kazuo Hirai, who heads Sony Corp.'s video game unit. The service will be offered in Japan and Europe at later dates, although details weren't available until next month.

"Please expect more from our evolving PlayStation business," Hirai told reporters.

Although Sony made an error in not pursuing flat-panel TVs soon enough, the company has now become No. 1 in global share in liquid-crystal display TVs, thanks to the joint-venture in panel production Sony has with South Korean rival Samsung Electronics Co., said Sony President Ryoji Chubachi, who heads the company's electronics operations.

Sony will better focus on core businesses, which the executives will now include its gaming business, as well as personal computers, Blu-ray disc products, computer chips, LCD TVs, digital cameras and mobile phones, Chubachi said.

Sony is investing 1.8 trillion yen ($16.7 billion) over the next three years for future technology, mostly to beef up those core areas, executives said.

Sony said it hopes to double annual sales from Brazil, Russia, India and China overall to 2 trillion yen ($18.5 billion) by March 2011.

"Sony believes that the largest growth opportunities exist outside its traditional markets of Japan, North America and Europe," it said in a statement.

Stringer said Sony continues to be focused on profitability, setting a target of 5 percent operating profitability margin.

"When Sony is united, Sony is unbeatable," he said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I thought Sony made money on TVs this past FY, am I wrong in saying that?

FilaBrasileiro said:
I thought Sony made money on TVs this past FY, am I wrong in saying that?

The title says no, the text says "regaining its lead in TVs" which doesn't imply what the title says, but doesn't contradict it either... so I don't know.

Didn't they always make a profit in TV?? I am confused....

anyways good news I guess, they have a focus & will be aggressive towards it

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I always knew that when Kaz said "by 2009" he didn't mean at the end of the 2009 fiscal year, he meant the beginning.

I'm glad I proved myself right.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
I always knew that when Kaz said "by 2009" he didn't mean at the end of the 2009 fiscal year, he meant the beginning.

I'm glad I proved myself right.

+1 for DMeisterJ.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@DMeisterJ: I don't remember there being a question about that. All the reports I've seen about this had Sony aiming for profit towards the end of fiscal 2008, the same thing they're saying here.

Well best of luck to Kaz with that aim

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Hmm, so they're expected to continue to post losses for another 9 months before they break even? Wow. Thats quite a shock, I was hoping/expecting them to announce profitable quarters from Q3 this year onwards.

Tease.

NJ5 said:
@DMeisterJ: I don't remember there being a question about that. All the reports I've seen about this had Sony aiming for profit towards the end of fiscal 2008, the same thing they're saying here.

Oh trust me, there was.

Many people were saying that by him saying "by 2009" he meant the end of the Fiscal Year. 

Trust me.