By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Camelot up for Breath of Fire series revival

Camelot up for Breath of Fire series revival

June 26th, 2008

A portion of a C3 interview with the Takahashi brothers…

C3: Considering your current deal with Capcom, and the fact that the company has left its Breath of Fire series untouched for far too long, would you ever give consideration to tackling the resurrection of that RPG franchise?

The Takahashi Brothers: We get asked this a lot recently. The development team is extremely important in making an RPG and when some of the team left after Mario Tennis GBA we had to say it wasn’t possible. Lately, however, the gap is being filled and I’m quite confident to take on pretty much anything. It is possible to start planning for titles such as the Breath of Fire series. As I mentioned earlier, the number of games we can develop at a time is quite limited so we would like to consider what people want the most in order to determine the next title for development.

I wonder if Capcom would actually want to go through with that idea. Is there still a market for Breath of Fire?

Link

Around the Network

Short answer: Yes, there is a moderate market.

Long answer: Wii and DS are going to be the consoles for JRPGs in the second half of this gen.

Breath of Fire would be positively synergistic with those RPGs and the BoF VC releases, anthropomorphic animals appeal to Wii/DS owners, JRPG line up (think of it as a Venue effect, instead of competing with each other they begin to complement each other).

BoF Wii/DS would easily sell 500-700k WW on nostalgia and synergy alone within 12 months. If it is actually good then it would be another 1.5 million seller for Capcom.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I KNEW I should've put this in the Nintendo forum.

But yeah, that would be great for the franchise. As long as it did get revived, and Camelot were working on it, well, I'd punch the air in the fashion of the Nintendo64 kid. Regarless of console.

There better be a fishing mini game.

While it probably would be successful, like I posted above, I gave it some more thought. I don't think it will happen.

Camelot, Capcom, and Nintendo have to pick and choose, like the Bros. said.

development costs: Too high
Time: Too long

Making up for lost profit here would require sequels, but I don't think sequels would sell as well. Once the appetite for a new BoF is satiated, gamers will be over it. It will be too late in the generation to reuse content for a cheap sequel.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Well, I certainly wouldn't rule out a revival on the DS. Because then:

- Development costs would be low

- They can develop it quickly

If there is a new Sequel in the series, expect it to be on the DS.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

steven787 said:

Long answer: DS is the consoles for JRPG in this gen.

Breath of Fire would be positively synergistic with those RPGs and the BoF VC releases, anthropomorphic animals appeal to Wii/DS owners, JRPG line up (think of it as a Venue effect, instead of competing with each other they begin to complement each other).

BoF Wii/DS would easily sell 500-700k WW on nostalgia and synergy alone within 12 months. If it is actually good then it would be another 1.5 million seller for Capcom.

fixed. I would not consider the Wii to be the "home console for JRPG's", that'll either be the 360 or PS3 because right now they are with the 360, but once the PS3 actually has a solid userbase, they'll go back to sony (unless sony pull yet another "we won't pay for exclusivity" stunt.

please be on psp, please be on psp =P

Only because I don't want to buy a DS =P

CAL4M1TY said:
steven787 said:

Long answer: DS is the consoles for JRPG in this gen.

but once final fantasy xiii is released, jrpg's will flock back to the ps3 in droves (unless sony pull yet another "we won't pay for exclusivity" stunt).

Fixed for what you really mean.

Yes good news..
Breath of fire 2 is still one of my favorite rpg:s