By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

I have to ask one thing about those NPD totals... Are those numbers the result of summing up all of NPDs monthly numbers? If that's the case, that won't account for adjustments to their data (which do happen according to what I've heard).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I believe there is more to the Americas than just the US and Canada. Some Central and South American countries may account for the difference. Yet another thing Diomedes ignored.

cookingyourmama said:

Whilst Diomedes can act like a fanboy at times he does have a point. Their is a big difference between vgchartz american numbers and npd's for the wii and 360 but not for the ps3. Now i'm not saying who is right and who is wrong i'm just stating the facts that the two sets of numbers are very different.

As of the end of may 2008 npd total ltd's are this:

PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
360 - 10,270,000

When you add in canada's numbers which is a combination of reported numbers and % estimates based on previous american numbers compared to the same month of canadian numbers you get:

PS3 - 4,911,806
Wii - 11,121,396
360 - 11,111,757

Now comparing that to vgchartz numbers for the same time you get:

npd+canada  4,911,806 - vgc  4,943,560 - +31,754
npd+canada 11,121,396 - vgc 11,891,587 - +770,191
npd+canada 11,111,757 - vgc 11,599,497 - +487,740

The ps3 numbers are almost identical with vgchartz being +31,754 higher

The wii ltd number is vastly above npd's ltd number at +770,191 higher. Anybody who thinks being over three quaters of a million isn't a significantly higher number needs their head checked.

The 360's number is again well above npd's ltd number at +487,740 higher. That's almost half a million.

Now if all 3 consoles were roughly the same when it came to being higher or lower to npd's numbers i wouldn't say anything but the fact their is such a huge difference is something that can't be ignored.

Diomedes doesn't have a point, because he is claiming the difference is twice as big as your numbers. Personally I agree that going by NPDs numbers the PS3 numbers seem a bit low (maybe around 200k, which would put it in line with 360 percentage wise), I don't believe they hardly sold any console in Mexico and South America, although I could see some good reasons why it could be by far the worst selling console there. Cause it is the most expensive console (which must hurt even more in countries with lower income) and it hasn't been hacked yet, which could make it even less attractive in those areas. Wii's numbers lined up pretty good with their shipment numbers for the end of March, so although they are higher than NPDs combined number they seem to be pretty acurate. Microsoft hasn't given a breakdown between regions for their shipment numbers, so we can't really compare those. But selling around 500k units in the rest of the Americas in almost 30 months time seem to be a pretty reasonable number.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not even sure PS3 is officially released in South America yet, so if it only is sold in Mexico there might not be a good reason to expect PS3 to be significantly higher than NPD US and Canada combined.

Marty8370 said:
PS3's are in short supply, that's why sales are down. Sony has already gone on record stating the new MGS4 bundles will appear in July.

That was in america

koffieboon said:
cookingyourmama said:

Whilst Diomedes can act like a fanboy at times he does have a point. Their is a big difference between vgchartz american numbers and npd's for the wii and 360 but not for the ps3. Now i'm not saying who is right and who is wrong i'm just stating the facts that the two sets of numbers are very different.

PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
360 - 10,270,000

When you add in canada's numbers which is a combination of reported numbers and % estimates based on previous american numbers compared to the same month of canadian numbers you get:

PS3 - 4,911,806
Wii - 11,121,396
360 - 11,111,757

npd+canada 4,911,806 - vgc 4,943,560 - +31,754

The wii ltd number is vastly above npd's ltd number at +770,191 higher. Anybody who thinks being over three quaters of a million isn't a significantly higher number needs their head checked.

The 360's number is again well above npd's ltd number at +487,740 higher. That's almost half a million.

Now if all 3 consoles were roughly the same when it came to being higher or lower to npd's numbers i wouldn't say anything but the fact their is such a huge difference is something that can't be ignored.

Diomedes doesn't have a point, because he is claiming the difference is twice as big as your numbers. Personally I agree that going by NPDs numbers the PS3 numbers seem a bit low (maybe around 200k, which would put it in line with 360 percentage wise), I don't believe they hardly sold any console in Mexico and South America, although I could see some good reasons why it could be by far the worst selling console there. Cause it is the most expensive console (which must hurt even more in countries with lower income) and it hasn't been hacked yet, which could make it even less attractive in those areas. Wii's numbers lined up pretty good with their shipment numbers for the end of March, so although they are higher than NPDs combined number they seem to be pretty acurate. Microsoft hasn't given a breakdown between regions for their shipment numbers, so we can't really compare those. But selling around 500k units in the rest of the Americas in almost 30 months time seem to be a pretty reasonable number.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not even sure PS3 is officially released in South America yet, so if it only is sold in Mexico there might not be a good reason to expect PS3 to be significantly higher than NPD US and Canada combined.

Sooooooo what you're trying to say is npd a multi million company who's job it is to track numbers are totally wrong and at the same time microsoft, nintendo and sony who know their own numbers stand by whilst npd report wrong numbers and they don't say anything, yeah sure makes perfect sense......

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:
koffieboon said:
cookingyourmama said:

PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
360 - 10,270,000

PS3 - 4,911,806
Wii - 11,121,396
360 - 11,111,757

npd+canada 4,911,806 - vgc 4,943,560 - +31,754

Sooooooo what you're trying to say is npd a multi million company who's job it is to track numbers are totally wrong and at the same time microsoft, nintendo and sony who know their own numbers stand by whilst npd report wrong numbers and they don't say anything, yeah sure makes perfect sense......

Why don't you wait and see who's numbers look more correct or not ...

We're 4 days away from the quarter end, and by July 11th it is likely that all three companies will have released some numbers about software and hardware shipments. If Nintendo announced that they have shipped over 13 Million units to the Americas, being that they're still hard to find will you accept that that your assumptions are wrong?

cookingyourmama said:

No, what I am saying is that the Americas (so Vgchartz numbers) account for more than only the US and Canada, so sales in other countries (like Mexico and Brazil) make up the difference. So those 700k Wiis and 500k Xbox 360s might have been sold in the rest of the Americas. However when I looked up the launch date for PS3 for Brazil I got the impression it hasn't launched there yet, so I doubt it is even released in South America already. If not, then only Mexico is left to raise PS3 sales above NPDs numbers for the US and Canada and it is possible that the PS3 isn't selling too well in Mexico. If there are hardly any sales for PS3 in the remainder of the Americas it means PS3 numbers for the Americas should be almost equal to NPD US + Canada.

It's true that the America stats on this site include Canada, and maybe even Central America, so there's this difference. As for the PS3, such a drop is expected since either that the bundles aren't restocked fast enough, or it's just the typical drop off after the launch.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

koffieboon said:
cookingyourmama said:

No, what I am saying is that the Americas (so Vgchartz numbers) account for more than only the US and Canada, so sales in other countries (like Mexico and Brazil) make up the difference. So those 700k Wiis and 500k Xbox 360s might have been sold in the rest of the Americas. However when I looked up the launch date for PS3 for Brazil I got the impression it hasn't launched there yet, so I doubt it is even released in South America already. If not, then only Mexico is left to raise PS3 sales above NPDs numbers for the US and Canada and it is possible that the PS3 isn't selling too well in Mexico. If there are hardly any sales for PS3 in the remainder of the Americas it means PS3 numbers for the Americas should be almost equal to NPD US + Canada.

In a nutshell it's not very likely that next to no ps3's have been sold in the rest of america and 500k 360's and 700k wii's have been sold in the same regions that sony has sold next to nothing.

cookingyourmama said:

In a nutshell it's not very likely that next to no ps3's have been sold in the rest of america and 500k 360's and 700k wii's have been sold in the same regions that sony has sold next to nothing.

Outside of developed nations, the sales potential of most consoles is directly related to how easy and affordable it is to steal games. Being that it is (from my knowledge) still impossible to burn PS3 games and play them on your system, it would still be amazingly expensive if you could (just looking at writeable Blu-Ray discs), and Blu-Ray hardware to stamp "official" discs is still amazingly expensive (and probably difficult to get your hands on) how desireable is the PS3 in regions where most people do not buy games?