By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360/PS3 will have the same "quality" of shooters/360 STILL better.

No offense, but after your whole topic about the amount of fanboy threads, I'm disappointed to see this coming from you (Squilliam).

But to directly respond to your post, I disagree. Of course, I respect your opinion, but I obviously don't agree with the conclusion you game to.

SOCOM, GRAW, GR2, R6: Ravenshield, CS:S all feature realistically modeled guns and punishing damage models (couple shots and you are dead). Yet all of them feature, in my eyes, a completely unique style of gameplay. I never loaded up Ghost Recon when I was in the mood for R6: Ravenshield. I never loaded CS:S when I was in the mood for SOCOM. And it's annoying to see people write off all FPS games as a generic FPS.

Similarly, RFOM, Halo 3, Killzone 1, COD4 (which you compared to RFOM?) all feature unique gameplay in my opinion. You can't even really compare them, and it's astounding that you come to the conclusion that COD4 plays like RFOM, and Resistance 2 will be the same as Killzone 2.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Squillium first you post bull$hit about MGS4 being 27fps, now you attack the PS3 yet again.

You said you wanted fanboyish troll threads to end, now why are you posting more of these troll threads?

This isn't a troll thread, this isn't a fanboy thread.

This is going to be heated, but I was trying to be fair to both parties.

I said the PS3 lineup was the equal in terms of quality.

My argument is that the Xbox360 lineup gells better when considered as a whole.

If you're upset. Prove me wrong.

Tease.

Halo 3 may not have been anything special in single player. (even thought I liked it a lot but I admit it was the same old)
But the multiplayer was amazing, still the best FPS multiplayer on the home consoles in my opinion...and the inclusion the Forge feature...kickass.

We will see what Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 offer however.

Torillian said:
@Twesterm
I think Resistance 2 might be able to bring something special with the multiplayer and the other additions they hope to bring in if they can pull it off, but I agree that KZ2 doesn't appear to be anything special.

Yes you're right, it does have special written into the code. Insomniac are getting better and better, it looks like a CODIV with its own slant to me at this point. Im picking it to be a 90% exclusive.

Tease.

Resistance and halo are almost EXACTLY the same type of shooter, right down to the use of your alien opponents weaponry and vehicle sections. How can you say Halo is different to other FPS shooters!?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
bobobologna said:
No offense, but after your whole topic about the amount of fanboy threads, I'm disappointed to see this coming from you (Squilliam).

But to directly respond to your post, I disagree. Of course, I respect your opinion, but I obviously don't agree with the conclusion you game to.

SOCOM, GRAW, GR2, R6: Ravenshield, CS:S all feature realistically modeled guns and punishing damage models (couple shots and you are dead). Yet all of them feature, in my eyes, a completely unique style of gameplay. I never loaded up Ghost Recon when I was in the mood for R6: Ravenshield. I never loaded CS:S when I was in the mood for SOCOM. And it's annoying to see people write off all FPS games as a generic FPS.

Similarly, RFOM, Halo 3, Killzone 1, COD4 (which you compared to RFOM?) all feature unique gameplay in my opinion. You can't even really compare them, and it's astounding that you come to the conclusion that COD4 plays like RFOM, and Resistance 2 will be the same as Killzone 2.

Thanks for the info on Socom - sounds like an awesome game. All FPS games are unique in some way when compared to another. I never said that similarity = bad if you love that style of gameplay. Infact if its the type of gameplay you love, then more of the same will make you really happy.

Killzone 2 actually*

Perhaps some of my ignorance of a few of the PS3 titles is getting the better of me here!

Perhaps the better definition is that yes they are unique but they aren't unique enough? - Make both of us happy? I found the gameplay in RFOM to be quite similar to COD IV in execution. Style was a bit different but the execution was quite similar.

Tease.

colonelstubbs said:
Resistance and halo are almost EXACTLY the same type of shooter, right down to the use of your alien opponents weaponry and vehicle sections. How can you say Halo is different to other FPS shooters!?

It's actually funny you mentioned that.  I don't like either game's multiplayer, but I was watching a couple videos of a good Resistance 1 player, and it reminded me of the Halo 3 video's I've seen.  Shoot with whatever weapon, until you close in, then melee the player.  It was very reminiscent of Halo multiplayer videos I've seen.

In fact, here's the video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOweYs-WXE

Don't tell me that the play style doesn't remind you of Halo 3 (minus the vehicles).  There's even a little tea-bagging in there.

colonelstubbs said:

The gameplay in Halo - More arcadey

The art style - Bright and colourful vs muted and dark.

Guns - Similar.

Style of multiplayer - some similarities but different. I have aknowledged in the past that I felt that RFOM was like COD+Halo in some respects with about 20% unique special sauce.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

The Xbox360 and the PS3 are both excellent consoles for shooters, but for someone with one platform who is a big shooter fan the Xbox360 is still the best place to be, even if quality available is comparable.

The multiplatforms - CODIV, CODV, Bioshock, Battlefield Bad company + Many more.

The Exclusives for the PS3 - RFOM1/2, KZ2, Socom *Forgive me, im not up to speed on this title*,

Edit: Ok - MGS4 (Unique), i'll leave out the rest because I don't want to bring in too many more shooters.

For the most part, whilst the PS3 exclusives look to be high quality. They are very comparible with the multiplatform games out there. Its just more of the same. RFOM/KZ2/*Socom* have to compete directly with the multiplatforms available to get any traction. They are very similar in gameplay and style. RFOM feels a lot like CODIV to me for instance. They don't lack anything individually and are all excellent titles, they just don't seem to distinguish themselves from each other and the multiplatform games. Edit: The most distinguished title availabe on the PS3 is MGS4 when considered from the perspective of its similarity or lack there of to other titles available on the system

For the gamer, who wants to play the same game ad-nauseum over and over? Its great to have a quality title or two in your collection, but what incentive is there to buy KZ2 if you're already loving Resistances multiplayer? Even Sony understands this, and one of the reasons given for KZ2's delay was the fact it was "too similar to RFOM2".

The Xbox360 Exclusives - Left 4 Dead, Gears of War 1/2, Halo 3

The interesting thing here is : All of the above are unique between themselves and unique when compared to the multiplatform games available. They round out the multiplatform games without competing directly with them. They each have their own style and they have each got unique gameplay elements that set themselves aside and above their competition. They are also made by three of the BEST FPS develpers so they bring something special to the table. Valve, Epic and Bungie are quite an amazing combination.

For the style of games the PS3 has, multiplatforms are perfectly comparable. For the style of games the 360 has, the PS3 doesn't have such variety.

The quality is there individually yes for both platforms. The thing is this, Microsoft has just done a better job at bringing the gamer a better lineup to enjoy.

This is not a jibe on Sony, I haven't said they lacked quality FPS games. They are all excellent. What im saying to sum it up is that the Xbox360 has a better lineup when you think about all the games together as a package.

then have fun playing your shooters on 360

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Squilliam said:
bobobologna said:

Thanks for the info on Socom - sounds like an awesome game. All FPS games are unique in some way when compared to another. I never said that similarity = bad if you love that style of gameplay. Infact if its the type of gameplay you love, then more of the same will make you really happy.

Killzone 2 actually*

Perhaps some of my ignorance of a few of the PS3 titles is getting the better of me here!

Perhaps the better definition is that yes they are unique but they aren't unique enough? - Make both of us happy? I found the gameplay in RFOM to be quite similar to COD IV in execution. Style was a bit different but the execution was quite similar.

I mentioned Killzone 1 because that game is already out, and I've played it, and thus I can say with certainty, that IMO, Killzone 1, RFOM, COD4, Halo 3 all play differently. If Resistance 2 is anything like Resistance 1, and Killzone 2 is anything like Killzone 1, then the games aren't really comparable.

In other words, I'm not basing my opinion on screenshots, or what I've heard about the games, or what I've seen in videos, but on actual experience with those games from actually playing them.