By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Future of Live following PSN Update

Summary:

The direction that I foresee Microsoft going following the release of the PSN firmware announcement and distribution.  I touch on their investments and why I feel they are focusing on the Massive Multiplayer Online Gaming space. 

For me the one thing that sets the consoles apart is Multiplayer.  Formally a sole PC gamer, I have never really cared for single player experiences.  Occasionally, you can catch me playing an RPG or Action game but I prefer to play multiplayer games.

With the coming of the new PS Firmware I expect to see Sony take a leap from Single player heavy gaming into a more intuitive and complete multiplayer package. (Note: This will happen over a series of tweaks and updates after the software is launched)  However, I also see Microsoft taking some big steps moving forward to counter their main competitor’s actions.   

What I foresee is Microsoft unveiling and focusing on MMO games.  If you haven’t noticed, the 360 has a plethora of MMO games heading its way late this year and again next year.  With titles such as Age of Conan (Funcom), All Points Bulletin (Real Time Worlds), Champions Online (Cryptic Studios), Huxley (Webzen) and many others, this appears to be the direction that MS is heading.  Another factor I believe will be XBL Gold members not having to pay any additional subscription fee other then there XBL membership.

Also of note are the corporate investments that Microsoft has made into the online gaming space.

1. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-065000PatentPR.mspx

Description:

1.1 - A system for generating a spectator experience in real time from a game or event, such as highlights, instant replays, and unique views of the action within a game to enhance the experience for spectators rather than players. Using viewing controls, a spectator can control one or more virtual cameras to select desired viewpoints or an automated camera control to frame the action and perform specific cuts to best convey the story and action.  

1.2 - A portal such as a Web site to access spectator-related services such as schedules and information on multiple games and events as well as the number of spectators and participants in each. The portal allows the spectator to find the most popular games to watch, preview the action, and then connect to the desired game or event.

Note the above (1.1 and 1.2) is patented by Microsoft.

IMO, MMO games tend to be played for years without losing any steam.  Take World of Warcraft for example and its ever growing user base.  I fully expect the 360 to be the next platform for MMO games and see it being a key point in its success moving forward.  I don’t think anyone can refute Sony’s upcoming library as I fully expect games like Killzone 2, FF13 and God of War 3 to be amazing, however, I feel Microsoft will expand their target market and leverage their technical infrastructure to further innovate the online gaming space. 

When MS stated that the 360 has the hardcore market I believe this is what they meant.  Hardcore gamers will pay a small fee to play games against a community of others as long as the service is fully encompassed.  Going forward I expect to see some large developments in online gaming for the 360 and can imagine how enormous the experience could be.

As previously stated, I care much more for Multiplayer gaming and as such, I am hoping to hear more news of MMO’s at this year’s E3.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

well that's probably why they are not doing an update as scheduled.... probably to make a bigger one later... and I totally agree about that

"When MS stated that the 360 has the hardcore market I believe this is what they meant. Hardcore gamers will pay a small fee to play games against a community of others as long as the service is fully encompassed. Going forward I expect to see some large developments in online gaming for the 360 and can imagine how enormous the experience could be."

hell I even stated before that' i'd probably play less online if it was free... the only fact that you have to pay is already screening people... and i believe it's a good thing...

Don't compare WoW to any other MMO, it simply can't be compared no MMO for at least a decade (other than a blizz MMO) will reach 10million subs. Secondly 5$ a month is NOT enough to support even 1 MMO and you expect multiple on the 360 soon? The 5$ a month would be burned up instantly and M$ would have to subsidize it.

Secondly I can't see console players wanting MMOs, in most MMOs you communicate via keyboard; which doesn't happen much on XBL and voice chat wouldn't work unless you had a preformed guild/group but how do you form those if communication is barely present? To top it all off Microsoft would have a new competition, Blizzard and they already have had a new MMO in the works for 2 years now to keep the WoW juggernaut subs with them.

Ssyn said:
Don't compare WoW to any other MMO, it simply can't be compared no MMO for at least a decade (other than a blizz MMO) will reach 10million subs. Secondly 5$ a month is NOT enough to support even 1 MMO and you expect multiple on the 360 soon? The 5$ a month would be burned up instantly and M$ would have to subsidize it.

Secondly I can't see console players wanting MMOs, in most MMOs you communicate via keyboard; which doesn't happen much on XBL and voice chat wouldn't work unless you had a preformed guild/group but how do you form those if communication is barely present? To top it all off Microsoft would have a new competition, Blizzard and they already have had a new MMO in the works for 2 years now to keep the WoW juggernaut subs with them.

To your first point, WoW can be compared to all of the MMO's as in business terms it is known as a Benchmark.  Its like how most car manufacturers benchmarked Toyota back in the early 1960's.  Many of them now have surpassed Toyota's quality assurance levels. 

Secondly, MS already has many MMO's in development as stated in the thread.  I dont no what you mean when you say not to expect them when they are already in development. 

Lastly, I am sure that MS can determine a way to communicate in game.  This is where innovation comes in to play, and the reason why I stated in my thread continue to innovate the online space. 

Competition is a good thing sir as without it corporations would monolopolize the market.  Take Standard Oil from the early 1900's, look at what they did. 

lol WoW is a baby MMO compare to what you can do with ultima online scripts maps etc when you dev a private shard... ok graphics are horrible... but once again pure MMORPG is not about visual it's about RP and game mechanics.... UO is far beyond what WoW has to offer IMO...

about the cost of servers for MMOs, that could be arguable... we'll see what's happening at E3 first..... text based communication on PC and especially MMO is mainly a downside than anything else.. voice communicator would enhanced the experience not the opposite.... after that it's easy to implement a guild system for a game... and you'll see guild website and forums poping up all over the web anyway...

Around the Network

XBoxLive is great and can only get better.

endimion said:
well that's probably why they are not doing an update as scheduled.... probably to make a bigger one later... and I totally agree about that

"When MS stated that the 360 has the hardcore market I believe this is what they meant. Hardcore gamers will pay a small fee to play games against a community of others as long as the service is fully encompassed. Going forward I expect to see some large developments in online gaming for the 360 and can imagine how enormous the experience could be."

hell I even stated before that' i'd probably play less online if it was free... the only fact that you have to pay is already screening people... and i believe it's a good thing...

that makes zero sense at all....

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

There are alot of 360 users on this site now..

What happened to legend?

mM

no, we are still greatly outnumbered... there are more than 15 of us now though

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Representing the elite.