By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is a bigger Franchise? God of War or Animal Crossing?

kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
Animal Crossing. One game in the animal crossing series out sold all in the god of war.

A game on DS, that's like calling Mario and Sonic a bigger franchise than God of War.

yes, it sold better, but is it a better game? Will it move consoles (a different console, nevertheless) and most importantly, will it get the hype it needed?

Mario and sonic is  not  a franchise as it is only one game (a multiplatform one between a handheld and a console, yes, but one game none the less) but that one game is bigger than any respective God of war (M&S Wii > GOW 1 and M&S Wii > GOW2; M&S DS > GOW COO).

The question in your OP was which is a bigger franchise, not which is the better game. You might want to more carefullyword your questions in the future.

And finally, to answer your question: On the GC/PS2 Animal Crossing and God of War were of a similar size (AC 2.98 and GOW 1&2 at 3.2 and 2.1 according to VGChartz) but on the DS/PSP AC exploded in popularity while GOW's popularity did not carry over from the PS2 (a shame) so yes, AC is a bigger franchise than GOW so far.

As for how they will fare on the Wii/PS3, I would expect AC Wii to do better than AC GC even if not all of its newfound popularity on DS translates back to the Wii as some of it will (both consoles have respectably sized casual audience and a lot of hardcore enjoy the different gameplay it offers) and as the Wii has more sales than the GC. GOW3 could either fall even further than GOW2 due to the smaller userbase or could get back to GOW1 numbers or slightly better as the competitive landscape of the PS3 is going to be much different than that of the PS2 with its flood of games, both great and horrid, and as GOW 3 will not have to compete with a same gen prior iteration of the franchise like GOW2 had to contend with GOW1.

Of course, due to the PS3's smaller userbase than the PS2's it will have a much better attach ratio than GOW1&2's pitiful 2-3% and will be heralded by PS3 fanboys as a greater success than AC Wii which will go on to sell much more than it.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Around the Network

It depends on in what context you are talking about. God of War has more name recognition if I go ask XYZ person with some experience with gaming.

Animal Crossing has undoubtedly sold more. In terms of console recognition, I would say God of War is a "bigger" franchise. In terms of portable console recognition, Animal Crossing has it in spades. The two often do not translate to the other that well, so I would say the series are more or less tied in terms of which is a bigger franchise.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

i think animal crossing is the bigger game

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'd just like to thank kingofwale and Soriku for starting this awesome thread.

Here are some trends we can look at:

Animal Crossing on N64: 0.26 million
Animal Crossing on GC: 2.98 million
Animal Crossing on DS: 9.47 million

God of War on PS2: 3.20 million
God of War 2 on PS2: 2.11 million
God of War on PSP: 0.75 million

As you can clearly see from these numbers, one franchise is growing exponentially, and one is shrinking very quickly.

God of War on the PS2 sold that much after it became a greatest hit.

And God of War 2 on the PS2 is still in NPD's top 20 last month apparently... I forget where I read that, but I'm almost certain that it's true. And that game is not a greatest hit yet. (Or maybe it was God of War 1), but anyway, once God of War 2 goes to greatest hits, expect similar sales to God of War 1.

But let's compare review scores.

God of War: 94

God of war 2: 93

God of War: Chains of Olympus: 91

Animal Crossing (Gamecube) 87

Animal Crossing DS: 86

Considering God of War is more "hardcore" and going to appeal to game reviewers... and that your talking like... 4-8 points between the two... i'd say your point falls apart.

Eight points between scores is a lot. 

Nothing to be scoffed at.

I'm not saying AC is bad, but GoW is (critically) a better game.

I vote Animal Crossing.

Around the Network

I vote for Animal Crossing too

DMeisterJ said:
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'd just like to thank kingofwale and Soriku for starting this awesome thread.

Here are some trends we can look at:

Animal Crossing on N64: 0.26 million
Animal Crossing on GC: 2.98 million
Animal Crossing on DS: 9.47 million

God of War on PS2: 3.20 million
God of War 2 on PS2: 2.11 million
God of War on PSP: 0.75 million

As you can clearly see from these numbers, one franchise is growing exponentially, and one is shrinking very quickly.

God of War on the PS2 sold that much after it became a greatest hit.

And God of War 2 on the PS2 is still in NPD's top 20 last month apparently... I forget where I read that, but I'm almost certain that it's true. And that game is not a greatest hit yet. (Or maybe it was God of War 1), but anyway, once God of War 2 goes to greatest hits, expect similar sales to God of War 1.

But let's compare review scores.

God of War: 94

God of war 2: 93

God of War: Chains of Olympus: 91

Animal Crossing (Gamecube) 87

Animal Crossing DS: 86

Considering God of War is more "hardcore" and going to appeal to game reviewers... and that your talking like... 4-8 points between the two... i'd say your point falls apart.

Eight points between scores is a lot.

Nothing to be scoffed at.

I'm not saying AC is bad, but GoW is (critically) a better game.

8 points at is deepest is a big difference? That's less then 1 point on a 10 point scale.

Also it's fairly obvious why GoW would get a bit of a "bump" among videogame "critics."

Animal Crossing is the bigger game.

kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
Animal Crossing. One game in the animal crossing series out sold all in the god of war.

A game on DS, that's like calling Mario and Sonic a bigger franchise than God of War.

yes, it sold better, but is it a better game? Will it move consoles (a different console, nevertheless) and most importantly, will it get the hype it needed?

Well it has an average score in the high 80s in gamerankings. Not too far from God of War which is low 90s. The franchise will get hyped by casual and hardcore fans alike, and will move many consoles.

that's the difference between comparing an AA game with an AAA game. no different than comparing Gears of War with Resistence.

Game sold well... on DS, Will it sell as well on a home console?

Well let me tell you this. AC on Wii will not sell as much on Wii as it did on DS, but, it will almost double the sales of GOW3, mark my words.

Think for yourself, question authority

god of war of course but in sales Animal Crossing