By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX280 arrives at my office tomorrow morning.

We've ordered it for a customer to replace his 8800 ultra. I will run Vantage on it and tell you what it gets. If I remember rightly it runs in a core2quad/Vista x64 rig with 4gb ram so it should be fairly swift.

Around the Network

Why didn't you use SLI or Crossfire? For less money you can get much better performance with 8800GT SLI, 8800GTS SLI, 9800GTX SLI, 9800GX2 or HD48x0 CF.

Soleron said:

Why didn't you use SLI or Crossfire? For less money you can get much better performance with 8800GT SLI, 8800GTS SLI, 9800GTX SLI, 9800GX2 or HD48x0 CF.

Depends on the customer. Some people don't care about cost (government). Also, can't you SLI the 280? That would be the best solution. To start, you need at least one :)

He didn't want SLI or Crossfire because not all games use it. And £450 didn't bother him at all.

You lucky bastard!
Even so, I'm more excited to see how the new Radeon 4870 will hold up, hopefully it will rock!

Around the Network

huh, that sounds pretty damn sweet, blows my PCs specs away

TheRealMafoo said:
Soleron said:

Depends on the customer. Some people don't care about cost (government). Also, can't you SLI the 280? That would be the best solution. To start, you need at least one :)

MONEY. 8800GT SLI @ $360 street price > GTX280 @ $500+ street price

GTX280 SLI is indeed much faster, but also $1,000+. Which is fine, but obviously not in the price range of the OP's client otherwise a $1,000 Graphics setup would have been given.

I'm saying that the setup chosen is not the best value for money at that price point.

My work had them last week, a demo model from Evga, i think Asus are sending a batch tommorow, we've sold about 3 so far.

The 8800 Ultra and the 9600GT are still selling the most.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Well it also depends on the setup they have. If they don't have an SLI compatible mobo then they would also have to replace that, also possibly causing you to have to rebuy RAM (if the old mobo was DDR2 and the new one was DDR3, for example). In addition an SLI set-up tends to be very power hungry which also might require a PSU upgrade. The current upgrade is probably just a replacement video card and nothing really needs to be changed (maybe new video card drivers), otherwise it's a very simple upgrade. There are many factors that may go into this decision. ;-p

Should be a sweet set-up, I wonder how it'll go. :)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Also, i don't understand why he is even bothering with the card, a 8800 Ultra would run fine for months to come.

Guess he is the type to have the best of everything. :P

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina