By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Left 4 Dead videos

Bodhesatva said:
JaggedSac said:
It is to immerse you in the experience, make you feel more anxiety.

I don't care about immersion. I want to win. Anything that even remotely gets in the way of winning (such as obscuring a portion of my screen for dramatic effect) is not something I want.

Others are welcome to different preferences, of course, but Half Life mods have always been about competition (Counter Strike, TFC, DoD, TF2) and not "immersion" or photorealism. Valve's multiplayer games are about skill -- or at least, they usually are. We'll see with this one.

To be fair i think they are focusing more on the "Co-op Campaign" vs the Deathmatches.  Since the Deathmatches and playable zombies seemed to be "extra".

Around the Network
naznatips said:
JaggedSac said:
Slimebeast said:
JaggedSac said:

Well, never played Natural Selection, but Battlefield is pretty barren of people with mics. You might hear 1 guy a round with a mic, and Battlefield is screaming for strategizing, and the servers are full of players all the time. Not saying all mods are bad, just the majority. I loved TF for Quake, and a mod called Battle of the Sexes for Q2. Never cared at all for counter-strike. Tried it when it first came out and tried it again a little while ago, and still wasn't into it.

Same experience here with ET:Quake Wars on PC. Very advanced (and awesome) team player game, yet in a team of 16 players (plus the ppl that come in and out during a game) only 1-3 people talks into his mic during a whole game of 20 minutes. Most often you are in totally silent games though.

Yeah, I know how it is. I played some TF2 as well and I do not remember people talking at all. Maybe there are servers with more people talking than others.

Maybe one out of five TF2 servers don't use mics and co-ordinate strategy. And you know what? Since it's a PC it's actually easy to switch servers if that's a problem.

You do not want to compare Live to Steam... that will end extremely badly for XBL. Pretending any console service compares to PC online multiplayer is honestly just laughable.

You can say what you will boss man.  But I have yet to play any online pc games with a good saturation of voice communication.  And I play a pretty good bit of fpses(?) on pc, mostly squad based games, ie. Battlefield and Quake Wars, and the voice chat saturation on those games is guite bad.  TF2 is a pale comparison to the original.  I will reiterate that the guy in the interview was guinuenly happy that they were implementing a good friends list and matchmaking system, which has been done on Live for about 5 years now.  Steam is great for downloading games and am happy they are making strides in that regards.

JaggedSac said:
Dolla Dolla your making me look like a lazy asshole.

well, you...... nevermind.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

"You do not want to compare Live to Steam... that will end extremely badly for XBL. Pretending any console service compares to PC online multiplayer is honestly just laughable."

uh, kind of right. I love the fact that most games on pc's use dedicated servers, less lag, faster matches. BUT, voice communication is key to these types of games. If you stop to type something, you could possibly be boned. (voice communication is out of the question, since 1 out of 20 people use it)
Both types of online multiplayer have their ups, and downs. Personally, they are both totally different experiences.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

^^Well put.

Around the Network

I think saying that the strongest point of XBL is the voice communication is a big steaming pile.

A) The people I've heard on XBL range from annoying kid to frat boy to racist/sexist pig. I haven't really found the good in between, and I welcome silence compared to that.

B) You're completely full of it with this 1/20 people use mics, therefore "voice communication is out of the question."  I don't understand how one could assert that voice is "out of the question."  WTF?  I know I'll be talking to my friends in L4D as well as strangers over the mic and they'll be talking back, just like in TF2, just like in CS, DOD, what have you.

Read this carefully:

It really depends on the servers you pick or the people you're playing with. Some can be very friendly and fun and the whole server will be chatting...others will be quieter, and I honestly don't see the harm in a quieter server...you might not know this, but playing with a keyboard and mouse means you have access to a full-sized QWERTY keyboard and can quickly type something without killing yourself...compared to your options on the 360.

AND Left 4 Dead is a much more cooperative game like TF2 and will force good mic use.

Again, I say you guys are full of it simply because it sounds like you honestly don't game on the PC much, and that's fine, but don't act like you know the faults of PC gaming, because mic use is DEFINITELY not one of them.

As soon as I launch TF2 I put my headset on, because I start talking to people as soon as I'm in the game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Weird that only certain games on pc have voice chatting communities. Like I said before, Battlefield and Quake Wars do not. Interesting.

JaggedSac said:
Weird that only certain games on pc have voice chatting communities. Like I said before, Battlefield and Quake Wars do not. Interesting.

Do they have voice over ip on the PC? I think BF does though and Quake Wars does on Live.Some people just don't like talking. I have been playing playing tf2 alot lately to get my pyro achievements and I haven't farmed any of those. It makes me proud. But I haven't seen much communication on many servers lately, maybe 3-4 people on a team talking out of 12.

I do think with L4D people will talk more. You kind of have to unless you can pick up on things.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

JaggedSac said:

So what if PC gaming communities don't use voice chat as much as Xbox fans!? I would rather be playing in the comfort of silence against higher skilled opponents than listening to teenagers talking about teabagging, and who obviously are not as hard opponents as PC Quake Wars or Counter-Strike players. And PC having a keyboard that will report anything you want in just a few seconds is enough for most.

Besides, when it really counts you'll see every PC gamer with a headphone on Clan Wars, Amateur Leagues or Professional Gaming.

^^There are professional console gamers as well. Not sure what skill has to do with anything, but since we are talking about it...XBoxLive features a system where skill is calculated and you are matched with gamers of similar skill, so you are playing with people of equal skill. You get better as you play...the people you play get better. Works great in Halo 2/3. Of course voice communication is not important to some, but to others(like myself) it is very important. I haven't stopped playing pc games, I just cannot get that experience as easily as I can on all XBoxLive games. Perhaps I can dig up some MLG Halo footage that ESPN aired. Awesome stuff.