By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Zelda Wii had the concept of Mario Galaxy controls.

You don't want to make navi too important. lets face it, Zelda is supposed to be a Single Player game. Making it require a second player to be able to complete certain objectives just isn't acceptable.

In Mario Galaxy, the 2nd player had a lot of USEFUL things they could do, but nothing that couldn't be made up for by the single player having a bit more skill.

to list out what 2nd player could do in Mario Galaxy:

- Freeze Enemies; Non essential, enemies might be hard, but none were impossible to beat without being held by the second player. It did make it much easier though.

- Freeze boulders; Again, non essential. Nearly all boulders could be broken by hitting a red spot that was at a specific point, or the boulders could be dodged or jumped over.

- Freeze projectiles; Non essential, provided you have teh proper timing to reflect them or dodge them

- Freeze Shrinking platforms; Non essential but highly useful for giving a momentary respite in order to determine the best path to continue taking.

- Make Mario Jump Higher; Nearly Non essential, You could jump higher using carefully timed simultaneous jumps, but you could just as easily use a backflip or a wall jump in nearly every case where this would be useful.

- Help collect starbits; Useful, but not essential, teh 1st player could still collect starbits, but the amount gathered is almost always going to be higher with a 2nd player to gather these up (ooh, gives me an idea for another useful thing that Navi can do)

The reason why the Mario Galaxy implementation was fun was because there was no point in the game in which the 2nd player NEEDED to be present, yet there was almost never a point at which they couldn't be useful in some manner. On top of this, all the 2nd player needed to do to join was pick up a second controller and point at the screen

The reason why Tingle in Wind Waker was annoying is because there were very rare and specific circumstances in which tingle could actually be useful, and a LOT of the game there were points at which the 2nd player couldn't do anything at all. On top of this, in order for the 2nd player to join, the 1st player had to use the tingle tuner to specifically invite the second player on as tingle.

So like I said, getting Navi too involved is only going to be seen as a detriment to a game that is expected to be a single player game. Mario galaxy has the exact type of multiplayer inclusion that a single player game needs.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her