By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY lost 3.31 Billion on initial PS3 costs; May never see that money back.

tombi123 said:
Bodhesatva said:
tombi123 said:
If Blu-ray becomes as dominant as DVD, Sony will easily make this money back. The End.

Sigh, you've been here for too long to say stuff like this, Tombi.

Do you have any evidence to support this? At all? Any statistical data to indicate how much money Sony specifically makes? Factor in the continued marketing costs, derive the precise royalty fees for each Blu Ray sold, and then calculate precisely how much of each royalty payment goes to Sony, and not one of the other seventeen members on the board of directors? Are we certain that none of the other 94 members don't get a cut for their generous support? Do we know how much marketing costs will incur to support Blu Ray (not the PS3, but Blu Ray in particular)? I'd guess you have no evidence of any kind, because I've looked, and I certainly can't find any. It may be 200 million per board member, it may be 1 billion. I don't know. But you don't either, so stop using this defense.

And of course, all of this assumes, as you say, that Blu Ray takes off like DVD.

Sorry no data. But do you think 17 companies would spend billions of dollars developing a format, if it wasn't worth it in the end?

I am 99% sure Blu- Ray will take off like DVD. With all the film industry behind Blu-Ray, it doesn't matter whether the general public want it or not. Blu-Ray will get forced on the consumers. In a couple of years Blu-Ray players will hit mass market point. Film companies will start to release their films on Blu-Ray first, then on DVD later. As Blu-Ray player sales rise, film companies will forget about DVD's all together.

As the price of making films goes up, film companies can't keep selling DVD's at £10 at retail. Film companies would rather sell you a Blu-Ray film for £20, rather than a DVD for £10. As I say, film companies will force Blu-Ray upon the consumer, and as Blu-Ray player prices come down, the consumers will just accept this. 

You are pretty much right, of course people are going to whine and complain, but the same happened with VHS, CD and DVD. Maybe I still want to run Records on my old 45, can someone please point me to the latest Weezer album on Vinyl? Oh right, it was forced out of the market by a format that could leverage more profit for the industry.

Blu-Ray will hit the same level of use as DVD, America just switched or is about to switch to a pure Digital TV format and leave Analogue behind, HDTV's are literally selling like gang busters, it might have cost the PS3 in the beginning but Sony is going to reap massive rewards for this. Even at a 20-30% royalties.

oh well. I know this post was made in vain.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network
De85 said:
Million said:

So does that mean that we can drop the whole BS about the losses from the original Xbox dooming the 360 that PS3 fanboys love to make?

You would think that would only be fair. But then again all is fair in love and console war.

tombi123 said:
Bodhesatva said:
tombi123 said:
If Blu-ray becomes as dominant as DVD, Sony will easily make this money back. The End.

Sigh, you've been here for too long to say stuff like this, Tombi.

Do you have any evidence to support this? At all? Any statistical data to indicate how much money Sony specifically makes? Factor in the continued marketing costs, derive the precise royalty fees for each Blu Ray sold, and then calculate precisely how much of each royalty payment goes to Sony, and not one of the other seventeen members on the board of directors? Are we certain that none of the other 94 members don't get a cut for their generous support? Do we know how much marketing costs will incur to support Blu Ray (not the PS3, but Blu Ray in particular)? I'd guess you have no evidence of any kind, because I've looked, and I certainly can't find any. It may be 200 million per board member, it may be 1 billion. I don't know. But you don't either, so stop using this defense.

And of course, all of this assumes, as you say, that Blu Ray takes off like DVD.

Sorry no data. But do you think 17 companies would spend billions of dollars developing a format, if it wasn't worth it in the end?

I am 99% sure Blu- Ray will take off like DVD. With all the film industry behind Blu-Ray, it doesn't matter whether the general public want it or not. Blu-Ray will get forced on the consumers. In a couple of years Blu-Ray players will hit mass market point. Film companies will start to release their films on Blu-Ray first, then on DVD later. As Blu-Ray player sales rise, film companies will forget about DVD's all together.

As the price of making films goes up, film companies can't keep selling DVD's at £10 at retail. Film companies would rather sell you a Blu-Ray film for £20, rather than a DVD for £10. As I say, film companies will force Blu-Ray upon the consumer, and as Blu-Ray player prices come down, the consumers will just accept this.

I'm not arguing that, and you weren't either, at least originally. The original discussion was about Sony's profitability. You claimed that Blu Ray would recoup 3 billion dollars in losses for Sony; that's stated clearly and concisely in your original post. When I challenged this notion, you changed topics. Let's recap:

Tombi: Sony will make 3 billion dollars in losses back from Blu Ray royalties.
Bodhesatva: Are you sure? What data do you have to support this?
Tombi: Blu Ray will do well in the format war.

Nice sidestep there, Tombi. So we agree that there is no way to know precisely how much Sony stands to gain from Blu Ray patents? And we agree it's likely that whatever royalties do exist will be shared amongst the Blu Ray Disc Association's Founding Members?

I'd assume those royatlies are distributed inequally, with those carrying the largest marginal risk (such as Phillips and Sony) garnering the largest marginal benefit.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

If anyone wants to believe Crazzy's investment advice, please contact me IMMEDIATELY :))))

I have plenty of stuff I can sell you at reasonable prices, trust me :))))

Right now I have some terrific specials including bridges and magic beans :))))

tombi123 said: 

See, I disagree with this. It's based on an overly materialistic (almost quasi-Marxist) view of how markets work. I don't believe that people are blind, gullible fools who can be easily controlled by giant corporations (at least, not all of the time!) I think that people largely act as rational consumers in free markets, spending their money on things that they genuinely want. That's not to say they spend money on things that they NEED, per se, but that they spend it on things they truly do want. And people aren't as foolish as many would like to believe.

For example, DVDs didn't take off because movie companies successfully gulled people into buying them. They succeeded because the technology was vastly superior to the old formats, and offered advantages that anyone could see. ipods/MP3s succeeded for the same reason, even though the actual audio quality was lower than with CDs. Perhaps Blu Ray will prove to be just as successful; it's impossible to say at the moment. If Blu Ray suceeds, it will be due to a genuine desire on the part of consumers to upgrade to better picture and sound quality. It will not come about simply because the film companies forced it on the market. History is littered with many different products that corporations tried to force onto the public, and were rejected by consumers because they didn't meet their wants.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

If anyone wants to believe Crazzy's investment advice, please contact me IMMEDIATELY :))))

I have plenty of stuff I can sell you at reasonable prices, trust me :))))

Right now I have some terrific specials including bridges and magic beans :))))

what do they grow!!!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

SpartanFX said:
this is just good news for Consumers. they can get PS3 much lower than it's actual cost.but not very good news for Sony.

This pretty much confirms no price drop anytime soon.(maybe a small one Christmas or when KZ2 comes out)

Thats not good news for PS3 consumers.  All Sony and Microsoft platforms have been sold at an intial loss, thats nothing new.  What the losses mean for PS3 consumers is that Sony cannot buy new exclusives of note (as evidenced by SO4 and ES going to the Xbox 360, and DMC4, GTAIV and RE5 going multiplatform).  It also means that Sony cannot push the PS3 as hard as they had been, meaning less will be sold, meaning developers will have less reason to work on the platform.

Thats a vicious cycle, that in no way helps PS3 consumers.

Unless by "consumers" you meant people who do/will own a Wii or Xbox 360.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

tombi123 said:

Who would think that a company would be stupid enough to overinvest in something that wouldn't work out in the end?

*checks thread title*

Oh wait...............

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

As pointed out by bumidan in another thread, the $3B in losses are at the Game Division level, of which PS3 is part of. $2B in FY2007, and $1B in FY2008, ending in Mar 08. So as he accurately pointed out, PS3 lost all of PS2 and PSP hardware and software profits in FY2007 and in FY2008, PLUS $3B more.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q4_sony.pdf

Now with holiday sales of the past year, Sony says that was enough to make the last half profitable. In other words, the PS3 losses did not completely wipe out the holiday profits of the PS2 and PSP. If they can do as well in reducing PS3 losses this year as they did last year, then the PS3 losses will match up with the PS2 and PSP profits, allowing the Gaming division to break even for the entire year.

While the manufacturing cost of $350 being floated about is less than the retail sales price, there are a lot of non-manufacturing costs as well. Overhead cost, advertizing, freight charges, finance costs (where the retailer buys the PS3 from Sony but doesn't have to pay the invoice for 45 days or so).

For those wanting to know the liability side of Sony, $40B in current (

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Sullla said:
tombi123 said: 

See, I disagree with this. It's based on an overly materialistic (almost quasi-Marxist) view of how markets work. I don't believe that people are blind, gullible fools who can be easily controlled by giant corporations (at least, not all of the time!) I think that people largely act as rational consumers in free markets, spending their money on things that they genuinely want. That's not to say they spend money on things that they NEED, per se, but that they spend it on things they truly do want. And people aren't as foolish as many would like to believe.

For example, DVDs didn't take off because movie companies successfully gulled people into buying them. They succeeded because the technology was vastly superior to the old formats, and offered advantages that anyone could see. ipods/MP3s succeeded for the same reason, even though the actual audio quality was lower than with CDs. Perhaps Blu Ray will prove to be just as successful; it's impossible to say at the moment. If Blu Ray suceeds, it will be due to a genuine desire on the part of consumers to upgrade to better picture and sound quality. It will not come about simply because the film companies forced it on the market. History is littered with many different products that corporations tried to force onto the public, and were rejected by consumers because they didn't meet their wants.

Agreed.

I would argue that quality has little to do with the reasons that cassettes beat records, CDs beat cassettes, MP3s beat CDs, and DVDs beat VHS.  In fact, MP3 players generally have lower quality sound than CDs.

What all of these winning formats have in common is convienence.  Portability and ease of use have increased with each format change.  Generally there is an increase in quality, but that is not the driving factor.

I don't believe that BluRay offers enough advantages over DVDs.  Sure you can fit a few more episodes or bonus features onto the disc, but the step up to the new TV and new disc player is pretty steep for a lot of people.

Earlier someone mentioned the switch to digital broadcasts in the US as a reason people will switch to HDTVs.  If your TV is hooked up to cable or satelite, the change will not affect your TV.  Only if you get your TV from bunny-ears (an antenae) will the change affect you.  Somehow, I don't think that people still getting their TV this way are in the market for a HDTV.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)