By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY lost 3.31 Billion on initial PS3 costs; May never see that money back.

roadkillers said:
I know this is off topic but why doesnt sony exclusivly release there big titles on Blu-ray to help them sell? It help them with this money problem

For the same reasons nobody else does it with their blockbusters: The encoding quality is improving as time goes on, and the userbase is still small. So if you throw your big titles on the market now, and if you do it with good quality, then you probably will make back your investment and a little more. But the "source is out" and the (serious) pirates will follow suit and pirated copies will ruin your business with that blockbuster forever.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
1) Dollar is WEAK.
2) Sony did MUCH more PROFIT on PSone and PS2.
3) Sony WON Blu-ray WAR.
4) Sony is a BIG company, and has MORE CAPITAL, then M$. It`s just all MONEY are INVESTED in BUISSNESS, BUT, if they wanted, they could sell and have MORE money then M$ has. =)
5) Sony will regain money with Software sales, new PSN network + again make STRONGER and RECOGNIZABLE PLAYSTATION BRAND. =) PS3 FTW!

LOL.

You fail at teh maths.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

jenny said:
Maybe adding blue ray wasnt such a good idea

I think that was one of the smart decitions they made.....

talkingparrot said:
No one should expect any price cut till next year. The article written above for uneducated people in the field of stocks (myself included) can easily be led to believe something that is far from the truth.

Aside from all the massive Xbox 360 fanboys in here- someone mentioned a very important fact-

EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE SOMETHING:

The report is talking about FISCAL losses. Key word- FISCAL. April 06-March 07, and FY08 is April 07-March 08.

This doesn't mean that PS3 is still being sold at a loss. All this reinforces is, at one time the PS3 was losing a ton of money and that they went from losing 2 Billion on production to 1 Billion (and that could be an average cost too, the PS3 didn't reach the break even mark till January, who knows where its at now, but I am guessing its at 350 to produce a console).

The gaming division will start seeing a profit in 2009. Both Microsoft and Sony are probably both regretting putting in a price cut, and no one can blame them. Both companies have copious amounts of money to recoup.

I think what you're suggesting is that because the production costs were in previous years, they aren't relivent because the console is generating a small profit now? That's bullshit. 

Companies evaluate projects (ps3) on their initial costs (~3 bill loss) and their expected cash flows over the life of the project (hard to say if PS3 has generated any cash flow cause sony doesn't report it seperately). It might have been 3 fiscal years ago, but it's not like they are ignoring that amount and just looking forward to profits now.

Zucas said:
Ouch. Pulling an Xbox 1 it seems.

XBox 1 ended so bad because it lost for 2 years on a total life cycle of 3 1/2 years, losing money for two years, even less probably, on a total life cycle of at least 7 years, should put PS3 on a safer position, and games are already selling well, despite the still small HW base, so royalties are already helping now, they should even more in the future.

And let's not forget that MS accounts for the most losses it legally can in a special separate report item to make operative divisions different from its traditional cash cows look better (you can read it directly on their site somewhere, their reports are public), so the current XB360's situation, despite far from not being satisfying, is less rosy than it looks, and this is good for Sony, as now it can't even dream of competing with Nintendo, so it should concentrate on catching MS ASAP.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Dont worry, Sony will just suck the life out of some more musicians' music to recoup ;)

In seriousness tho, didn't Sony sell off their Cell manufacturing plant to Toshiba and gain a ton of money on the deal? I imagined that that gain would offset losses from PS3 production.

Who cares. True gamers only care about games. Op Grow up be a Gamer not a stirrer.

Only people who care about losses on consoles is Sales executives of a company.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Who cares. True gamers only care about games. Op Grow up be a Gamer not a stirrer.

Only people who care about losses on consoles is Sales executives of a company.

Yes YES!! YOU UNDERSTAND! Really tho, shareholders care. And shareholders' money is what makes the console that true gamers love.

bardicverse said:
Dont worry, Sony will just suck the life out of some more musicians' music to recoup ;)

In seriousness tho, didn't Sony sell off their Cell manufacturing plant to Toshiba and gain a ton of money on the deal? I imagined that that gain would offset losses from PS3 production.

LOL! But I'd say, instead, that they'll suck the life out of teenagers' parents selling even more crappy music to their spoiled sons! 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
bardicverse said:

LOL! But I'd say, instead, that they'll suck the life out of teenagers' parents selling even more crappy music to their spoiled sons!

Ah, you might just be right about that. PS3 investment losses?  50 Cent got it covered!