By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the Hell Paper Mario

SPM is definitely more of a platformer. But the problem is it's not an 'excellent' platformer, and it's also far too wordy to just pick up and play.

I'm looking forward to Wario Land--rennaisance of 2D platforming on consoles FTW!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I would agree they are all good but they really did have a fine line between platforming and rpg. Personally I really liked TYD and thought SPM would kinda be sucky and lose what made the series great in the first place, but it still panned out fine. IMHO, ie.

I thought SPM was the best in the series. For me, the continuum goes:

SPM > PM >>>> PM2:TTYD.

SPM nailed the "platformer with RPG elements" shindig, and the "flipping" mechanic was excellent, if a bit overused. If anything, the game's biggest flaw is that it kept the wrong RPG elements from the first two PM games - they should have done away completely with inventory items (which were clunky and unnecessary to use in the real-time) and cut down a lot on dialog, while maintaining character customization in the form of badges or something else.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
I thought SPM was the best in the series. For me, the continuum goes:

SPM < PM <<<< PM2:TTYD.

SPM nailed the "platformer with RPG elements" shindig, and the "flipping" mechanic was excellent, if a bit overused. If anything, the game's biggest flaw is that it kept the wrong RPG elements from the first two PM games - they should have done away completely with inventory items (which were clunky and unnecessary to use in the real-time) and cut down a lot on dialog, while maintaining character customization in the form of badges or something else.

Fixed... Seriously, Paper Mario the Thousand Year door was my favorite gamecube game for 2 years!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

haha totally agree wih you
i stopped playing cuz there was so many
words--only really good rpg's can get away
with stuff like that

any word on a new one?
E3??

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Around the Network

Your not alone

I really enjoyed SPM. Although they did talk quite a bit.

^ yeah, that's one of the reasons I gave up on it

I thought the flipping concept was awesome and the humor was good, but the 2nd half of the game was pretty bad level design. I thought the game could have been a lot shorter.

Am I the only one here who got really bored of TTYD and couldn't finish it?

PM > SPM > PM2:TTYD