By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I hate online activation!!!!

I have just got a new computer so had to reinstall all my games. This was mostly problematic with Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts. Firstly, as it is Vista, it had to unistall the original game first. Then I had to install about 5 patches, and then after all that I cannot remember my password, so have to re-associate the product key to a new user name, but once I had done that, it told me the user name was already in use, and I had to do it like 3 times to finally get it to work.... It is so unnecessary.

Maybe the issue is caused by Vista, maybe it is because I downloaded it (from direct to drive) but it is pointless making it so complicated to get someone to play the game. I beleive it is because I dont have the disc that i always have to be online when playing the game. Why can't a product code be enough! They just make it far too overcomplicated to get it working. I still need to get the original working with it

Around the Network

Online activation is nothing but a huge pain in the arse, and, in reality, absolutely pointless.

Within weeks of a game's release, there will be some form of bypass to get around the online activation, meaning that people who pirate it don't go through the rigmarole, and people who pay for it get penalised, absolutely ridiculous.

What's worse is FACT. I mean, what's the point in putting so much copyright information at the start of a DVD? The only people that would ever have to sit through it are also the same people that would ever pay for it.

Munkeh111 said:

I have just got a new computer so had to reinstall all my games. This was mostly problematic with Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts. Firstly, as it is Vista, it had to unistall the original game first. Then I had to install about 5 patches, and then after all that I cannot remember my password, so have to re-associate the product key to a new user name, but once I had done that, it told me the user name was already in use, and I had to do it like 3 times to finally get it to work.... It is so unnecessary.

I'm not sure why you're complaining. The auto-patching is a god's gift to PC gamers by making things standard and not worry about seaching for patches.

Then you don't remember your password.... and you chose 3 names that were already in use... I don't see the problem, it also sounds more like it's your own fault.

Munkeh111 said:

Maybe the issue is caused by Vista, maybe it is because I downloaded it (from direct to drive) but it is pointless making it so complicated to get someone to play the game. I beleive it is because I dont have the disc that i always have to be online when playing the game. Why can't a product code be enough! They just make it far too overcomplicated to get it working. I still need to get the original working with it

That is because Direct2Drive is a piece of shit, I don't even know why you buy the game from there. Steam and Impulse do not require you to be online to play the games, and they are far superior than D2D.

You need the original? That is not right, Opposing Fronts should be fully workable without the original CoH. That's most likely either your own fault or D2D's, because Steam lets you play Opposing Fronts stand-alone (I assume).

SamuelRSmith said:
Online activation is nothing but a huge pain in the arse, and, in reality, absolutely pointless.

True, in fact, if you start installing the BioSHOCK PC game, you can just unplug your Internet, copy and paste all the files during the online activation part, and put them back. Really pathetic. (Note: I read that on another forum when some guy needed help because he couldn't get his Gaming PC to go online. I borrowed my friend's copy, tested it out and it really does work... deleted the game anyway because My PC sucks too bad to play it, and I'm just going to get the 360 version anyway...)

@ shio, I have got the original to work with it now, but it is overcomplicated
My issue is that it cannot just do it in one patch, but 4... how hard would it be to combine them. Also, my issue is that there is no standard password recovery service, like sending it to email. Also the issue is with Relic, because it is a relic id that you have to make to play, I don't think it is linked to D2D.

@ machina, I did not expect the computer, but I have saved up for a while for the 360

Around the Network

Don't you remember when half life 2 came out? Everybody bought the game and then waited until you could get connected to install the game... and of course the servers were unreachable.. and internet wasn't as fast in 2004 as now.. so downloading took a while.. ah those were the days... Still worth the wait..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Munkeh111 said:

@ machina, I did not expect the computer, but I have saved up for a while for the 360

Huh? Was it a gift?

And what specs does your new PC have?

Slimebeast said:
Munkeh111 said:

Huh? Was it a gift?

And what specs does your new PC have?

Birthday present

2.1ghz, 2gb ram, decent graphics card. It is a laptop, so it is no powerhouse, but it is much better than my old one

Yep, pirated copies are better than retail due to lack of DRM. Now, they go and blame piracy while cripple the retail version more and more even though they are always cracked.

Did I mention I hate having to have my disc spinning while playing? WTH can't I just dump the whole disc onto the computer and put the original away in a safe place?

Ah, that just reminded me. I need to find a crack for SimCity Societies since I don't carry around my laptop base... Damn you EA, I am not buying the xpac because of your silly DRM.

/rant

All this stuff you have to go through to just install the game is absolutely pointless. If you don't have to go through this stuff on consoles, why should you have to do it on the PC?

it makes no sense at all.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison