By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The sales of the 360 are going up in Japan.

Some high-profile games are releasing between July 31st and September 11th: Soul Calibur 4, Tales of Vesperia, Clannad, Too Human and Infinite Undiscovery. Hardware sales will definitely see a significant boost around this period.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

The 360 would never sell more than 4000 consoles in a week in Japan unless its Xmas sales where 10000 360's a week is possible.

Aktuelle Hardware-Verkaufszahlen aus Japan

04.07.08 - Das Marktforschungsunternehmen Media Create hat neue Hardware-Verkaufszahlen für den japanischen Markt veröffentlicht. Die Daten beziehen sich auf den Zeitraum vom 23.06.08 - 29.06.08.

Konsole Verkaufte Einheiten
(St.)
Vorwoche 2008 Total
(ab 31.12.07)
PSP 58.861 59.351 2.058.028
Nintendo DS Lite 48.884 36.599 1.534.250
Wii 48.480 41.037 1.624.866
PlayStation3 17.973 20.336 516.955
PlayStation2 7.673 6.346 251.750
Xbox 360 5.104 2.555 67.740

Just got it in German, but these are the numbers for the last week. MS sold 5104 units this week. The next number is the previous week, the last one ltd 2008. Thes are Media Create numbers. vgchartz will have more or less the same.

*edit* just noticed these numbers were posted earlier. Sorry for that

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I live in Japan and Know this market pretty well. To be honest, the PS3 has been selling poorly here, but this has been because of the lack of Nippon titles that we have. plenty of gaijin games but, which they don't really get into. The release of MGS4 is the start of a chain though and the PS3 should pick up progressivly.

The Number one game in the charts that the Japanese are waiting for is FF13. The 360 rpg's arn't even close. When this gets released, the 360 will be in big trouble! Also, most of these 360 rpg's are also comming to the PS3 and are also in the top 40 most wanted for the PS3 at the moment, except IU.

The problam is that the 360's strengths are extreamly weak here. Also, most Nipponjin do not own 2 current consoles like u think they would. All my friends only support one as they have no time/money to play all, so Sony will win more votes compared to the 360, because they will eventually have much more software compared to the 360 and they are Japanese.

The 360 is at it's peak everwhere.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

I had predicted at the start of 2007 that the 360 would hit 1,000,000 by the end of the year... by July 07 I had given up on my prediction and basically the 360 in japan. My belief was that the 360 would hit a tipping point in japan where it would slowly become accepted as a gaming console in the market and started selling decently.

Maybe that 5k is the start of that tipping point? I won't be holding my breath, this is most likely a small spike cause of gundam, but I'm always hoping those 5000 people tell their friends and let them play with the 360 controller...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

The 360 's fate in japan is set in stone - sub 5k sales for the rest of the gen and 10k-20k for the week a blockbuster exclusive releases.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
HanzoTheRazor said:
I live in Japan and Know this market pretty well. To be honest, the PS3 has been selling poorly here, but this has been because of the lack of Nippon titles that we have. plenty of gaijin games but, which they don't really get into. The release of MGS4 is the start of a chain though and the PS3 should pick up progressivly.

The Number one game in the charts that the Japanese are waiting for is FF13. The 360 rpg's arn't even close. When this gets released, the 360 will be in big trouble! Also, most of these 360 rpg's are also comming to the PS3 and are also in the top 40 most wanted for the PS3 at the moment, except IU.

The problam is that the 360's strengths are extreamly weak here. Also, most Nipponjin do not own 2 current consoles like u think they would. All my friends only support one as they have no time/money to play all, so Sony will win more votes compared to the 360, because they will eventually have much more software compared to the 360 and they are Japanese.

The 360 is at it's peak everwhere.

I have to agree for the parts you were talking about Japan. Ps3 will get a lot of sales there, when the familiar ps franchises get released. 360 will be in trouble in Japan? Is it not already? :D

But 360 is nowhere near it's peak everywhere. Pricedrop in US coming, which will lead to a lot of more sales. :)

@ why those companies snubbed the ps3 for the 360 to release their games is still beyond me. either ms paid them a heck of a lot of money, or they have no sense at all, because it'spretty obvious as to which console will bring them more money, even if it does cost more to develop for the ps3.

well i think it's more down to the fact that the 360 at the moment has more hardware out there then ps3. so according to their logic, their product will sell better on the 360...or we can go with the other theory and maybe one that holds more truth; MS paid good money to have these games as Exclusives.

Whether these games will help 360 sales in Japan is a totally different story. You have to look at what the ps3 will be countering these games with around this time. If the Japan user base had an option of those 2 games and the new FF, i think they will post pone and not bother about SO4 and ToV.

Looks like bought out exclusives is the only thing that will save the 360 :s

still doing bad.

well you can say the price drop will help, but then there will be a ps3 price drop and then there will be a slimline ps3. these things will just counter each other and the only thing stopping the 360 sinking at the moment is price drops and buying exclusive content. 

If you look at some of the most anticipated games to be released in the future, the majority of them are Sony games that ps2 owners who currently own a 360 are waiting for, or ps2 owners who still havent upgraded to a ps3. games like FF, Killzone, Tekken, GT and the long line selling singstars and buzz games that the 360 has zero off.

It's also important to look at what the competitors are doing whilst these 360 sales have gone up. are they dropping their number of sales? is it just as big of a deal if the 360 sells 10k in a week, where the ps3 and wii sell 50k in that week? 

Not to be a naysayer or anything here... but

OP, didn't you also predicted that Xbox will NOT go under 4K/week this entire year? I remember it was under your sig. You and I even made a ban bet about it (when ban bet was allowed)... remember that?

;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)