By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 3rd Parties Can’t (And Probably Won’t) Succeed on the Wii

BengaBenga said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
BengaBenga said:

Let's say Zack & Wiki is the ultimate example of failing 3rd party sales.
It sold 380.000 units according to VGC.
Here are some PS3 games that sold less than Z&W. According to your analysis the Wii might be a failure, but then you must aldo consider the PS3 a failure for 3rd parties.

But people aren't saying that Zack and Wiki is the ultimate example. People are saying that even with double the userbase, Wii has still sold less 3rd party software than Ps3 in 2008.

It isn't like 3rd parties are taking a bigger share against Nintendo, as a matter of fact, this year it is lower than it was this time last year. Their sales are increasing, but not majorly.

The Wii isn't seeing what the DS saw. 3rd parties aren't taking a bigger and bigger share of the sales.

Sure, those games you listed sold less than Zack & Wiki, but 35 games also sold more. Many of the games you listed are also multiplats, so selling that much on Ps3 isn't horrid, as X360 stands for as much or more sales, meaning that it sold around or more than 100% more.

PS: Don't criticize the OP for making this thread. He looks at it in a different way than earlier posted. If you have new facts or beliefs that are important, making a new thread should be accepted.

Either way, even if it was stupid to make it, he has heard it now, no need to rub it in.

Duh, there was a game called GTAIV remember?

BTW there are just as many 3rd party million sellers on Wii as on PS3. Sure there's a different in userbase, but Wii comes with a free game and Nintendo has so far made the best games for the system. And 3rd party publishers don't care about attach rates, they care about sales.

Your statement that Wii isn't seeing DS support is very premature. 3rd party announcement are increasing in number as in quality. Fatal Frame, Tenchu, Fragile, Oboro Muramasa etc etc.

I'm not saying that this thread is stupid or even that the opinion is stupid. The reason I posted the PS3 list is to show that it wouldn't hurt to tell the whole story, instead of always cherry picking the Wii's 3rd party software sales.

First, sorry, I wrote a bit bad. The PS has nothing to do with you.

Secondly, even though GTA IV was launched, Ps3 is likely to always have at least 1 huge 3rd party seller each half year. Maybe not as big as GTA, but still.

January through May 2008, Wii sold 17.6M 3rd party software, Ps3 sold 18.5M software. That's higher sales wise, not only AR wise. My point including the userbase difference was to mark the problem, but really, there was no need for me to add it.

You may say that GTA IV launched, but M&S, which isn't really a 3rd party game (still counted though) has sold more than the Ps3 version (by far through May only).

The fact that you are seeing higher quality titles won't neccessarily mean more sales, and even the quality of those titles, are to be frank, not that high.

You can list that Ps3 has 70 titles that has sold less than 400K. That's cherry picking as hell. Many of those titles are low quality titles, that are also multiplat.

If you want an ultimate proof of a hardcore failure on Wii, try this: http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7569

There are over 200 games on Wii that sold less than 400K. There are 50 that sold more. On Ps3 the situation is drastically better, therefore, listing what you did just seems odd to me.

For the fact, 40 have sold more and 120 less on Ps3, not as much better as I thought, but still makes your list a bit odd.

Anyway, sorry for a bit bad writing making it appear I was criticicing you.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I'll post why his views are flaw:

1) Lack of established big name/IP <3 2 words: Resident Evil. RE4 even for a port was a million seller on the Wii, and again Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles a spin off of the popular franchise also a million seller. Rayman even its a mini game sell a million because of its just name recognition. Sonic the Hedgehog again another million seller because of the name recognition. Yeah, he mentioned these games but its like the million seller are just RE, Sonic and Guitar Hero even on the stats just check vgchartz almost half of million sellers came from third parties.

2) Quality games on the Wii yeah, the first year of the Wii was a lackluster. HEELLOOO anyone remember the first year of the 360? It have lackluster 3rd party support overall and theres no games. Its worse than Wii's first year, the reason why 360 is on top was because of Gears of War, a killer app. With these coming announcements so far and E3 didnt even started we will see more and more killer app games from third party coming out for the Wii. Just wait till E3. And yeah, EA is working on the controls and graphics of Madden, Skate it with balance board support, Tiger Woods, etc. right now so we cannot complain in terms of controls and graphics on the Wii.

3) Advertising YEAH, EA was a big example of advertising that must be done in video game companies especially for the Wii games, so why included on his essay? Mysims wasnt became a million seller because of its advertising anyone seen the commercial of Mysims? Its the best commercial on a game I've ever seen. But boom blox didnt seel well :'(. EA CEO say so otherwise, he said it did met their expectations and its still selling. For one thing, Boom Blox was a new title, its not established yet what would you expect? 250,000 in a month alone? LOL

4) Third parties are step one behind PES 2008, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil: UC, MOH: H2, The Godfather Blackhand Edition, Boom Blox, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Boogie, Smarty Pants, Sonic and the Secret Rings, etc... captures Ninty's market before Ninty did. Anyone knows that Resident Evil 4 done the inituative control before Metroid Prime 3 did right? And what about PES 2008? Its selling well on others and it have the best control yet when sports games are concerned...

In conclusion, wait till E3

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

And yeah, just to finish this once and for all, these are the million sellers for the Wii:

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&sort=Total

But most of those games are first parties :( O RLY? I've count all the million sellers from first party and third parties and surprise, asides from Wii Play and Wii Sports theyre practically the same ratio, first party just beaten third parties in only one game.

Now compare that to PS3 1 million sellers:

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PS3&publisher=&sort=Total

WHAT?!! Only 15? And everyone here says that games dont sell on the Wii LOL...

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Yushire, come on.

1) He said that there weren't enough 3rd party big IPs. Those you listed are pretty much the only ones.

2) Well, Gears is close to more worth than the entire 3rd party sales to date. The quality titles that are comming aren't that good. I want some of them, but Nintendo is still ahead. Maybe no longer a step and a half, but still a step.

3) I have seen more MySims commercials than SMG, MKWii and Brawl combined, so yes, MySims has had a lot of advertising. 250K for Boom Blox is nice for the kind of game it is. Should make a million in the long run.

4) Third parties are ways behind. Only a few of the games you listed stand a shot against the best 1st party titles. PES 08 has great controls and is innovative, but is still outsold by the Ps3 version, they're not doing everything right.

Second post:

So wait, you're happy that 3rd parties, with over 200 games, sold a little less than Nintendo's games? Well, Jan through May, 1st parties sold more than 3rd parties.

The total 3rd party sales on Ps3 was bigger than the total 3rd party sales on Wii.

Also, you expected Ps3, with less than half the installbase, to have half the million sellers? That itself would be amazing. And guess what? It has 3/5 of the Wiis million sellers! With half the installbase!

Guess what? That doesn't mean shit.

Also, look at the million seller list, how many games are above 2M? 14 games. How many are by 3rd parties? 2 games - two games.

Stop using anedoctal data (to prove you wrong I used some myself though)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

@oyvoyvoyv------> Wait till E3, if E3 wasnt what we expect then I'll sell my Wii and buy a PS3 instead. The first year on the Wii was just testing ground for third parties, and it proves with million seller third party games so far, third parties just caught off guard and didnt expect the Wii to sell. Most of their games so far was already develop for the HD consoles before the consoles were released, so theyre catching up so just wait till E3...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Around the Network

Just wait and wait.. story for a wii owner who dislikes nintendo-franchises. Do I have to wait long after E3 or do I get good games overnight?

Kurakasa said:
Just wait and wait.. story for a wii owner who dislikes nintendo-franchises. Do I have to wait long after E3 or do I get good games overnight?
Because E3 was only 23 days away, yeah, you think its long but if a week had passed then its only 15 days before E3. And we know how fast a day have passed.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

I don't get threads like this.

People will swear up and down that Third-Party support will come to the Wii and sell, etc. But then continue to make threads like this.

It's like asking to get attacked. I don't care if the OP is well written and makes sense, but the problem is half of the Wii community is saying "It's coming", and half is like "no it's not". Wii owners (myself excluded) are the only people keeping this argument going, as some sort of justification for purchasing the system. If they just moved on, and didn't keep dredging this subject up, everyone else would also.

Soriku said:
sc94597 said:
Some people need to actually read the op before attacking him. He did not in anyway say that 3rd party games on the wii will not sell. He is just listing reasons why they won't sell, and what 3rd parties must do to make them sell. So read the Op before you start criticizing a post.

This. Dear God people. Read the OP. I don't care if it's long, just read it so you don't look foolish making your posts.

I read the op, and I saw reasons why 3rd parties could never suceed at the level nintendo does, unless they do those things. It doesn't have anything in common with the other threads that just blantantly state 3rd parties aren't supporting the wii. So please explain to me how I'm wrong.

To start off, I'm really glad at the response to this thread. Most of my threads die after a few posts, but this one has really taken off.

@sc94597: Thank you. I was starting to think most people just looked at the title and came in screaming. It's meant to show why 3rd parties haven't been as successful as Nintendo, and how they can achieve that level of success. Of course, anything about a million is successful enough, so many 3rd parties can (and have) reached that point, but people will continue complaining that Nintendo games are the top sellers.

@BengaBenga: I wasn't really saying the Wii 3rd party games were failing, or any of that. If Capcom would have advertised Z&W a bit more, it could have pushed 500k by now. That's where I was aiming. The fact that 3rd party games are not raising to the same level as Nintendo games (even when those said 3rd party games meet or exceed Nintendo's quality) is because of one or more of the reasons that I stated. Lack of advertising kept Z&W from being a bigger seller. It may not have passes a million either way, but advertising couldn't have hurt. No More Heroes probably could have really benefited from advertising.

@yushire: It was late (midnight or so), and I have dial up, and my sister wanted it, so I had to leave. Sorry.

@yushire big post with the points:
1st Point - That's exactly what I'm saying. "No big name games he says? What about RE games?" And look how much the RE games have sold. Same with GH, another big name game. Sonic and the Secret Rings sold really well too. Big name game. Maybe if more big name games were put on the Wii, they'd be able to compete with Nintendo's games?
2nd Point - The quality is getting better.
3rd Point - Besides EA, which usually does advertise, few games have been advertised. And the one game that EA has advertised, namely MySims (though I think MOH:H2 was advertised a bit), has been a big success.
4th Point - You do have a point there. But most of those games have been relatively successful. And that's exactly what I was trying to say. I wasn't saying that 3rd parties can't be successful. I was saying that they probably won't because they're always a step behind when it comes to the new "fad of games that sell on the Wii." Your list shows that some 3rd parties are getting it right, and can do it before Nintendo does.

But I'm glad some of you decided to read through the "essay" as yushire puts it. I really wasn't saying that 3rd parties can't do well on the Wii. I was merely pointing out that until 3rd parties give Wii games the same ingredients for success, they'll never get the same kind of success that Nintendo has been. For the record, the ingredients that I am talking about are: a high quality game (many 3rd parties fail here anyway, and bad cookies result), either a established, non-spin off, big name game OR a new IP that has a good amount of hype around it, and a good marketing compaign. Once you take out one of these, sales will drop. Boom Blox, a high quality new IP with a decent amount of hype, doesn't manage great sales because it wasn't advertised (properly at least, marketing to 8-12 years olds isn't advertising).

Also, as an added flavor, making your game appeal to many demographics helps. Nintendo's games cater to many different people, and as thus are able to tap into the whole Wii userbase, and as such the games can sell better. But not every game can cater to everyone (or even the majority of users), so Nintendo level success isn't always possible anyway. But high success is possible. You just need to know how to make the cookies. And, surprise, it isn't much different than how you make cookies on the PS3 and X360.