By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HD-DVD Claims 60% of Dedicated Players...

...Also a higher movie attach rate than Blu-ray.

by Gerry Block June 11, 2007

- In what would appear to be a weekly tradition now, the HD-DVD Promotions Group is announcing yet more progress for the format in its struggle with Blu-ray. According to the HD-DVD camp, the format now accounts for 60% of all next-gen DVD set-top players sold to this point in time. The figure does not count the PlayStation 3. The group also announced that HD-DVD is achieving a 4 to 1 movie attach rate over Blu-ray, and set a new high for movie sales in May, highlighted by more than 75,000 units sold in the last week of the month. Last month was apparently a good one for both formats, with actual consumer spending on HD-DVD and Blu-ray combining to $5.2-million, 31% more than the previous combined record.

source: IGN.com

Guess what? It all depens on PS3 again... the success or failure of Sony´s baby will decide the probably last format war.

Any thoughts? This topic is really interesting for gamers, I think. What will the PS3 end up if Blu - Ray loses/wins?

Around the Network

"Any thoughts? This topic is really interesting for gamers, I think. What will the PS3 end up if Blu - Ray loses/wins?"

The only difference for PS3 if blu-ray wins or loses is speed of price drop. If Blu-Ray fails, PS3 will still play games like always, but bringing the price down will be harder due to less demand. The GC and PSP both survived with media only used by them (along with every cart based system), so why not the same with PS3.

Also, the format war probably won't be decided for years unless PS3 were to be dropped now, and by then we might have to put up with both formats.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

OK, the stand-alone player thing doesn't say much... there's no telling how many people use their PS3's for movies, BUT...

If that attach rate is accurate, especially if a large amount of people *are* using their PS3's for movies, Sony has a bit of a problem on their hands. The numbers come from "HD-DVD Promotions Group," though, so I wouldn't trust them hands-down so quickly. Anywhere else giving numbers?

I'm on the HD DVD camp but I think the HDDVD promotion group actually counts the PS3 when calculating the attach rate... that's why it's so low.

So far everything I've heard about the next gen war is that the Blu Ray movies are outselling HD DVD movies, so I really don't see how the attach rate can be lower unless someone is counting those 3m PS3 blu ray players.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I have heard the same stats touting the Blu Ray too. I really don't think at this early stage in the HD war that they know anything about who is winning. The reason for this is that people really don't NEED either format. When Video casettes came out there was nothing else available. When DVDs came out the difference between Video tapes and DVDs was so dramatic that it warrented that people make the change. HD DVDs and bluray are just an expensive toy. The extra resolution on most peoples TVs is not realized yet due to the fact that most people still have tube TVs. This is just a personal thought but I have seen HD movies and the like and I can't say that it adds that much more to the experience. A decent TV these days looks really good as it is. The actual size of the TV and the sound system is what really does it for me. Wait another year or two and then you will probably be able to tell.

Around the Network

Wow ,this is really bad news for HD-DVD .

I thought the standalone players of HD-DVD were drastically outselling the standalone BR players .But for what they say its only 60-40% in that front .And that is without having in count the PS3 of course .....

As for attach rate I dont know how they are doing the sum .We know BR has already sold more discs ,so if they are only counting the standalone players its mathematically impossible to have a greater attach rate .More HD-DVD standalone players (60% versus 40% ) but lower disc sales .So the only way they arent lying is that they are counting the PS3 in here .

Very clever ,they dont count the PS3 as a reader to say they have sold more readers and then they count the PS3 as a reader to justify the higher attach rate .

All PR of course ,fact is that there are far more BR readers and that the BR discs are selling better worlwide .Now that prices are going down (Sony new BR reader is prices 499 ,just half what was the price for the first standalone player ) maybe we will see these formats gain mass public .In any case things dont look too good for HD-DVD ,the best it can do is stick around for some time ....

Diomedes1976 said:
All PR of course ,fact is that there are far more BR readers and that the BR discs are selling better worlwide .Now that prices are going down (Sony new BR reader is prices 499 ,just half what was the price for the first standalone player ) maybe we will see these formats gain mass public .In any case things dont look too good for HD-DVD ,the best it can do is stick around for some time ....

the price of the standalone players lowering dramatically can only help HD-DVD. As the price gets lower, HD-DVD will hut all the important price points first, and also the PS3 will have less of an effect overall as more and more people buy into the technology.

of course, they're still up shit creek, but don't discount them yet. This war is far from over (just like the console war you are clamouring to say is far from over) 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Don't forget the X360 HDDVD Drive is not counted too. And in the comparison to PS3-Buyers the HDDVD-Drive Buyers are all buying movies.

I think you can get the lowest HD DVD player for $250 range now, just check some hot deal site.

anyway like bulletstopper say, there is really no difference between HD format and regular DVD on a standard tube screen TV. to really tell the difference you'll need a 50" screen or bigger. I tested this out with my cousin's ps3 with my 50" plasma (only support upto 1080i) and with my cousin's 56" DLP screen(support 1080p). when hooked on STD T.V we cant hardly tell the difference, then hooked on to those two big TV we start see a some difference in picture quality but that increase in little quality doesnt justify the price jump of purchasing a 50" TV and a HD or Blue ray Player.

oh we test it on a 37" LCD TV too, as it come out. we can hardly tell the difference.

This format war is so much different from DVD, people dont have to buy a new TV to experience these new format, but now they need to buy a big TV to experience these new format. and space is another constraint consumer having. 50" plasma or LCD isnt small!!!!!

Pk9394 said:
I think you can get the lowest HD DVD player for $250 range now, just check some hot deal site.

anyway like bulletstopper say, there is really no difference between HD format and regular DVD on a standard tube screen TV. to really tell the difference you'll need a 50" screen or bigger. I tested this out with my cousin's ps3 with my 50" plasma (only support upto 1080i) and with my cousin's 56" DLP screen(support 1080p). when hooked on STD T.V we cant hardly tell the difference, then hooked on to those two big TV we start see a some difference in picture quality but that increase in little quality doesnt justify the price jump of purchasing a 50" TV and a HD or Blue ray Player.

oh we test it on a 37" LCD TV too, as it come out. we can hardly tell the difference.

This format war is so much different from DVD, people dont have to buy a new TV to experience these new format, but now they need to buy a big TV to experience these new format. and space is another constraint consumer having. 50" plasma or LCD isnt small!!!!!

The HD DVD players for $250 don't give a great picture quality. You need to buy a $400 one for it to deliver the goods.

This is just a woeful effort to twist numbers. So they sold 60% of the stand alone players with a year's headstart against blu ray. Yet had we checked that figure a month ago, they probably had 65% of the standalone player market.

So then, after excluding the PS3 numbers from the first statistic, they then seem to go full loop, and include the PS3 numbers for their second statistic, in an effort to make the attach rate look better.