By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and the third-party "doom"

Viper1 said:
To put it lightly, you've taken some extreme circumstances to get some extreme outcomes.

I believe what the OP is refering to is that there have been some Nintendo fan boys saying that gaming companies that don't put all their games on Wii/DS will go out of business, which of course is complete bullshit.  But because we all know how arguing with fan boys goes, especially about stupid things like that, they have just been ignored.

On topic though, there will be more Wii games coming out because you can make a game with a good amount of profit on it and not worry about appealing to a large audience.  If you have to sell 1 million copies on the Wii to get a "great" return then you have to appeal to 1 in 28 gamers.  If you have to sell 1.5 million copies on the 360/PS3 to get similar "great" returns you have to appeal to a much larger audience.  (1 in 13 for 360 and 1 in 9 for PS3)  Of course those numbers are getting more favorable by the day and any good game will easily sell those numbers on any of the systems (unless the publishers take the Zack and Wiki/No More Heroes/Boom Blox route and do zero promoting).

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
NJ5 said:

I wonder how the industry would be like without MS's/Sony's payments to third parties. Would they be able to develop the games they're developing, and survive?

A lot of companies making HD games are subsidized by those companies' pockets, of that I'm sure.

Yeah right.Those out of pocket purchases account for a minority of the 3rd party support,that the 360/PS3 receive.Third party developers choose the PS3/360 as their platforms of choice because it's the ideal platforms for their games and audience.Not knocking the wii,but a majority of the third party support will continue to go to the 360/PS3 regardless of how well the wii does.imo

I agree with this entirely.

The best thing to have is option. The developers give you an option to buy the software, you either do or don't. The more games the better.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It takes time and resources to make a decent title. Many third parties have not had the time they need to complete a solid title, while many others simply haven't been able to free the resources up from other projects. While I doubt we'll ever see developers beating a path to the Wii's door, third party support should improve in the future. Certainly, this year's offerings are a lot better looking than last years.

windbane said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
NJ5 said:

I wonder how the industry would be like without MS's/Sony's payments to third parties. Would they be able to develop the games they're developing, and survive?

A lot of companies making HD games are subsidized by those companies' pockets, of that I'm sure.

Yeah right.Those out of pocket purchases account for a minority of the 3rd party support,that the 360/PS3 receive.Third party developers choose the PS3/360 as their platforms of choice because it's the ideal platforms for their games and audience.Not knocking the wii,but a majority of the third party support will continue to go to the 360/PS3 regardless of how well the wii does.imo

Are either of you willing to take a bet about this?  Say, use of Avatar/sig for a while, or something else?

Terms of bet if either of you are willing:

I say that the # of Third Party Wii games announced at E3 will be greater than PS3/360 combined (PS3/360 multiplats only get counted once, not twice) (any games that come to Wii in addition to one or both of the PS3/360 games can either not be added to any, or be added to both; it is a net null gain).  If either of you two are willing to take that bet, then please tell me what you would like to bet.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
windbane said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
NJ5 said:

Are either of you willing to take a bet about this?  Say, use of Avatar/sig for a while, or something else?

I say that the # of Third Party Wii games announced at E3 will be greater than PS3/360 combined (PS3/360 multiplats only get counted once, not twice) (any games that come to Wii in addition to one or both of the PS3/360 games can either not be added to any, or be added to both; it is a net null gain).  If either of you two are willing to take that bet, then please tell me what you would like to bet.

Impossible to bet, but if you change the wording to "majority of quality/main titles" then I think you have the point of what he's saying. The Wii is getting more shovelware than the PS2 got. Still, I am tempted to take the bet. I don't think I will, but it's interesting you are so confident that the Wii will get more games.

windbane said:
alpha_dk said:
windbane said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
NJ5 said:

Impossible to bet, but if you change the wording to "majority of quality/main titles" then I think you have the point of what he's saying. The Wii is getting more shovelware than the PS2 got. Still, I am tempted to take the bet. I don't think I will, but it's interesting you are so confident that the Wii will get more games.

So you are saying you don't agree with the following phrase:

Not knocking the wii,but a majority of the third party support will continue to go to the 360/PS3 regardless of how well the wii does.imo

That's fine, but I am still willing to let you put your money where your mouth is.  Feel free to PM me if you change your mind, I won't be checking this thread anymore most likely.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I got some arguments started.. :P

Yeah, this topic is about how supposedly developers are going to the Wii to develop to prevent bankruptcy. My point was that this circumstance would lead to desperate and low-investment titles. Something that would not equate to a higher level of game quality. So, I believe the best outcome situation would be for no company to go through severe financial issues.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

windbane said: Impossible to bet, but if you change the wording to "majority of quality/main titles"

Completely subjective and impossible to bet.

The primary recourse of any PS360 fanboy is to declare the Wii's 3rd party exclusives inferior because it's subjective and subjectivity is impossible to gauge, then point to overhyped games on the PS360 which get great reviews despite hideous controls or other glaring issues (GTA4) and declare the platform superior.

If Halo 4 and GTA5 were announced exclusively for the Wii tomorrow, I'm quite certain that most of the PS360 fanboys would come out talking about how "They were overhyped and overrated franchises" and that "It's no big loss".

This happened back during the GC era when the RE1 remake was coming out on the GC: the PS2 fanboys were all going on about how RE wasn't that great of a series anyway.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother: The only objective way to look at it is using metacritic/gamerankings of past and present games, and I think the proof is there already.

Halo is owned by Microsoft.

If GTA went to Wii, it would be as big of a deal as it was when it went to PSP. The problem is there aren't many big-name released from third parties on Wii. I think the change would be Wii owners would stop bashing GTA, actually.

alpha_dk: I don't know if he meant pure quantity of games or quality third party games. I don't think it's likely that the Wii has more 3rd party games announced, and I certainly don't think it will get more major franchises. I don't want it to. I want more games like Boom Blox.