By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game series you used to enjoy, until their was a bad sequel

Rock_on_2008 said:
Brainslug said:
I lost a fuck-ton of faith in the final fantasy series with Final Fantasy XII

FF XII is one of the best FF games. Reviews of FF XII were impressive = AAA game.

Did you even play the game? It was mostly hated by Final Fantasy fans, everybody else liked it. I hated it though, becuse I thought the final fantasy series was fine turn based, and shouldn't have went real time.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Brainslug said:

FF XII is one of the best FF games. Reviews of FF XII were impressive = AAA game.

Did you even play the game? It was mostly hated by Final Fantasy fans, everybody else liked it. I hated it though, becuse I thought the final fantasy series was fine turn based, and shouldn't have went real time.

Yeah, no kidding - Nothing against the game itself, it was gorgeous and I'm sure fans of multiplayer online games probably loved it.

But it was NO headlining Final Fantasy - it should have been given a "Final Fantasy Tactics Spinoff" type of title. Square probably just felt that it would sell more if they called it "Final Fantasy XII", Even though it didn't deserve the title.

Brainslug said:
sc94597 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Brainslug said:

Yeah, no kidding - Nothing against the game itself, it was gorgeous and I'm sure fans of multiplayer online games probably loved it.

But it was NO headlining Final Fantasy - it should have been given a "Final Fantasy Tactics Spinoff" type of title. Square probably just felt that it would sell more if they called it "Final Fantasy XII", Even though it didn't deserve the title.

Yeah... i can agree with that.  I mean when you so rapidly change the gameplay... and it's set in a different world from all the other final Fantasy games... what even makes it a Final Fantasy game anymore?

Moogles?

Kasz216 said:
Brainslug said:
sc94597 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Brainslug said:

Yeah... i can agree with that. I mean when you so rapidly change the gameplay... and it's set in a different world from all the other final Fantasy games... what even makes it a Final Fantasy game anymore?

Moogles?

Exactly, Final Fantasy XI wasn't a Final Fantasy either. I wonder what would have been so wrong with just calling it "Final Fantasy Online" ?

Gaming has evolved online gaming is becoming the norm.
BTW: Single player game play gets boring.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/459841.asp?q=Final%20Fantasy%20XII

FF XII has a 91.1% review average on Gamerankings.com Based on 72 reviews.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

While I know that there are a lot of gamers that feel that way there's the exact same amount who, like me, feel that online gaming is endlessly and mindnumbingly repetitive and does away with cohesive storytelling altogether.

segajon said:
Need for speed, underground was the last one i enjoyed. underground 2 -present nfs games are mediocre at best in my opinion.

I loved every classic NFS from NFS II - Hot Pursuit 2 (NFS Porsche was not great, but decent). With Underground the series has become very different, but still very good. Undergound was fantastic at this time but it's sequel was crap in my eyes. After this disappointment I had not so high hopes for Most Wanted, but I think it's the best game in the whole series. It was the perfect mix from the best parts of the classic (Day racings, Cops and also Sports cars [not only tuning cars]) and Underground (Free roaming, tuning). NFS Carbon was a step backwards. I enjoyed it anyhow. BUT PRO STREET IS F***ING AWFUL !!!!

Crash Bandicoot was absolutely brilliant until Naughty Dog left. At now the series is mediocre at best.

Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Mortal Kombat, and the worst sequel ever, CHRONO CROSS. I HATE that game. It took everything good about Chrono Trigger (second favorite RPG, after Final Fantasy VI), and threw it out the window. Bad characters, moronic combat system, and overall retarded leveling sunk this to the bottom of the ocean.

Rock_on_2008 said:

Again though, I completely agree that FFXII has TONS of merit and is the best game of ITS kind out there.

Square just has forgotten or completely ignores what Final Fantasy means in the hearts of fans who have followed the series since the beginning

Rock_on_2008 said:

FF8 has a metacritic reveiw around there too... I'm not sure a Final Fantasy game has gotten below a 90 that wasn't 11 when it was first released.

Hype really clouds the review process.