By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First Day Sales in Japan

Great by Super Robot!

What kind of game is it?

Believe it or not, this is a relatively good start for Sluggers.

The original opened with 60K first week, and made 250K. With Wii legs, this game could make 500K in Japan. That's not bad.

Remember that baseball is relatively small in Japan, over there, it's selling pretty much on being Mario.

I'd excpect 100K and then 60K for SMStadium, then to sometime around next fiscal year be at 500K.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
darthdevidem01 said:
PSP is slowly taking over SW wise now....after the HW takeover.

We have never seen anything like this before

That's the most generic and ironic statement I've ever read for a slight turnaround for a console in Japan and a decent couple of months for software sales. Lets not blow these footnotes out of proportion because we're bored. False and over-exaggerated excitement make me physically ill.

Grr, I mean, "We have never seen anything like this before" where have you been bro? Didn't the Wii do this to the american market, or the DS do it before the PSP, or the PS2 before that? Haven't seen seen something as good, equal, better, or the exact same as this small fluctuation every week for the last 10 freakin' years?

How in gods name did you come up with "We have never seen anything like this before" tell me please. Were you just typing and that's what came out, or what? It's like something I would type on a term paper, for filler, but it's so bad that I would have to re-write it.

I HAVE to know the motivation behind that sentence. Explain it to me. How did its formation come about? How did it form in your head before you wrote it. Tell me, I'm genuinely asking, please, I have to know. It's more frusterating than "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

You are misunderstanding a lot lately ... he meant during the lifecycle of a system . The DS didnt do nothing similar , it was a hit from the first day , yes , if you compare them to their predecesessor they are full blown successe , I agree  . Same is with the Wii . What is impressive about the PSP is the fact that it was considered by many to be almost dead , and then , in the middle of its lifecycle it just exploded in Japan . The closest comparison for this is the N64 , but even that only managed to get decent sales , afther the Saturn got out of the game , and the DC entered ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Thanks for explaining Hunter, I too had not idea what Darth meant.

This is how much PsP has grown hardware wise. And remember, this is a handheld well into its life.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 16th Jun 2007:

Console PSP
Japan

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Jan 2008 to 14th Jun 2008:

Console PSP
Japan

That's a close to 100% increase YtY HW wise. That's incredible.

No console or handheld has seen an increase like that in Japan that long into its life. That's amazing.

And for software, I'll estimate.

PsP software sold 6th Jan to 16th June 2007: 2622K

PsP software 5th Jan to 14th June 2008: 4461K

So that's an amazing growth too.

Or is it really? If you take into consideration that one title sold more that one title sold more than 2300K, it isn't all that impressive.

Soriku said:
hunter_alien said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
darthdevidem01 said:
PSP is slowly taking over SW wise now....after the HW takeover.

We have never seen anything like this before

That's the most generic and ironic statement I've ever read for a slight turnaround for a console in Japan and a decent couple of months for software sales. Lets not blow these footnotes out of proportion because we're bored. False and over-exaggerated excitement make me physically ill.

Grr, I mean, "We have never seen anything like this before" where have you been bro? Didn't the Wii do this to the american market, or the DS do it before the PSP, or the PS2 before that? Haven't seen seen something as good, equal, better, or the exact same as this small fluctuation every week for the last 10 freakin' years?

How in gods name did you come up with "We have never seen anything like this before" tell me please. Were you just typing and that's what came out, or what? It's like something I would type on a term paper, for filler, but it's so bad that I would have to re-write it.

I HAVE to know the motivation behind that sentence. Explain it to me. How did its formation come about? How did it form in your head before you wrote it. Tell me, I'm genuinely asking, please, I have to know. It's more frusterating than "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

You are misunderstanding a lot lately ... he meant during the lifecycle of a system . The DS didnt do nothing similar , it was a hit from the first day , yes , if you compare them to their predecesessor they are full blown successe , I agree . Same is with the Wii . What is impressive about the PSP is the fact that it was considered by many to be almost dead , and then , in the middle of its lifecycle it just exploded in Japan . The closest comparison for this is the N64 , but even that only managed to get decent sales , afther the Saturn got out of the game , and the DC entered ;)

The PSP exploded in Japan because it had a new model plus the new MH came out. Now that MH sales are waning, so are PSP sales. Not by A LOT, but it's still waning every week.

So is every other system in Japan ...

Oyvoyvoyv : There was a MHF game released in the same timeframe last year , so yeah , there was an actual 2x growth ...

Oh , and

Oh, I checked it, you're correct. Even though that wasn't as huge as this one, PsP has still increased 90% HW and 70% SW.

Around the Network

Ya the 4x could be to high if it was taken literally... I was using hyperbole to basically say MB would sell more in the long run... Also the 150k a decent bet... I were actually making a bet I would play safer and say 150-200k or 175k... but I could easily see 150k being the final number.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Ya the 4x could be to high if it was taken literally... I was using hyperbole to basically say MB would sell more in the long run... Also the 150k a decent bet... I were actually making a bet I would play safer and say 150-200k or 175k... but I could easily see 150k being the final number.

Mario Baseball will probably sell about as much as Mario Strikers...  You can take that literally.

PSN - hanafuda

The PSP currently is doing well for itself, but how long will it last?

i predict that Robot Taisen sales will sell 75-85k first week.

As for how long the great PSP sales will last in japan, well, it's anyone's guess.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

whacker41 said:
The PSP currently is doing well for itself, but how long will it last?

i predict that Robot Taisen sales will sell 75-85k first week.

As for how long the great PSP sales will last in japan, well, it's anyone's guess.

Well there are plenty niche games slated for August-October , so I guess that will be enough to keep sales at good levels . The question is how much will be PSP sales effected when Pokemon Platinum will be released , or DQ9 ...