By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is wrong with the PSP-Games?

PSP games are competing with too much:

1) PS2 games. PSP games are too similar to PS2 gmaes. People already own PS2 games, no reason to buy it on another system. Also, PS2 games don't really work on the go (loading times, battery life, no good stopping points) so why bother making PS2 games portable?

2) PS3 games. It's pretty clear where Sony has put its game development resources. So if you're going to make a game on a "new" Sony system, may as well go for the PS3.

3) DS games. When Nintendogs and Brain Training were released, the DS showed games that couldn't be done on any other console. Sony's response: a Neopets RPG.

4) Emulated games. The PSP is a great place to emulate games from other consoles, for free. And PSP games are easy to plop onto a memory stick as well. This happens on the DS as well, but there are waaaay more people who don't know how/don't want to anyway on the DS, versus the PSP.

5) PSP multimedia. People get the PSP for its multimedia functions, not for its games. Half due to its short battery life, half due to games from other consoles.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
When commuting or on the move, games need to be playable in very short chunks of time. The slower load time of the UMD combined with more console like gameplay means that the games aren't really designed for these short time periods.

That's something I don't think the game reviews really reflect as they are usually reviewed in a setting where the game is played continuously.

A lot of the games I have played include the quicksave function, which has prevented me from really having any problems.  The PSP also lets you turn the system off and go into standby, which then lets you turn the game back on immediately where you were, although this does consume some battery power if you leave it like that for too long.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Pirates: Too easy to pirate, Sony has tried to update the FW to combat them, but they've gotten owned in that department to the point where Custom FW are widely available.

UMD: It's slow and Sony would've been better off going with flash drive media, but Sony wanted to try to make UMD standard by selling them as the same price as DVDs.

Media Player: It's a pretty good media player, though it could actually be better if Sony actually got on their ass and got Music, Movies and TV shows on the PS Store to be available to own and rent

Lack of analog sticks and buttons: When you have that much power on the little machine you want to be able to use it, however the lack of a second analog stick and R2 + L2 buttons hurt it, not saying this would translate into more sales, but maybe more games with good cameras and button control.

PS2 and Wii Ports: I would rather play the games on the big screen so not only is porting to the PSP bad, but the other way around is even worse and there are plenty of PSP - PS2 ports.

There are plenty more reasons but I have to go to work now, bottom line is Sony fucked up, Sony Corporation hasn't done much right in the past 3-4 years, let alone their gaming division.

With that said, anyone that says that the PSP is not a successful handheld is a buffoon and should study their history. I think the Game Gear is the one handheld that was able to get the most marketshare from Nintendo prior to the PSP and they got a measly 8-9% or so if I'm not mistaken. The PSP might not be the cash cow it could've been had Sony not completely fucked up, but they are definitely making Sony money.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Pirates: Too easy to pirate, Sony has tried to update the FW to combat them, but they've gotten owned in that department to the point where Custom FW are widely available.

UMD: It's slow and Sony would've been better off going with flash drive media, but Sony wanted to try to make UMD standard by selling them as the same price as DVDs.

Media Player: It's a pretty good media player, though it could actually be better if Sony actually got on their ass and got Music, Movies and TV shows on the PS Store to be available to own and rent

Lack of analog sticks and buttons: When you have that much power on the little machine you want to be able to use it, however the lack of a second analog stick and R2 + L2 buttons hurt it, not saying this would translate into more sales, but maybe more games with good cameras and button control.

PS2 and Wii Ports: I would rather play the games on the big screen so not only is porting to the PSP bad, but the other way around is even worse and there are plenty of PSP - PS2 ports.

There are plenty more reasons but I have to go to work now, bottom line is Sony fucked up, Sony Corporation hasn't done much right in the past 3-4 years, let alone their gaming division.

With that said, anyone that says that the PSP is not a successful handheld is a buffoon and should study their history. I think the Game Gear is the one handheld that was able to get the most marketshare from Nintendo prior to the PSP and they got a measly 8-9% or so if I'm not mistaken. The PSP might not be the cash cow it could've been had Sony not completely fucked up, but they are definitely making Sony money.

The two parts Ive bolded are not entirely correct . R@D alone prooved that if developers want it , they can make games with almost 0 loading time and great controls . And they are not alone . For load times , and bad controls developers are the ones to blame and not the system ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

pirating.

i don't have a psp tho so I'm just going off what I've learned about it

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
FilaBrasileiro said:

The two parts Ive bolded are not entirely correct . R@D alone prooved that if developers want it , they can make games with almost 0 loading time and great controls . And they are not alone . For load times , and bad controls developers are the ones to blame and not the system ...

Well I'll take your word on the 1st one because I don't own a PSP yet, but on the 2nd point I really do believe that the lack of a 2nd analog stick, R2+L2 buttons as well as a touch screen really hurt the PSP.

FilaBrasileiro said:
hunter_alien said:
FilaBrasileiro said:

Well I'll take your word on the 1st one because I don't own a PSP yet, but on the 2nd point I really do believe that the lack of a 2nd analog stick, R2+L2 buttons as well as a touch screen really hurt the PSP.

Well it depends on the game genre . EA prooved to us with Medal of Honor : Heroes that FPSs can work on the PSP . R@D prooved us that 3D platfrmers can also work . Namco Bandia prooved that flight sims can work . SCEB prooved that 3rdPS , stelath games can work really well ... so I cant think about any other game genre that utilises more complex control schemes . Maybe RTS games , but I still have to see a real one on the PSP :( ( Common Galaxys End , you can make it :D ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!