By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SOCOM: Confrontation (System Seller?)

shanbcn said:
Well is PSN title enough to move systems? When will real Socom come?

No, I don't believe that a PSN title will generate what's neccesary to have a large impact on sales.  If Sony wants to have a better impact on American sales, then they should try making the 40gig model look better.  Socom itself is not what it used to be as a franchise. ( probably due to over use of the Franchise, better know as "milking")

As far as a new Socom,  I sure that we'll see one in 2009 from Zippy Int. , but if we do it wil be late 2009.  My suspicion is that Zippy is also working on a new IP.  No idea when that's coming out though. Maybe 2010?

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Around the Network

socom a system seller ,don't an idea

There are a good 500,000 to 1,000,000 people who would buy a console for Socom. Socom 3/CA never sold as much as Socom 2 because they moved away from the base gameplay. Those games could have sold 3million+ if they were better sequels to the game.

The developers of Socom:Confrontation promised this new Socom would be just like Socom 2. If it delivers, this "PSN" game is going to move more consoles by itself than any game other than MGS4. Knowning Socom players they are probably playing the Xbox360 right now on games like COD4. Those fans are between 16-26 now (I would assume) but seeing as there has never been another game like SOCOM i can see a good portion of them buying PS3's just for this game.

I would definitely buy a PS3 just for SOCOM, no questions asked, if it turns out to be like SOCOM 2 with the enhancements.

It will outsell any PSN game by far, and I think the in-store game with the Official Sony headset will sell near 1,000,000 as well. So yes, Socom wont sell like MGS4 at first, but it will give the PS3 a good hardware boost since I would assume most Socom players have a 360 right now.

Edit: And just to add. Most Socom players dont care if its from Zipper or not. Zipper the same company they were when they released SOCOM 2. This game looks a lot closer to Socom 2 than even SOCOM 3 did.

Jandre that's basically what I was thinking. Just explained a bit better, thanks.

If perferring the PS3 over the 360 makes me a fanboy.. I guess I am guilty..

List of 360 Games I would like to have: Alan Wake

List of PS3 Games I would like to have: LBP, FFXIII(if it ever comes), R2(maybe)

List of Wii Games I would like to have: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (It's not an exclusive but it would be awesome)

Socom has a very dedicated following. Many people will buy a PS3 for it. So in a sense it is a system seller, but I wouldn't expect huge numbers. Socom will have the same problems as Warhawk, people will complain about the lack of single player.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
Suspense304 said:
Jandre that's basically what I was thinking. Just explained a bit better, thanks.

No problem. I think only Socom fans really understand why Socom could POTENTIALLY be a system seller lol. But one thing Socom is going to do which Sony wont like is stop those fans from buying many games. All 60 or so people in my clan didnt buy a game for over a year while playing Socom lol.

But tournaments where you have to pay money to enter, but can win money for winning would create some revenue.

OR you can just read Jandre002's post, he knows what he's talking about....

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube.