By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Wii Sales for America and Japan

I know that Wii Sports is a forced buy, but why does that exclude it from the sales chart for America? You are still paying $50 dollars for it, and you have a physical copy of it in your possession. If they ever removed it from the packaged deal, would all those sales count then?

Around the Network

He's got a point...it should get counted...but we can count Wii Sports later if it's not in the package anymore. Just add the 1.5 million American Wii Sports to the future sales. 1.5 million...wow...that puts Wii Sports at like 3 million games worldwide I'd bet. And yeah...it's a big difference in gaming tastes between Japan and America...even on the Wii.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I wouldnt say there's much of a difference really. The Wii is selling in both countries primarily because of one killer app, Wii Sports. Nintendo was smart enough to call that Americans might be less perceptive to the thing(because it looks too cutesy) so they bundled it with the Wii to get the word out.

It should also be noted that titles (2), (4), (5) in Japan are not out in America yet. We (here in Australia) have had Wii Play since launch, and it also sells really well (as its basically a free game with a controller). Conversely... have American titles (2), (3), (4) been released in Japan? (Red Steel, Rayman, Madden...). Im *really* surprised Pokemon Wii hasn't done MUCH better (like 500k units) in Japan. Got decent scores, has online play and looked nice. Zelda Im not so surprised about - it should still hit 1mill (or so) by the end of the year.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

These two lists show why Wii will not win in America. Gamers are looking for FPP's shooters, sport games, racings, action games etc. They buy Red Steel and CoD or Madden NFL and than ... Madden? khem "maybe next time I should buy a conversion for PS2 because there is no difference (ok, control sucks)" It will be the same in Europe.

Around the Network

kber81 said: These two lists show why Wii will not win in America. Gamers are looking for FPP's shooters, sport games, racings, action games etc.
Fool. Those genres benefit from Wiis controls as much as others. Do you seriously think people will play Tiger Woods or Madden with PS2 rather than on Wii? Metroid Prime 3 and RE:UC will boost Wiis sales most definately too. If even the Red Steel sells 257 750, then you should be able to forecast how good the better titles will sell.

Geez.. I want to play bleach. Did nintendo say that they will not enforce region coding? Is this up to the developers?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

kber81 said: These two lists show why Wii will not win in America. Gamers are looking for FPP's shooters, sport games, racings, action games etc. They buy Red Steel and CoD or Madden NFL and than ... Madden? khem "maybe next time I should buy a conversion for PS2 because there is no difference (ok, control sucks)" It will be the same in Europe.
First person shooters will probably be the most fun on the Wii. I even tolerated Red Steel...I got a few gaming hours into that one. Contrary to popular belief, aka Kwaad, it can be fun sometimes. You just need a room full of people to make it fun, something Kwaad probably didn't have....burn. Metroid will be cool, and they'll make more FPS's.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

kber81 said: These two lists show why Wii will not win in America. Gamers are looking for FPP's shooters, sport games, racings, action games etc. They buy Red Steel and CoD or Madden NFL and than ... Madden? khem "maybe next time I should buy a conversion for PS2 because there is no difference (ok, control sucks)" It will be the same in Europe.
Except that EA is really pleased with the Wii, and gave Wii Madden it's own dev team (unlike the cube versions which were usually bare bones versions) and controls which have gotten great reviews. When you consider that this was the consoleversion without online, it becomes quite apparent that Madden Wii 08 will be huge. EA is releasing Tiger Woods and an Exclusive Blur title quite soon, so it doesn't look like the Wii will falter on the sports front. As for FPS's, how does Red Steel at number two mean that Wii will fail for not having FPS's? do you mean because of the control complaints? because thats game specific, with Elebits and COD getting much better reviews on control Once again, considering its the console version without online, one would imagine that the next Wii iteration of the series will do very well. As for the future of Wii FPS's, Prime is an obvious example, and the Wii resident evil game may be a third person shooter, but it'll be amazing. Also, I'm going to assume that Red Steel 2 will adress the large bounding box control issue. Wii's software future is looking quite bright. Metal Gear Solid's Hojima can't wait to tuck into the Wii, Dead Rising's Inafune is working on a Wii project, and Half Life's Gabe Newell has stated that he thinks the Wii will be number one. The Wii is exciting a lot of developers, much like the DS has. As for the thread topic, it is an interesting difference, The two markets have different tastes, but the Wii software line up was varied enough to appeal to both.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.