By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Cutscenes: In-game or not?

akuma587 said:
Its pretty awesome how NJ5 is trying to prove all this without even having played the game...obviously shows you were his intentions are...

Actually I was just curious. It's not a big deal really (as you can see most people didn't even notice or care), but after having heard so much about this game I'm kind of curious about how it works in technical aspects. Before yesterday I also assumed everything was in-game.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Shameless said:
MikeB said:
Potential advantages from realtime cutscenes:

- Seamless transition from gameplay to cutscene and from cutscene to gameplay.

- Dynamic changes like Ratchet suit changes during the game of Ratchet & Clank: Tools of destruction. Or when I dropped a nanoswarm just before entering a cutscene and have it rendered inside a realtime cutscene like I did with R&C: TOD.

- Cutscene interactivity, like being able to change camera views, or like here being able to use a robot to move around in the cutscene. Potentially developers could adjust a cutscene so that it affects what goes on within the cutscene.

If you can think of more advantages, please share your thoughts and ideas.

MGS4 has all of the above and the cutscenes are apparantly not in-game. Still not seeing any reason to care.

I am interested in technology and how this can enhance games, so I care.

Moving a robot around within a cutscene is simply not possible within a pre-rendered FMV, it's using the in-game engine in realtime.

They're separated into different screens. One is real-time and the other is FMV. It's a simple thing to test... Just try to get the Mark II to appear in the other screen... You can't do it. I tried for 15 minutes during one scene and it failed to appear 5-6 times. That means the screen is not being rendered in real time.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

NJ5 said:

Some cutscenes are obviously in-game, but that's all you have proven.

I have seen several screenshots of cutscenes with video compression artifacts, notably the screenshots sieanr posted of a cutscene in Act 3:

Example:

Look at the square blocks there. Also, if you do right click + view image to be able to see all of it, look at the place a bit above the building. The artifacts are even more obvious there.

If you want to make up your mind about this and you have the game, check this cutscene and look at the sky. If you've seen downloaded DivX movies before, you'll probably know what kind of artifacts I'm talking about - color gradients lose in quality and number of different colors, having sharp color changes and being blocky. Then post your findings here.

This is fucking pathetic(excuse my language) GO TO LONDON ANY OF YOU , AND LOOK AT THE FREAKIN SCREEN NOTICE THE SQUARE ON THE WALLS AND IN THE SKY, AND ON SNAKE WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING THE WHOLE GAME IS FUCKING COMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Enough with this, Im tired of PC GAMERS ATTACKING THE PS3 BECAUSE THEY THINK ITS A WOTHLESS MACHINE just get it through your HEADS ITS IN GAME IGN SAID ITS IN GAME GAMESPOT SAID ITS IN GAME!!!

If you say otherwise your BLIND.

mM

leo-j, why are you creating more flames?

After that post of mine, tons of relevant discussion has already happened, why don't you reply to that instead? Chill out!

NJ5 said:
akuma587 said:
Its pretty awesome how NJ5 is trying to prove all this without even having played the game...obviously shows you were his intentions are...

Actually I was just curious. It's not a big deal really (as you can see most people didn't even notice or care), but after having heard so much about this game I'm kind of curious about how it works in technical aspects. Before yesterday I also assumed everything was in-game.

Its an interesting debate, I agree, and you haven't really said anything outlandish, so it isn't a big deal.  But you should try to play the game in spite of this debate at all since it is so good.  It would probably help you figure out more about the cutscenes too.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Leo, calm the hell down. You're going to get banned again if you act like that.

Im sorry Im just mad, its in game kojima has never used Pre rendered cutscenes, and IGN/ gamespot has confirmed it in there review.

mM
akuma587 said:
NJ5 said:
akuma587 said:

Its an interesting debate, I agree, and you haven't really said anything outlandish, so it isn't a big deal.  But you should try to play the game in spite of this debate at all since it is so good.  It would probably help you figure out more about the cutscenes too.

I would probably try the game if it was on the 360 or PC (or Wii but I don't think that's happening). Actually, this very issue of FMVs will also affect how ports can turn out, due to space.

leo-j said:
Im sorry Im just mad, its in game kojima has never used Pre rendered cutscenes, and IGN/ gamespot has confirmed it in there review.

There weren't any pre-rendered scenes in MGS? I know you played the game recently so you'll know better than me. It's been a decade since I played the game.

Play the end of act 3. Look at the sky. Try to zoom in.

Its clearly pre-rendered.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"