By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New AMD Graphics Chip More Powerful Than Every Console Combined

So this thread should really be titled "New AMD chip more expense than every consol combined" WOW!! Can ya feel the Sarcasim BABY!! Huh!!

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
^ By "next" you mean the R800? Or the RV770? Because even the Radeon HD4850 that will sell for ~$200 is around 40% better for games than the 9800GTX.

You do realize we are at the point that a stronger GPU isnt even needed. What is the point of being able to run Crysis at 300fps?

Actually, nVidia's latest card, the $649 GTX 280, can barely average 30 fps in Crysis at 1920x1200 (comparable to 1080p), high quality: http://techreport.com/articles.x/14934/13

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_280_Amp_Edition/10.html

Lulz techpowerup

The general consensus among benchmarks is that the GTX280 performs worse than the 9800GTX2. Even Toms Hardware, which is one of the reviewers most open to bribes, shows the 280 behind.

The fact of the matter is Nvidia is completely boned with the 280. Its a huge chip thats expensive to make, has terrible yields, runs hot and consumes insane amounts of power. Maybe the drivers will develop and it will actually be an improvement over cheaper cards, but for the time being its just a dumb buy.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Too bad only .0000001% of PC users will know how to actually find need for this in their computer, let alone find a game using this graphics card.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I'd like to first note that I prefer gaming on the PC. But...

The fact that performance of your average PC game relies so heavily on your GPU is a result of the algorithm choices those game designers made much more so than many think. They make these choices because no assumptions can be made about relative strengths of CPU and GPU, bus speed, etc. This is the way things have been for a little while now in the X86 commodity hardware world and I get the impression that this is leading people to think that this is some iron law of the universe.

Consoles have a significant advantage simply because their hardware is invariant. Invariants make problems simpler. This is something that transcends computers, any scientist will look for invariants -- or artificially add them -- in a system to simplify his model of that system.

At the very least, the first thing that one usually tries to impress upon students in any undergraduate computer architecture class is that nearly any of these "more powerful than thou" statements put out by companies are full of lies of omission.

While I am starting to change my opinion of GPGPUs strength relative to FPGAs, I have my reservations about them relative to traditional CPUs (cell and it's SPEs still fall into this category). Stream processors in general are only good for non-branchy, trivially parallelizable tasks, with very small memory windows. These things are why traditionally most of the compute time for volumetric particle rendering was in the cpu. There are now algorithms for the new cards, but they make all kinds of assumptions due to the limits of the architecture. The last part is extremely important in something like a sparse matrix algorithms (which are normally faster if you know your matrices are sparse) or even decent, quick AA.

There is alot more, but hopefully my point that things are not as simple as they seem gets across.

TheTruthHurts! said:
So this thread should really be titled "New AMD chip more expense than every consol combined" WOW!! Can ya feel the Sarcasim BABY!! Huh!!

Not really. If it is 600-700 dollars that is only two consoles.

Around the Network

@leo-j -- You should wiki uncanny valley

sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
^ By "next" you mean the R800? Or the RV770? Because even the Radeon HD4850 that will sell for ~$200 is around 40% better for games than the 9800GTX.

You do realize we are at the point that a stronger GPU isnt even needed. What is the point of being able to run Crysis at 300fps?

Actually, nVidia's latest card, the $649 GTX 280, can barely average 30 fps in Crysis at 1920x1200 (comparable to 1080p), high quality: http://techreport.com/articles.x/14934/13

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_280_Amp_Edition/10.html

Lulz techpowerup

The general consensus among benchmarks is that the GTX280 performs worse than the 9800GTX2. Even Toms Hardware, which is one of the reviewers most open to bribes, shows the 280 behind.

The fact of the matter is Nvidia is completely boned with the 280. Its a huge chip thats expensive to make, has terrible yields, runs hot and consumes insane amounts of power. Maybe the drivers will develop and it will actually be an improvement over cheaper cards, but for the time being its just a dumb buy.

Toms Hardware are a bunch of retards.

http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-review-test/17

why dont you look what the good folks at Guru have to say. From the looks of it the GTX 280 is better.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Surpised on how my card(s) go on Crysis on that chart... 8800 GTX

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

sc94597 said:
TheTruthHurts! said:

But it's $399 >_>

fazz said:
sc94597 said:
TheTruthHurts! said:

But it's $399 >_>

I was referring to the one in the op.