By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict LittleBigPlanet's launch week software sales and hardware boost.

FishyJoe said:
This is just one thread amongst dozens that were created. You have to admit there was an unreal amount of hype for this game on these forums.

Agreed.

Hype was spectacularly high.  And still is.  The game is full of win.

But the game is far from being done selling.  And many people expected 500k first week or around that, and it exceeded that.  We can argue up and down about how much the game is hyped, but the fact of the matter is that many people knew that this wouldn't be a game with a huge opening, but longer legs.

Around the Network

I'd love to see a few LBP prediction threads that were closer to launch, rather than 4 months before.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yes, there are people who had realistic expectations. Yet there are also many that had unrealistic expectations. One does not negate the other.

At some point you just have to move on.

I wa sactually expecting the game to bomb... and it didnt... oh my the surprise :P Well one thing is certain: the game neither bombed, but it wasnt the massive force like Gears or MGS either...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The hype on the internet forums for LBP was because the game looked awesome. The "LBP planet will be huge" campaign had nothing to do with sales. Predictions by fanboys of any console should be ignored. The simple fact is, LBP exceeded most peoples expectations.

Sorry to call sombody out, but HappySqurriel, one of the most sensible posters here predicted 75-125k WW first week. Soriku predicted 150K, the list could go on.

Around the Network

yeah it matched the expectations of non sony fanboys. we were laughoing at the particular sony fans (not all of them) which predicted this to be multi million.

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

FishyJoe said:

Yes, there are people who had realistic expectations. Yet there are also many that had unrealistic expectations. One does not negate the other.

Agreed.

Moving on is what we should do.

So anyone who makes a thread about LBP sales should get banned?

That way, we could put all this behind the site at large, as I've previously stated, there were people on both sides of the spectrum.  But people are content with not believing that as many people predicted this wrong, the same amount predicted it right.  They are content saying that everyone thought it'd sell a gazillion copies.  And then when you ask those people for links or something, it seems like it's an impossible thing to do, but when the rational people link to ratoinal predictions, it's quiet, and no one wants to say anything.

but again, i digress.

Let the site put this behind us, and never bring up LBP sales again.  I'd be too happy to let that happen.  I'm having tons of fun actually playing the game anyway.  lol.

DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:

Agreed.

Moving on is what we should do.

So anyone who makes a thread about LBP sales should get banned?

That way, we could put all this behind the site at large, as I've previously stated, there were people on both sides of the spectrum.  But people are content with not believing that as many people predicted this wrong, the same amount predicted it right.  They are content saying that everyone thought it'd sell a gazillion copies.  And then when you ask those people for links or something, it seems like it's an impossible thing to do, but when the rational people link to ratoinal predictions, it's quiet, and no one wants to say anything.

but again, i digress.

Let the site put this behind us, and never bring up LBP sales again.  I'd be too happy to let that happen.  I'm having tons of fun actually playing the game anyway.  lol.

See that's exactly it, it was kind of quiet until somebody decided to be over sensitive and went on to do an "I told you so" necro post.

Well the first week is not 500k but 350k, so quite in line with most expectations when this thread was created. But then the game got all these overrated reviews and that's when the LBP craziness really exploded on the internet. Plus, Sony hugely advertised this game (probably the PS3 game they advertised the most ever), so sales expectations got much higher.

I think people like Soriku or HappySquirrel would obviously have multiplied by 3 their original predictions if they knew the game would get such high reviews and such heavy advertising.

^ Because of the messed up NA launch, you add the first two weeks of data together to equal the first week.

So it 350K +180K = 530K