By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fischer: Nintendo "working on solution" to Wii storage issue

I think they should have a usb port hard drive. That it the best way to go about this problem and it can be super big so we can save a ton of shit. SD cards can only hold so much and it take forever to download stuff onto it

Around the Network

I can understand why Nintendo may not want to release a USB hard-drive, mainly for priacy protection being that someone can buy a 500GB hardrive (capable of holding 64 to 128 uncracked games, or potentially 200+ cracked games) for $100. I do think it would be worthwhile to allow people to use usb flash memory drives (if they choose to) which would give people access to 4GB of storage for $15 today, and 16GB for $100; and next year people would probably have access to $8GB for under $20 and 32GB for $100.

Opening up the SD card slot and allowing USB storage confirmed.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I think this is all related to the recent upgrade that ensures the wii deletes any unsigned data stored on the Wii itself. They will open up the SD card slot and this will become an extension of the internal storage.

The Wii will probably ensure there's a set amount of free space on the internal memory itself and when you run the SD programs they will be copied to the space and ran from there. This will ensure they run faster and if any hackers try to copy files then unsigned or incorrectly signed data will be removed.

By constantly updating that signature via firmware updates then they can trigger the Wii to clean up any time they activate the trigger.

But hey what do I know - I write call centre software and thats a million miles away from these solutions.

Good news, but I'm still kind of sceptic.

Around the Network

I expect better SD support or maybe a USB HDD. Something so simple and elegant even the most casual of players will be able to handle it in stride.

yushire said:
I think he dont know what he is talking about. After the geeks and otaku fiasco he just wants to escape criticism by saying we're working on it.

Except that Iwata said they were working on this long before that guys first comment. So this isn't to escape criticism; it's to correct himself.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I'm guessing they are working on some sort of encryption for opening up external HDD and SD support. Basically if they just created an encryption key based on the Wii's ID, they should be able to avoid several issues. I don't really know what they are trying to come up with, but I'm sure there are several ways to prevent people from pirating from external HDD's and SD cards.

People from NOE knows shit..............
I only trust in NOA and Nintendo itself.

What they are hopefully crafting is a firmware update that allows direct access to the SD card AND an external USB flash or harddrive if that is what gamers choose, and with this, the Channels menu will hopefully expand automatically to allow for more than 48 Games/Channels to be used.

However, since they have yet to offer a solid solution, what this really means is that the harassment and bombardment of Nintendo on this subject needs to continue unabated. The complaining should not stop, nor should is slow, until the issue is resolved!