By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just bought a DS, need some help!

Just picked up a DS about a week ago, and I'm looking for some great RPG's.

Basically what I'm looking for is length and depth, I don't like shallow games, and I don't like linear games either. I only have Pokemon Diamond as of now, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Around the Network

Congratulations, the DS is a really good console I recommend you Mario & Luigi: Partners in time, TWEWY, and the FF and DQ remakes.

Length and depth, eh? But NOT linear? If you're a masochist with OCD, then Shiren the Wanderer is for you (it's a roguelike, though). Ditto for Eritrean Oddysey. For a more forgiving version of Shiren, there's the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (also roguelikes). Finally, there's Disgaea (Strategy RPG) and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (also a SRPG, and while I haven't personally played it yet it's received good reviews).

noname2200 said:
Length and depth, eh? But NOT linear? If you're a masochist with OCD, then Shiren the Wanderer is for you (it's a roguelike, though). Ditto for Eritrean Oddysey. For a more forgiving version of Shiren, there's the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (also roguelies). Finally, there's Disgaea (Strategy RPG) and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (also a SRPG, and while I haven't personally played it yet it's received good reviews).

Haha, I guess I kinda am, you've sparked my interest. Linear games are fine as well, I'd just prefer something non-linear. I'm more concerned with the length and depth factor though. Thanks for your recommendations, I'll check some of them out.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Wait there's a Disgaea DS?

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network
DKHustlin said:

Wait there's a Disgaea DS?

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168132&p=39

Don't get your hopes up too much though: it's essentially a port of the first game.

@Gobias: happy to help.

But seriously, make sure you know what you're getting into with Shiren. Technically, it's a turn-based RPG, but it's highly dependent on your learning how to react to situations. You will die, and often, and every time you do you'll go back to square one. And you won't get far if you don't stop to think about why you died, where you screwed up, and how to avoid making a similar mistake in the future. Most people find it frustrating, especially since you'll never encounter the exact same situation twice, but personally I love every second of it (hence the "masochist with OCD" comment...)

Sorry for babbling so much, though.

Here is a list of RPG's on the DS that are out and will be releasing for the handheld at a later date :)

Blue Dragon Plus
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
Dragon Quest IX: Guard of the Starry Night (working title)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (if you like Pokemon)

Super Princess Peach?

This list is extremely incomplete and contains some games that won´t be released soon.

@okr

Where do you see Super Princess Peach?

And if my list is incomplete feel free to prove me wrong with another list, bro...

Luminous Arc.
FF:CC RoF
Hoshigami: Remix
Shizuna: Legend of the unemployed ninja