By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - In the end, which is more important....Hardware or software sales?

For these 3 groups:

A) Console makers (MS/SONY/Nintendo)

B) 3rd parties

C) Gamers (you, me ,everyone here)

And how are the 360, PS3 and Wii performing, in your opinion, in the Software Sales department (especially concerning 3rd party titles.)?

Around the Network

more hardware = more chances of having exclusive games. Though, lack of software sales (such as for non-nintendo games) will not help developers

reptile got it in one

a) If you're Sony or Microsoft, software. If you're Nintendo, both.
b) Software, all the way.
c) Again, software: even if a console's sold 300 million, developers won't do jack for it if their games don't sell well on it. The reverse is equally true.

Concerning third-party sales, the 360 is ahead in total sales, the Wii is close behind, and the PS3 trails both. Concerning the all-important return on investment, I suspect the Wii is ahead for most developers, although the dearth of third-party AAA releases on the system means I'm not sure how far up the ladder that carries (other software sales seem healthy enough). The PS3 seems to be weakest in that regard, although the (relative) ease of cross-development with the 360/PC means it'll still see plenty of cross-platform releases.

Hardware/Nintendo: Profit
Third Parties: Software
Gamers: Sales don't matter

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Hardware: profit
Third Parties: software
Gamers: Doesn't matter
Fanboys: Hardware

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

The software is where the money is at (except Nintendo--they profit on the hardware too). Sony loses money on every ps3 console sold. MS lost on the 360 for awhile. Why? Because they know they'll make the money back on software.  But there is correlation.  The more hardware out, the higher the potential to sell more software...unless a console has odd attach rates.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

I think for a console maker, software and hardware sales are equally important. Without much software, but alot of hardware you end up like the PSP. Lots of
For 3rd party, software sales>hardware sales. Look at the Wii...
For gamers, software sales are most important. Look at 360.

Hardware sales lead to better software sales

A) Whatever makes the company more money.

B) Whatever makes the company more money.

C) Whatever makes us give the company more money.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/