By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 storyline related questions (DO NOT ENTER UNLESS COMPLETED MGS4)

DTG said:

DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE ENTIRE GAME. CONSIDERING THIS WARNING I WILL NOT BE PLACING SPOILER TAGS AROUND INDIVIDUAL QUESTIONS BELOW AS EACH OF THEM CONSTITUTE MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T FINISHED MGS4.

I just finished the game for my second time and am planning on a review but first I want clarify certain aspects of the storyline that were muddled for me. So for those of you who have beaten the game I'd appreciate if you could clarify a few things.

1) We know the reasons for Vamp's immortality however I don't recall any explanation given as to why he was fighting alongside Ocelot? He and Ocelot were on conflicting sides in MGS2 and the first few chapters of MGS4 highlight the surprise of Snake when witnessing Vamps involvement with Ocelot's grand scheme. What were Vamps motives?

2) I understand Naomi's motives but why was she caressing Vamp prior to his fight with Snake and why did Vamp call her Queen (an obvious reference Fortune)?. The entire scene seemed like a throwback to Vamp and Fortunes relationship in MGS2 but I don't understand Naomi's importance or relation to either of those characters.

3) The ending dialog with Big Boss implies to me that Eva was aware that the corpse she was carrying was in fact the body of Solidus. Why did she then risk her life by walking into the flames of the burning corpse during the ending sequences of Act 3? If she wasn't aware of this then how did the mixup happen between Raidens delivery of what was ostensibly Big Boss' corpse?

4) Was it ever explained how Sunny was found and rescued and how Raiden ended up as a Cyborg Ninja? Dr Madnar was responsible for his exoskeleton but are the reasons for Raiden's deterioration ever adressed?

5) I realize it was implied and meant to be somewhat vague but what is your interpretation on why Raiden and Rose broke up following their wedding?

6) It turns out that Ocelot was essentially "faking" Liquids posession of his identity. The System at the time was not in tact and as a founding member of the Patriots he should have been aware that all original members minus possibly Zero were dead. Why and who did he mean to fool with this Hybrid of Liquid Ocelot? JD? Wouldn't Liquids control of Ocelots mind also erase the intimate and crucial information Ocelot posessed of the Patriots making his goal of destroying the organization needlessly complex?

1. Vamp is along side LIQUID not OCELOT; remember liquid's goal = patriot's death, that was also solidus' goal.

2. Didn't figure this out either.

3. Implication doesn't mean its fact could just be a mishap on his part.

4. I expect sunny will be in the future MGSs; there was no fortelling of this in both of my play thorughs.

5. Raiden was changed by the Big Shell incident(I dont want to rant in an essay about it so I'll leave it at that).

6. Can't think of anything; I need to replay the part where EVA explained all that.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

1. Vamp probably just didn't have anywhere to go after his squad died, and he probably has no problem working for the highest bidder. He doesn't seem to care much about his own life anyways. His involvement with Naomi may have contributed something to this, but all in all it just isn't clear.

2. It really isn't totally clear what Naomi's motives are. She may or may not have had some kind of romantic liason with Vamp. She may have just been doing it in order to get closer to Liquid's plan, but that would mean they probably were romantic. Once again it really isn't clear, and in this case I think Kojima kind of intended it to be that way as a lesson on moral ambiguity slightly similar to what he did with The Boss in MSG3.

3. I don't think Eva knew that it was Solidus, or else she wouldn't have felt such a personal attachment to the body. She probably wouldn't have been keeping it alive for any other purpose. She may or may not have known that his DNA allows you to connect up with the Patriot system as a passkey. Her going into the flames leads me to believe she thought it was Big Boss. But did they say in the end that it was her who helped reassemble Big Boss?

4. No, it wasn't explained (at least where I saw) where Sunny was or how Raiden rescued her. It wasn't totally clear who did all the work on his body either. What I want to know is how they put his arms back on! How the hell did he go back to being a normal, biological person after all that. I thought he replaced his blood with artificial blood. Once again, it isn't totally clear.

5. Raiden just seemed to not be able to handle going back to his regular life after all of the revelations about himself and the world which he came to during the MGS2 mission. Did he blank out his past about being a child soldier? If so, those memories resurfacing may have had a lot to do with it. He just couldn't accept a normal life after the events in MGS2, especially after he learned about The Patriots.

6. This honestly may have been a decision Kojima made later and just accomodated the story to account for, but he has been setting up Ocelot to be a strange double or triple agent since MGS1 (remember conversation after credits). Ocelot obviously was involved with the U.S. government, even as early as in MGS3, and it is definitely plausible that he was a member of The Patriots all along. After Liquid completely took over Ocelot, I think the way it works is that Liquid can tap into whatever Ocelot has physically or mentally, but Ocelot was pretty much entirely dormant. That way Liquid would have the info Ocelot had. I honestly think Liquid could have figured out a fair amount of it on his own though, especially with his knowledge about the importance of Big Boss's genetic code.

4- I doubt that he's back to 'normal' at the end of the game. I think he still has his new body, but with realistic looking skin over top. I believe his shoulders look look like flesh on an artifical shoulder part, and don't forget about what looks like scars or even where the peices of skin were placed (maybe if he wanted to take them off and put on the ninja armor again?)

6- Ocelot is one of the founding patriots, which is the whole reason for 'Liquid' 'using' him. That suprised me to learn about Ocelot's act. I wonder how he matches Liquid's voice perfectly? lol

----

Back to the OP,

1- I agree with the guess that Vamp is just saying 'whatever' and working with Liquid Ocelot. I don't know if Vamp knew anything about Solidus's true intentions against the patriots in MGS2, but Vamp and Fortune were planning on using Arsenal Gear to launch an attack like they had initinally planned. Maybe he shares Solidus's and Liquid Ocelot's vision? Who knows.

2- Naomi was pretty mysterous and it really never reveals what she's doing. Was she an assistant to Para-Medic (Dr. Clark) back when Gray Fox was being converted into the Cyborg Ninja? Could the fact that she created foxdie and created the basis for her and Vamp's 'immortality' mean she was tasked by the patriots to help Snake from the begining like Drebin? The other thing that bothers me is when she says she can't leave by 'her free will' as if nanomachines are restricting her from going the same way that nanomachines can control a PMC soldier to not do certain things.

3- Maybe Eva knew it was just Solidus, but wanted to play her part in Snake's mission and make sure that everybody thought it was really Big Boss. Big Boss knew that he would die by that new strain of foxdie when he came into contact with Snake, could Eva have known that as well considering foxdie is what finally killed her.

5- When did she say that the child was a miscarriage? I'm pretty sure that he was fine with Rose until she told him the baby was a miscarriage, which is where he began to break down and become what he is now in MGS4.

I noticed it on wiki and I guess Meryl is also in Policenauts? This is where the names of those other guy's (aside from Johnny of course) in Rat Patrol 01 came from. I've never played the game so I found that to be a little odd.

IllegalPaladin said:
akuma587 said:

1. Vamp probably just didn't have anywhere to go after his squad died, and he probably has no problem working for the highest bidder. He doesn't seem to care much about his own life anyways. His involvement with Naomi may have contributed something to this, but all in all it just isn't clear.

2. It really isn't totally clear what Naomi's motives are. She may or may not have had some kind of romantic liason with Vamp. She may have just been doing it in order to get closer to Liquid's plan, but that would mean they probably were romantic. Once again it really isn't clear, and in this case I think Kojima kind of intended it to be that way as a lesson on moral ambiguity slightly similar to what he did with The Boss in MSG3.

3. I don't think Eva knew that it was Solidus, or else she wouldn't have felt such a personal attachment to the body. She probably wouldn't have been keeping it alive for any other purpose. She may or may not have known that his DNA allows you to connect up with the Patriot system as a passkey. Her going into the flames leads me to believe she thought it was Big Boss. But did they say in the end that it was her who helped reassemble Big Boss?

4. No, it wasn't explained (at least where I saw) where Sunny was or how Raiden rescued her. It wasn't totally clear who did all the work on his body either. What I want to know is how they put his arms back on! How the hell did he go back to being a normal, biological person after all that. I thought he replaced his blood with artificial blood. Once again, it isn't totally clear.

5. Raiden just seemed to not be able to handle going back to his regular life after all of the revelations about himself and the world which he came to during the MGS2 mission. Did he blank out his past about being a child soldier? If so, those memories resurfacing may have had a lot to do with it. He just couldn't accept a normal life after the events in MGS2, especially after he learned about The Patriots.

6. This honestly may have been a decision Kojima made later and just accomodated the story to account for, but he has been setting up Ocelot to be a strange double or triple agent since MGS1 (remember conversation after credits). Ocelot obviously was involved with the U.S. government, even as early as in MGS3, and it is definitely plausible that he was a member of The Patriots all along. After Liquid completely took over Ocelot, I think the way it works is that Liquid can tap into whatever Ocelot has physically or mentally, but Ocelot was pretty much entirely dormant. That way Liquid would have the info Ocelot had. I honestly think Liquid could have figured out a fair amount of it on his own though, especially with his knowledge about the importance of Big Boss's genetic code.

4- I doubt that he's back to 'normal' at the end of the game. I think he still has his new body, but with realistic looking skin over top. I believe his shoulders look look like flesh on an artifical shoulder part, and don't forget about what looks like scars or even where the peices of skin were placed (maybe if he wanted to take them off and put on the ninja armor again?)

6- Ocelot is one of the founding patriots, which is the whole reason for 'Liquid' 'using' him. That suprised me to learn about Ocelot's act. I wonder how he matches Liquid's voice perfectly? lol

----

Back to the OP,

1- I agree with the guess that Vamp is just saying 'whatever' and working with Liquid Ocelot. I don't know if Vamp knew anything about Solidus's true intentions against the patriots in MGS2, but Vamp and Fortune were planning on using Arsenal Gear to launch an attack like they had initinally planned. Maybe he shares Solidus's and Liquid Ocelot's vision? Who knows.

2- Naomi was pretty mysterous and it really never reveals what she's doing. Was she an assistant to Para-Medic (Dr. Clark) back when Gray Fox was being converted into the Cyborg Ninja? Could the fact that she created foxdie and created the basis for her and Vamp's 'immortality' mean she was tasked by the patriots to help Snake from the begining like Drebin? The other thing that bothers me is when she says she can't leave by 'her free will' as if nanomachines are restricting her from going the same way that nanomachines can control a PMC soldier to not do certain things.

3- Maybe Eva knew it was just Solidus, but wanted to play her part in Snake's mission and make sure that everybody thought it was really Big Boss. Big Boss knew that he would die by that new strain of foxdie when he came into contact with Snake, could Eva have known that as well considering foxdie is what finally killed her.

5- When did she say that the child was a miscarriage? I'm pretty sure that he was fine with Rose until she told him the baby was a miscarriage, which is where he began to break down and become what he is now in MGS4.

I noticed it on wiki and I guess Meryl is also in Policenauts? This is where the names of those other guy's (aside from Johnny of course) in Rat Patrol 01 came from. I've never played the game so I found that to be a little odd.

6) But it wasn't Liquid using Ocelot, it was Ocelot using Liquid! Ocelot had Liquids nanomachines placed into his body and underwent hypnotherapy to assemble Liquids personality onto his own. He did this by his own volition and it had something to do with eluding the Patriots. That's why I don't understand what benefit it would be for Ocelot to do that.

2) Yeah, I didn't quite understand her saying that she cannot leave by her own free will either. She had the same nanomachines that made Vamp "ìmmortal" so it would have to be something other than force that kept her as a prisoner.

5) Why did she tell him the child was a miscarriage though? Also wouldn't Raiden notice that being untrue considering her belly already being bloated at the end of MGS2? A simple glance at her body should have revealed that she was lying.

Yeah a couple of characters in the MGS franchise borrow their names from Policenauts including Dave and Meryl. Several others lift their names from the movie 2001 Space Odyssey as well.

If you looked at the first credit roll, you will notice that three voice actor did the voices for the Liquid/Ocelot characters. For each of these characters:

1) Liquid Ocelot
2) Revolver Ocelot
3) Ocelot

I guess the third is the voice of the young Ocelot from MGS3.

Here is a question, did Ocelot take Liquid's hand to begin with or was this part of the act? When he takes his coat off during the final battle, you can notice the different color of the whole arm (and not just the hand that Grey Fox amputated).

Also, the way FOXDIE works here is different. In MGS1, everyone dies of a heart attack, which is not the case here. According to Big Boss, Big Mama & Ocelot (and Himself) died because of FOXDIE... but how?

Speaking of which, I laughed real hard when Liquid Ocelot faked death from FOXDIE after you beat RAY

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

DTG said:

Thanks for the thought out reply.

One more question though, why did Ocelot use Liquid as a disguise? What did he gain from going through hypnotherapy and everything else to essentially mold Liquids personality over his own? I remember something about doing so to elude the Patriots attention but I don't quite understand how this was to any benefit of Ocelot?

It would be easier to understand if we knew exactly when Ocelot figured out he could "coax" Liquid out of the arm. But I think the point Kojima was trying to get across was that Ocelot was so inspired by Big Boss and his legacy that he was willing to do anything it takes to support Big Boss's intentions, even if that meant challenging the very institution they created with the help of Zero and the others, The Patriots, and even if it meant sacrificing his own life to do so.

I think if you look back at the end of MGS3 where you obviously see some admiration on Ocelot's part of Big Boss that this makes more sense.

Admittedly, this assertion that Ocelot knew what he was doing all along seems slightly artificial, but as mentioned before Kojima did lay the groundwork for it throughout MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3. It would help more if we knew at what phase of the story Kojima decided to take this angle with Ocelot sacrificing himself for the sake of Big Boss and fighting The Patriots. I imagine it took place somewhere during the development of MGS2 or MGS3 (maybe even as late as MGS4, but I am leaning towards MGS3). He at least laid the foundation for it in MGS1 with the dialogue at the end of the game, so it is slightly more plausible that he at least knew he was going to do something interesting with Ocelot's intentions.

@Questions Raised by Illegal Paladin and DTG's discussion:

I am not sure why Naomi said she couldn't leave either. It might have something to do with her feeling of responsibility towards Vamp or maybe even some romantic attachment. She may have also needed Liquid's technology of nanomachine suppressors to stay alive because of her cancer. You figure she is smart enough to make it on her own, but I think this is one of the things Kojima was trying to get across. It also could have been she realized that staying with Liquid was actually the best way to try and end The Patriots control over the masses. It is probably a combination of these three things, and maybe a few more.

In regards to Rose, she could have told him she had a miscarriage relatively early during the pregnancy(3-6 months). Presumably she has only been pregnant for a month or so during MGS2 (women usually at least need 2 or 3 weeks to tell, but most of them figure it out within a month when they miss their period, so probably 2 months at the max). Some women don't really "show" in terms of their stomach becoming enlarged right up until a few months before the pregnancy.

Jack's behavior was probably affected almost immediately after the events in MGS2, so we will say reasonably based on the average person's psychology and how traumatic the resurfacing of his past was as well as the revelations from the MGS2 mission that he started acting bizarrely within about 2 weeks to a month after the events in MGS2. Rose may have been scared of him pretty early within her pregnancy, and he may have left before she really started "showing." This could also just be a plot hole, but it is a minor one if it is. Their isn't really a timeframe given for the dispute within their relationship, so either explanation is plausible.

After she started getting scared by Jack, she may have left her home for fear of her own safety. She might have even been staying with Roy as she said she told Jack she had a miscarriage in order to help him with his mission.  She could have told him over the phone or something too, which might make sense if she had already been told by Roy to tell Jack she had a miscarriage and she was already showing.  They were probably seperated at that point in time regardless, so the communication definitely could have taken place indirectly rather than face-to-face.

I never noticed some of the names in the game came from 2001. The server room in MGS4 did vaguely remind me of 2001, but it definitely had its own personality based off the coloration of the room and the arrangement of the servers as if they were tombstones. The computer didn't talk either, of course, but I definitely sensed a connection somewhere in there, especially with the video playing after the computer was shut down, although the scene in MGS4 ends on a much different note than the scene in 2001.

The series' attitude towards Artificial Intelligence definitely seems inspired by 2001 too, but there are plenty of other influences and Kojima's own opinion on the matter mixed in with it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Also, who injected Snake with the new strain of FoxDie? I think I missed when that happened and wasn't able to figure it out from people in the game talking about it later.

Potential candidates are:

1. Drebin
2. Naomi
3. The people we never see who were prepping Snake for the Middle East mission.

From what I can gather it seems like 3. The Patriots were definitely behind it one way or another.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Drebin (since he lied about his employer)

He was with the Patriots all along.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

1) In MGS2 Vamp and Dead Cell were always sided with Ocelot. Solidus also used Ocelot to suggest that they steal Arsenal Gear from Solidus....

2) Perpahs its because Vamp wanted to die. Naomi also created the design the of nano-machines in Vamp. and as such i think he expected she could also allow him to die ...

3) EVA new she had to die. She knew that all the patriots needed to die. and she also needed to fool Snake... to protect the body of Big Boss--> the flames didn't kill her. the new Foxdie strains did.

4) Its not explained -- its been left open for your own interpretation and possibly a new mateal gear game ( Metal Gear Raiden? )

5) Raiden couldn't handle his past and ended up drinking all the time and getting into fights. eventually he realised rose had become afraid of him and he just left-- proberly on some mission (getting Sunny or Big Bosses body? )

6) The Patriots could no longer their Proxy's and the AI's were made by Zero -- he feared next-generation. As such im sure Ocelot's DNA was blacklisted by the system and he was proberly also hunted. What better way to confuse a computer than to become a dead man ??