By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

Kojima Says Blu-Ray Disc Doesn't Have Enough Space

Sure, we know Metal Gear Solid 4 is a big game and all. We didn't know it was gianormous. Literally! Last week, Kojima Productions producer Ryan Payton said there wasn't enough space for an English language track on the Japanese version of MGS4 and vice-versa. Just listen to this exchange between Hideo Kojima and Famitsu:

Kojima: For us, we're not still not satisfied with the quality we can do. You know, there's not capacity space.

Interviewer: Wait, wait a sec. Saying there's not enough capacity, are you talking about Blu-ray?

Kojima: That's correct. There's not enough space at all. (laughs) ...There's not enough space. We always talked about where to cut and what to compress.

Hideo Kojima, gaming's Icarus, flying too close to the sun.

Source: Kotaku.com
http://kotaku.com/362807/kojima-says-blu+ray-disc-doesnt-have-enough-space
--------------------------

I posted this for those of you arguing on and on about this and were too lazy to look up the facts yourselves.

Around the Network
siriguillo said:
Omac said:
The 360's GPU is superior and has flexible ram, it's more than enough to reproduce MGS4 on multiple DVD's. Also the CPU is no slacker in the 360.

360 has been in the market for 2.5 years, why are there no games that look as good a mgs4 and uncharted?

Because its unpossible!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

siriguillo said:
Omac said:
siriguillo said:
Omac said:
siriguillo said:
Omac said:
The 360's GPU is superior and has flexible ram, it's more than enough to reproduce MGS4 on multiple DVD's. Also the CPU is no slacker in the 360.

360 has been in the market for 2.5 years, why are there no games that look as good a mgs4 and uncharted?

I think you've been smoking to much.

dont judge other people by your condition

I'm judging you by your pot leaf as an avatar.  Also I believe uncharted could be ported and look identical, but we will never see it on 360 to do a caparison.  But we could on MGS4, we will have to see.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28090.html

watch the review  guess they smoke pot too, they are bias and even they says is better looking, by the way i picked that avatar randomly.

You don't understand, 360 can do that in everyway. It's magical spu's won't help it's ram limitations and not as good GPU.  Actually you do get a lot people saying the Cell makes the GPU better, but I take that with a grain of salt.

siriguillo said:

ok lest say you are right. Well the 360 have been out for 2.5 years by now, if it has the same power(or more) than the ps3, why games on the 360 don’t look 10x better, its easier to program on, and the gpu is better? By the time the ps2 was 2.5 years old games looked great. Why some ps3 games look equal or better than 360 games, if as your are saying the 360 has the same power or more?, how come? The ps3 is 1 year short, why is it that there is nothing on 360 that make everyone say, "ok this is unreachable, this is what next gen is about"? The 360 had everything in it favor.

I didn't say the 360 is as powerful or more powerful than the PS3, I was just commenting on what Kojima seems to think.

But my opinion is indeed that they're both about as powerful as each other, although each has its own strengths in some areas (due to the quite different architectures). The PS3 might be slightly more powerful, but don't expect it to be a big difference.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

disolitude said:

First of all let me say that I absolutly love Metal Gear 4. The game is succeding in tying up the stroy of 3 previous games as well as delivering some a few new and interesting gameplay segments. So I don't mean to undervalue metal gear when I say this...

However there is nothing in this game that xbox360 can't handle. Below are 2 of the main reasons people say this cant be ported to 360 (other than contracts Sony may have with Konami ofcourse)

1. Size

Everyone says that if it be ported, it would have to be on 7-8 DL DVD disks. While no one has yet confirmed if mgs4 is dual layer bluray or sigle layer (25 gigs or 50 gigs...4 xbox disks or 8 xbox disks)...lets take that it is infact a 50 GB bluray game...

One must remember that the majority of metal gears size are the cutscences...gameplay alone could easily fit on to 1 DVD and have room left over. Therefore, we must remember that new compression codecs such as x264 are completely embarrassing Blu-ray video and sound. x264 takes a full Blu-ray film in HD, and compresses it to around 2-3GB. With same quality almost (95%). Same could be applied to the games cutscens bringing the game down to 2 or 3 DL DVD's maximum

Also, the fact is that MGS4 does game installs from 2 to 4 minutes between EVER ACT! So you can just stare at the wall for 3 minutes, or you can get up and swap the disk 2-3 times while playing the whole game (if this came out to 360).

So size is not the issue...

2. Visuals

I have not seen ANYTHING visually that makes MGS4 imposible to port to 360. Once cutscenes are taken out of the picture(which look amazing but are not hard to port), there really isn't anything in mgs4 that makes this game stand out visually from other top level visual games on the 360.

None of the structures take damage (other than that Raven boss which was designed specifically with that in mind) other than window and glass explosions, lighting doesn't adjust dynamically (there is shade and then there is sun...sun never moves), the bodes dissapear from the ground and there isn't many characters on screen at the same time...etc. These are the thigns that require lots of processing power... so visually it should not be a problem.

Therefore the only reasons this game can't come to the 360 are:

A) Kojima doesn't want to do it

B) Sony paid for complete exclusive

Whoever wrote the wikipedia article on mgs4 doesn't concur

Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4:_Guns_of_the_Patriots

Important line:"Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc through extensive efforts in data compression"

According to the wiki article, the developers have already compressed the game to bring it down to 50gb. If they are right, your compression arguement may be flawed.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
tybalt said:

Kojima Says Blu-Ray Disc Doesn't Have Enough Space

Sure, we know Metal Gear Solid 4 is a big game and all. We didn't know it was gianormous. Literally! Last week, Kojima Productions producer Ryan Payton said there wasn't enough space for an English language track on the Japanese version of MGS4 and vice-versa. Just listen to this exchange between Hideo Kojima and Famitsu:

Kojima: For us, we're not still not satisfied with the quality we can do. You know, there's not capacity space.

Interviewer: Wait, wait a sec. Saying there's not enough capacity, are you talking about Blu-ray?

Kojima: That's correct. There's not enough space at all. (laughs) ...There's not enough space. We always talked about where to cut and what to compress.

Hideo Kojima, gaming's Icarus, flying too close to the sun.

Source: Kotaku.com
http://kotaku.com/362807/kojima-says-blu+ray-disc-doesnt-have-enough-space
--------------------------

I posted this for those of you arguing on and on about this and were too lazy to look up the facts yourselves.

good quote there is no more reason for discussion after this post.

Pristine20 said:

Important line:"Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc through extensive efforts in data compression"

According to the wiki article, the developers have already compressed the game to bring it down to 50gb. If they are right, your compression arguement may be flawed.

It has been widely reported that they're using uncompressed audio. I haven't played the game, but from what I've heard there's nothing in it which fundamentally requires 50 GB (the cutscenes aren't even FMVs, if they were I could certainly understand 50 GB).

NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

It has been widely reported that they're using uncompressed audio. I haven't played the game, but from what I've heard there's nothing in it which fundamentally requires 50 GB (the cutscenes aren't even FMVs, if they were I could certainly understand 50 GB).

I'm assuming that the fact that the article mentions "extensive efforts at data compression", that they at least tried to compress the audio also. If not, then the author of the article needs to edit his choice of words

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

Evidence please, we are posting links where is yours? wikipedia has more credibility than you by the way

siriguillo said:

Evidence please, we are posting links where is yours? wikipedia has more credibility than you by the way

Have you really not heard about this uncompressed audio thing? It was all the rage a few months back in these forums at least.

http://ps3.qj.net/E-for-All-07-Konami-on-maxing-out-Blu-ray-with-hours-of-cinematics-uncompressed-audio/pg/49/aid/105564