By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft coping the Wii, The end or a new beginning of the xbox360?

Yeah too little too late. And if those 'avatars' and 'Xmote' rumours turn out to be true, well, then the copying is a bit too blatant in my opinion..

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

MS will more copy sony with that, rather than Nintendo. I would expect a "real life" copy aka home rather than Mii. And they will fail with it. Look at second life or the Mii system. The key to success is the "not real cartoon style".

kingofwale said:
I think there's a huge difference between N64 and PS1 using analog stick... vs. Microsoft blindly ripping off WIimote and calling it Xmote.

It'd be the difference between working on a project together with a friend vs. you cheated on the exam by copying exactly what the other people said

I agree with all of this except that the XMote is going to be called the Newton from my understanding. I guess because it demonstrates the law of gravity. If you let go of it, it falls to the ground. Really. It's going to be called the Newton (scratches head).

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
kingofwale said:
I think there's a huge difference between N64 and PS1 using analog stick... vs. Microsoft blindly ripping off WIimote and calling it Xmote.

It'd be the difference between working on a project together with a friend vs. you cheated on the exam by copying exactly what the other people said

I agree with all of this except that the XMote is going to be called the Newton from my understanding. I guess because it demonstrates the law of gravity. If you let go of it, it falls to the ground. Really. It's going to be called the Newton (scratches head).

I wonder how the Newton family is going to think of this.. 

The way I see it, they called it Newton because Newton was being harshly accused by a few people (including Hooke) for stealing their ideas, But due to Newton's popularity, he got away with it.

Sounds familiar? ;) 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
amp316 said:
kingofwale said:

I wonder how the Newton family is going to think of this.. 

The way I see it, they called it Newton because Newton was being harshly accused by a few people (including Hooke) for stealing their ideas, But due to Newton's popularity, he got away with it.

Sounds familiar? ;) 

Very clever. :)

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Just_Ben said:
MS will more copy sony with that, rather than Microsoft. I would expect a "real life" copy aka home rather than Mii. And they will fail with it. Look at second life or the Mii system. The key to success is the "not real cartoon style".

Yeah, because MS copying Microsoft is just unheard of

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Well, MS has always had success from copying other people, just look at Windows. =)

I don't think that the MS-Wiimote will help their sales, as the casual audience is already familiar with the Wii brand. What I think it might do is be damage control. MS knows that several solid developers are making FPS games for the Wii. If they attract the FPS crowd to the Wii, it will be taking away from the MS fanbase. So, I think that the device is more to give current XB gamers the option of playing in a "Wii-esque" fashion.

The unfortunate side is that the design of the Wiimote is patented, so anything closely resembling that will be killed before it hits the shelves. It will be interesting to see how MS comes up with something that goes around that patent.

Personally, I think that MS just needs to step up its adventure rpg library, more single person games, to get that RPG starved PS2 fanbase aboard. This group of people still haven't found a current-gen system to go to, as no one has truly embraced RPGs in large quantities.

Unfortunately, all of gaming society will see the XB360 wiimote as a blatant rip off of the Wii, and MS will lose serious "street cred" among developers and critics alike. Combine that with the fact that most casual gamers dont come to gaming sites, they won't find out about it via buzz until 2009 if it comes out this year.

Musouka said:
Just_Ben said:
MS will more copy sony with that, rather than Nintendo. I would expect a "real life" copy aka home rather than Mii. And they will fail with it. Look at second life or the Mii system. The key to success is the "not real cartoon style".

Yeah, because MS copying Microsoft is just unheard of

What?

^^^
Don't cheat. See my first reply for the full truth :P

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

RAcCoOnErOuS said:

Since There are  rumors of "Avatar", and the Xmote...could this be the end or a new beginning of the Xbox360..

Ok ok Don't flame me, but i very believe that if Microsoft does try to copy the Wii, by Motion controlls and Miis i do believe Microsoft is going to go even more down hill, and will Boost Sony sales up..

I'd say it's more of the beginning of acceptance of a new interface. If it's true and people start playing the 360's FPS with this X mote, then their can be any more argument at all that its a fad and kiddy. Suddenly this so called core audience will love the precision of the controls.