By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft coping the Wii, The end or a new beginning of the xbox360?

the_bloodwalker said:
I do think is a good step in a new direction for Microsoft... But being honest, it came too little, too late.

If the Xbox 360 had come with this from the bery begining, it would make a lot more difference... But this is a response to Sony's Home and Nintendo's Mii. And implementing it on a console that didn't consider these new values from the system's conception is going to ba a hard struggle to cater audience

Exactly. I don't think this will increase the amount of sales from microsoft. The usage of the avatars will not be as high as the wii (many games are using them) and the demographic that the xbox brand caters too tends to be gamers that this would not interest. The company has to have similar values to Nintendo to be able to do this successfully...and they have to have a way to generate buzz around it.

Leo-j I understand where you are coming from, but you have to look more in depth at the issue to talk about copying. Nintendo's controller is significantly different than any motion controls we have seen before (as a whole). They used them in an innovative way that excited the market. People say the PS3 copied because of the timing of the announcement Sony may have had the motion control idea inside the sixaxis before nintendo announced the wiimote. I don't think so, but that does not mean I am correct. But, the way they used it is significantly different that Nintendo's, like I said earlier.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
leo-j said:
You guys know nintendo werent the ones that brought motion controls right?

If anything nintendo copied one of sony's ps1 controllers..

Wow.......just wow.  Grasping for straws, are we?

They prolly make X-Fit or Xtreme fit for Hardcore games/athletes :P

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

some one just said the PS1 controller had motion sensing O.o how I flung that thing all the time in FFT and nothing happened.

/facepalm

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

i'll buy one if that means new X-Box 360 = HD Wii

Around the Network

@stcalm

no offense, but I think you're getting the wrong idea about the Wii

I think it's a bad move.

You have to figure that this will probably piss off their core fanbase horribly and likely alienate many of them the same way Nintendo would alienate non-gamers by suddenly going entirely "hardcore" and shipping Wiis with MP3 instead of Wii Sports.

I think they should've stuck it out, settled for 2nd place until the end of this generation, and launched the 720 with motion controls, etc.

I don't see this bringing in the casual/non-gamer market, but I see it pissing off many hardcore gamers because they'll feel MS is betraying them like Nintendo allegedly betrayed their fans by aiming away from the hardcore.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Aiemond said:
the_bloodwalker said:
I do think is a good step in a new direction for Microsoft... But being honest, it came too little, too late.

If the Xbox 360 had come with this from the bery begining, it would make a lot more difference... But this is a response to Sony's Home and Nintendo's Mii. And implementing it on a console that didn't consider these new values from the system's conception is going to ba a hard struggle to cater audience

Exactly. I don't think this will increase the amount of sales from microsoft. The usage of the avatars will not be as high as the wii (many games are using them) and the demographic that the xbox brand caters too tends to be gamers that this would not interest. The company has to have similar values to Nintendo to be able to do this successfully...and they have to have a way to generate buzz around it.

Leo-j I understand where you are coming from, but you have to look more in depth at the issue to talk about copying. Nintendo's controller is significantly different than any motion controls we have seen before (as a whole). They used them in an innovative way that excited the market. People say the PS3 copied because of the timing of the announcement Sony may have had the motion control idea inside the sixaxis before nintendo announced the wiimote. I don't think so, but that does not mean I am correct. But, the way they used it is significantly different that Nintendo's, like I said earlier.

Call me naive, but I believe Sony when they say they were working on the six axis controller before Nintendo was getting all the love with the wii mote.  I don't think that is something that they could have gone, "Oh, shit.  Lets get some motion sensing of our own and add it in, steal a little bit of Nintendo's buzz."  Nintendo probably started working on the wii mote a year after the game cube was released and Sony probably started working on the six axis a few years after the release of the ps2.  What I don't believe though was that they intended to use it this gen, they probably wanted to use it next gen and then when they got hit with that law suite from that no body firm in Texas with the rumble they rushed through the six axis, added it to Warhawk which they might or might not have been making anyways (part of some other game that they morphed into Warhawk to showcase the six axis) and used it in place of the rumble until the lawsuite could be cleared up.

The middle.

I think there's a huge difference between N64 and PS1 using analog stick... vs. Microsoft blindly ripping off WIimote and calling it Xmote.

It'd be the difference between working on a project together with a friend vs. you cheated on the exam by copying exactly what the other people said

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)