By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit hate article of the day

Garbage journalism at it's finest. By one study which showed that women do £6.55 in damage by working out in the home. This dumbass reporter extrapolates that to £20,155,080 by multiplying the entire population of women by the damage. Yes, I'm sure every woman works out in the UK and does £6.55 damage to their homes. Futhermore, since Wii Fit is used in the home, it does £20,155,080 because every woman in the UK works out at home and conincedentally those same women use Wii Fit and does £6.55 to their homes.

Never mind that all women don't work out in their homes. Never mind that different types of excercise do different types of possible damage. Never mind that the research didn't even examine the effects of Wii Fit.

Who cares what the research actually says when you can just make shit up on the fly and bash Wii Fit?

That's journalism right? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1026694/How-Wii-cause-20million-worth-damage-working-out.html

How Wii cause £20million worth of damage working out

By Jaya Narain
Last updated at 12:40 AM on 16th June 2008

Exercising at home is a great way to avoid the pitying glances of dedicated keep-fit fanatics.

But it can also be a health hazard - for your TV, your pets and particularly for any priceless vases that might be hanging around the house.

Women exercising at home cause up to £20million of damage to their possessions and themselves every year, a survey found yesterday.
Nintendo Wii

The popularity of Nintendo's Wii Fit game has led to a surge in people exercising in their living rooms

The trend for working out in the living room has been driven by the launch of the Wii Fit programme for Nintendo's revolutionary games console.

It includes a pressure-sensitive balance board to help users improve their strength and fitness.

However, the console ran into trouble soon after it launched two years ago when it emerged that some of the wrist straps used to keep the motion-sensitive 'wands' on the players' wrists snapped under heavy use.

There were reports of the devices flying off - sometimes straight through the television set.

The latest survey, by female-oriented insurance company Sheilas' Wheels, found that two per cent of women had damaged their TV after getting a little carried away while burning calories.

Almost a fifth of women who exercise indoors have been involved in accidents the poll found. The most common-calamities include bumping into furniture (30 per cent) and pulling a muscle (19 per cent).

But an alarming number of women have been involved in more bizarre accidents - ranging from tripping over a pet (18 per cent) to banging their heads (13 per cent).

Vases are the most commonly damaged item, followed closely by televisions. The average cost of the damage caused by an exercise accident in the home is £6.55 per household.

Based on the Government's estimate of the UK's female population, this works out at £20,155,080 in total each year.

The survey found that the firm favourite for exercising at home is still the traditional work-out video or DVD. Six out of ten of women own one and half prefer a celebrity instructor.

Although the main incentive for exercising at home was convenience (33 per cent), the in-house workout appealed to nearly a fifth of women simply because it saved money on gym membership.

Jacky Brown, of Sheilas' Wheels, said: 'As summer holidays fast approach, the pressure is on for women to have a bikini-fit body.

'But our research shows many are shying away from gyms and are increasingly keen to exercise at home, to save time and - in the current economic climate - to save money.

'Although indoor fitness can be a great way to build some regular activity into your daily routine, exercise a little restraint and prepare your at-home keep-fit area thoroughly beforehand.'

Exercise guru Diana Moran - the Green Goddess - said it was a good idea to adopt a safer regime such as a combination of sit-ups and light weights.

She added: 'It is really important people are adapting their workouts to the limited space they have.'

Around the Network

And what is the average amount of damage caused by excercising outside of the home?

It's like saying "most injuries happen at home" and taking that to mean that peoples homes are therefore more dangerous than everywhere else.

Daily Mail is the equivalent to the National Inquirer in the US. It isn't journalism, it's ill gotten ideas annotated on a price per sensationalist jumbled mass of topics philosophy affording itself the luxury of dissemination among credible publications.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Pfffthahahaha!!

Also, how many women rebuy the stuff they broke?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Let's put it this way, if I were in a public bathroom with no toilet paper but The Daily mail was within reach, I would wipe my ass with my hand before I give it the privilege of being constructively useful.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Wow, this is garbage. Is this an attempt at putting "two and two together"? Ugh, I'm done thinking about this Wack Juice dispenser.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

stupid wii fit jk

......that article doesn't make any sense....o_O

Was this the Daily Mail? (I hadn't checked)

In that case, this may possibly be the most well informed and written article they have ever published.

The Mail is basically in it's own seperate league of "Newspapers". You have the actual Newspapers at the top with actual news in them, then the Tabloids which consist of celeb culture, sport, naked women and general trash stories. Then you have the Daily Mail below all that.

I think the question is...

What kind of people take Daily Mail seriously and get all worked-up about it?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)