By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are small Middle Eastern influences removed from games?

I've noticed after reading info about several games, original development of these games had Middle Eastern (I don't know if its Islamic or any other derivation) pieces that were requested to be removed. For example:

• Ocarina of Time- the removal of a Muslim chant in the background music of the Fire Temple and the moon and star symbol that was on the Mirror Shield and other objects scattered throughout the game (signs, blocks, etc) for their Islam references. 

• Zack & Wiki- the Islamic prayer "Allahu akbar"—which translates to "God is great"—which was repeatedly used as players worked on a puzzle while tribal islanders prayed around a totem. After receiving complaints and being contacted by The Council on American-Islamic Relations, Capcom removed the phrase from the game.
    I'm guessing it is offensive somewhat, but I'd ask if something concerning your own religion was placed in a game in this manner, would you be upset as well?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Who knows. Act 1 of mgs4 has an Islamic influenced scenery, but that's it.

Haven't noticed a lot of religion involvement in games.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Pokemon also....

They got removed because if you offend a sheik over there our oil prices go up a dollar.

Seriously though it's because Islam is very sensitive and anything regarding their religion that doesn't perfectly abide by their Sharia and other Islamic codes is forbidden and they take the matters as extremely important. The content is removed or edited out of respect for their religious nature.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

So wait... If I had a game where a choir chanted "God is Great" While I did a puzzle, would I be offended?

... If I look at it that way... then no... so I don't see why it's such an issue....

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

The content is removed or edited out of respect for their religious nature.

That's what they say. It's not because they respect their religion most of the time. It's just that they don't want the hassle of having to explain each and every time that it's just a game and that they implement whatever they think would give it a more realistic feel or to make it a bit more funny.

Some people just are not that tolerant, and it so happens that extremists (whether they are Muslim or Catholic) are extremely intolerant and unable to understand that people may not always agree with them and that other people may have a better way of accepting /dealing with things.

Why? Because oohhh, I don't know... certain people might get a little overzealous and will openly kill you for insulting their prophet

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
Why? Because oohhh, I don't know... certain people might get a little overzealous and will openly kill you for insulting their prophet
They would kill you then they would go to jail or go on death row

Stuff like this happens all the time, you should see the amounts of movies and users who get banned on Youtube for talking about truthful things in the Koran. The muslim posters go all mental and write Youtube until all videos of anything that explains the truth about their religion is removed.

And to Prove i'm not just saying something against one religion here is some more.

Their was also a church used in the RFoM game, it was used as a Hospital and and gathering place for people as their world was being destroyed around them and the catholic church also went mental.

Riachu said:
kingofwale said:
They would kill you then they would go to jail or go on death row

You mean if they never blew theselves up first