By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Wii Third-Party Struggles Highlighted by May NPD" - GameDaily

Bodhesatva said:
Viper1 said:
Bodhesatva said:

It's not a crutch, Kasz, it's a different set of emphases.

Again, I think muscle cars are a great example. Is the extra acceleration and top speed of a Pontiac GTO a "crutch"? No, it's just a different set of priorities for what the car should be, and clearly some people prefer those priorities.

When it becomes THE emphasis, it's a crutch. A game should be able to sell on the merits of gameplay alone. When that fails and graphics are required to re-balance the ship....it's a crutch.

In your opinion. Obviously, other people have different opinions and priorities. For example, I can certainly imagine a car enthusiast looking at a game with mediocre graphics but amazing, features and driving modes, and that the game uses its features as a "crutch" for its lack of visual fidelity: this is because the graphical quality is first and foremost in this genre, and gameplay is a secondary concern.

If you don't agree with those priorities, that's fine. It's your opinion.

Here is the question though. What game has sold soley on the basis of graphics and physics.

Around the Network

That's a strawman, Kasz. I never said they sold exclusively on graphics/tech; even in the case of Epic, I said they "partly or largely" sell on graphics/tech. This isn't black and white. We all have our priorities. Some people, like me, place very little emphasis on graphics and much more on gameplay; others place some emphasis on gameplay, some on I/O, and some on graphics; some put a large emphasis on graphics or "immersion," and less emphasis on gameplay and I/O.

I largely agree with Sullla, by the way. I think there are missed opportunities on the Wii; I just think the situation a lot less obvious than "put all your AAA games on the Wii and you will see the sales!"

One other thing to consider is that a game that costs 20 million to produce on the 360 and sells 5 million copies makes more money than a game that costs 10 million to produce on the Wii and sells 5 million copies. Therefore, the AAA games that sell 5-10 million (like Gears or CoD4) are particularly profitable on the PS3/360. This is one of the things discouraging blockbuster development on the Wii.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

That's a strawman, Kasz. I never said they sold exclusively on graphics/tech; even in the case of Epic, I said they "partly or largely" sell on graphics/tech. This isn't black and white. We all have our priorities. Some people, like me, place very little emphasis on graphics and much more on gameplay; others place some emphasis on gameplay, some on I/O, and some on graphics; some put a large emphasis on graphics or "immersion," and less emphasis on gameplay and I/O.

I largely agree with Sullla, by the way. I think there are missed opportunities on the Wii; I just think the situation a lot less obvious than "put all your AAA games on the Wii and you will see the sales!"

One other thing to consider is that a game that costs 20 million to produce on the 360 and sells 5 million copies makes more money than a game that costs 10 million to produce on the Wii and sells 5 million copies. Therefore, the AAA games that sell 5-10 million (like Gears or CoD4) are particularly profitable on the PS3/360. This is one of the things discouraging blockbuster development on the Wii.

I don't think it's a strawman. I think you could point to plenty of games that have sold soley on the basis of gaemplay... and that those who focus on graphics also do focus on gameplay.

Therefore it's not that difficult to make the change. I'd argue that in most cases, even when they do put an emphasis on graphics, their is larger emphasis on gameplay.

Outside of people like Epic, who's main customers aren't regular people... and the occasional first party sony game to show off it's graphical prowess vs 360.

After all, why else do a lost of companies liscense the urneal engiens, so they don't have to put too much focus on the graphics. (Well those with projects where they try.)

The only people who are going to be hit hard are the people who put a focus on neither, but instead put a focus on copying success... and these people haven't been successful anwyay.

Bodhesatva said:

Huh? How is this possible? 

Boon blocks is priced to high for a puzzle game.
When it drops to $40 and $30 we will see more sales.
I will buy it when it drops to $30, like I did with Z&W.

Consoles LTD, end 2009, end 2010 - prediction

Wii -  68 million, 90 million - Wii HD in late 2011 - $249

360 - 38 million, 47 million - 720 in late 2010 - $299

PS3 - 31 million, 43 million - slim PS3 in mid 2009 - $299 

Around the Network

This entire discussion of Bodhesatva about Epic is already a failure and a big strawman.
Talking about old consoles companies like Capcom is good, but then bring a PC game company like Epic, that only recently got into console just because of Direct X, is stupid at best.
Epic just is the worst example of a console company you could get, as it's not a console company, or at least it wasn't. It's still a PC game company, making engines. They saw an opportunity to sell their engines on HD console, and all those that invested in their engine realize how screwed they were.
That's why these companies couldn't scrap their HD project, they invested just too much money in this, even Squaresoft that tried to resist the longest. Now, they have to make these projects, unless all this money spent be put in the trashcan.

I also laugh at the stupid logic demonstrated : 3rd parties want to compete against Nintendo; they can't unless they put their A strings against them (which is not a revelation, as Miyamoto told them that 1 year ago); but they won't do that because of some stupid reason they have.
So it boils down to : "3rd parties can't compete against Nintendo because of some stupid reason they have". Well OK.
If forum posters can understand why 3rd parties supposedly struggles on Wii (they aren't struggling on Wii actually), 3rd parties can understand it too.
The truth is that 3rd parties are not struggling on Wii, they're struggling on the HD consoles, and I still think they will be destroyed if they go on like that. I won't cry over their death. If 3rd parties were struggling on Wii, they would do what they did on Gamecube : leave the console.
The problem is, there are two consoles making the industry boom this gen : Wii and DS. Remove those two, and the picture is alarming already.

Bodhesatva said:

In your opinion. Obviously, other people have different opinions and priorities. For example, I can certainly imagine a car enthusiast looking at a game with mediocre graphics but amazing features and driving modes; they might claim that the game uses its features as a "crutch" for its lack of visual fidelity. This is because the graphical quality is first and foremost in this genre, and gameplay is a secondary concern.

If you don't agree with those priorities, that's fine. It's your opinion. Your opinion happens to be the more popular one, so you can always point that out. 

The foundation of any game is gameplay.  It's not an opinion.   It's how games work.    

Kyros said:
What is gameplay to you? If you take away graphics and with it:

Atmosphere, rousing story telling, immersion, emotions like horror, shock, awe etc. You are left with the definition of a game from 1980.

Since when did graphics pertain to story, horror, shock and awe?  Those are presentational and artisitic direction elements.  Don't combine them with graphics.

Bodhesatva said:

Is this some of that new fuzzy math or are you confusing point of sale revenue with profit?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I don't see what the problem is. If third parties are making so much money on 360 and PS3 good for them. When you combine all three consoles they are doing just fine...

The problem is 360 isn't making enough money for MS to be justifiable for another gen and Sony will only come out in the black (positive numbers) in 2015-2020 because people like real-world-discs for things that cost over $15 and Sony won the HD-format war.

Nintendo and Third Parties sales are very healthy, though not all are profitable (but that is more because of bad business).

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Btw, Wii 1st party sales ratio compared to the 3rd party sales will be low this month.

Wii Fit + MKWii + Brawl it's obviously a lethal combination, there's no way 3rd party games would have sold better in May.

Now June will also be riding the MKWii + Wii Fit wave but will see no 1st party releases + shortage of games, on the other hand there's TONS of blockbuster 3rd party games getting released from 3rd parties: Lego Indiana Jones, Kung Fu Panda, Hulk, Blast Works, Top Spin, Rock Band, Alone in the Dark, Wall-E, Guitar Hero Aerosmith and a couple others not worth mentioning.

Just look at all those 3rd party games, and when NPD June comes, tell me if 3rd party games DON'T sell on the Wii.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Btw, Wii 1st party sales ratio compared to the 3rd party sales will be low this month.

Wii Fit + MKWii + Brawl it's obviously a lethal combination, there's no way 3rd party games would have sold better in May.

Now June will also be riding the MKWii + Wii Fit wave but will see no 1st party releases + shortage of games, on the other hand there's TONS of blockbuster 3rd party games getting released from 3rd parties: Lego Indiana Jones, Kung Fu Panda, Hulk, Blast Works, Top Spin, Rock Band, Alone in the Dark, Wall-E, Guitar Hero Aerosmith and a couple others not worth mentioning.

Just look at all those 3rd party games, and when NPD June comes, tell me if 3rd party games DON'T sell on the Wii.

I hadn't thought of the movie tie-in games. PS2 should have the best-selling versions of those, though, judging by Iron Man.

Third party revenue for Wii will shoot way up on Rock Band and GH Aerosmith, though. Along with Lego Indy and continued high sales of GHIII, Wii could have 4 third party games above 100K units in June, and three of them at above normal pricing.

I hope we get the top 20 (and then some) again for June, because its loaded with major multi-plat releases.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.