By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Qore worth it?

Profcrab said:
I just checked out some of those videos on Youtube. I don't see what is worth paying for. It's like putting Gametrailer HD videos online and charging for them. I'm not impressed.

I give this thread a 9.3.

It's less then $2 each if you buy the subscription. The Force Unleashed stuff has only been seen in HD by Qore members. (same for all of it actually, it's all original content).

And I didn't pay for the videos, I payed for the beta's and demos.

Look, tell the OP what you get, and let him decide. Saying you can get the same thing on YouTube, is just fanboy BS.

Around the Network

Qore intrigues me. I had asked in many threads previously how Sony could make up the revenue they lost by making online free; within a few years, Microsoft will be making ~400 million a year in revenue from XBL subscriptions, while Sony will still be making 0.

Clearly, Qore is the beginning of Sony's attempt to find revenue through PSN beyond DLC. I expect Qore to grow and become an increasingly significant product, as Sony pushes pay services into the mainstream of PSN.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Why pay when you can get it on youtube. Then again if you like some betas then you get to get in.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

TheRealMafoo said:
Profcrab said:
I just checked out some of those videos on Youtube. I don't see what is worth paying for. It's like putting Gametrailer HD videos online and charging for them. I'm not impressed.

I give this thread a 9.3.

It's less then $2 each if you buy the subscription. The Force Unleashed stuff has only been seen in HD by Qore members. (same for all of it actually, it's all original content).

And I didn't pay for the videos, I payed for the beta's and demos.

Look, tell the OP what you get, and let him decide. Saying you can get the same thing on YouTube, is just fanboy BS.

Oh, so charging for exclusive previews is now the next step in DLC?  Yep, you can buy the subcription, 1/2 the cost of XBL for a year, and you get HD previews and some demos.  I might see paying to get into a beta, but if you have to pay for a demo, you just got ripped off.  I never want to hear one Sony fanboy who pays the subscription ever complain about XBL charging ever again.  The humorous thing is, if it wasn't for Qore, you would probably get those demos for free.  It isn't fanboy BS, this shit should be free.  You are paying for marketing and demos.

I give that post a 9.2. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Profcrab said:

Oh, so charging for exclusive previews is now the next step in DLC?  Yep, you can buy the subcription, 1/2 the cost of XBL for a year, and you get HD previews and some demos.  I might see paying to get into a beta, but if you have to pay for a demo, you just got ripped off.  I never want to hear one Sony fanboy who pays the subscription ever complain about XBL charging ever again.  The humorous thing is, if it wasn't for Qore, you would probably get those demos for free.  It isn't fanboy BS, this shit should be free.  You are paying for marketing and demos.

I give that post a 9.2. 

So all magazines that come with a demo disk should be free? It's no different they any other magazine. It's just online. There are 360 magazines that come with a Demo disks that you can only get from the Magazine. How is that any different?

P.S. Just so you know, Demos will still come out for free on PSN. Some will only be available through Qore.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
Profcrab said:

Oh, so charging for exclusive previews is now the next step in DLC? Yep, you can buy the subcription, 1/2 the cost of XBL for a year, and you get HD previews and some demos. I might see paying to get into a beta, but if you have to pay for a demo, you just got ripped off. I never want to hear one Sony fanboy who pays the subscription ever complain about XBL charging ever again. The humorous thing is, if it wasn't for Qore, you would probably get those demos for free. It isn't fanboy BS, this shit should be free. You are paying for marketing and demos.

I give that post a 9.2.

So all magazines that come with a demo disk should be free? It's no different they any other magazine. It's just online. There are 360 magazines that come with a Demo disks that you can only get from the Magazine. How is that any different?

P.S. Just so you know, Demos will still come out for free on PSN. Some will only be available through Qore.

I know that all demos will not be reserved for Qore, but if it wasn't for Qore, those now exclusive demos would have been free.  Basically they are now charging for something that everyone used to get for free.  Magazines provide reviews and news throught the industry as well as previews.  You are actually paying for the writing content of the magazine.  That content is mostly supported by advertisements.  So, companies are making the magazine cheaper for you in exchange for you viewing their marketing materials.  When a game console manufacturer is selling you marketing videos of games that they want you to buy for their console and bundling it with stuff you used to get for free, they are flipping the model around and now are trying to get you to pay the company for the honor of viewing its marketing.

I give that post a 9.1. 

TheRealMafoo said:
Profcrab said:

I give that post a 9.2. 

So all magazines that come with a demo disk should be free? It's no different they any other magazine. It's just online. There are 360 magazines that come with a Demo disks that you can only get from the Magazine. How is that any different?

What a terrible way to try and defend this. Magazines are a physical product, and the demo is tacked on to try and sell more copies of the mag. In this way its similar to Qore. The difference is demos have almost always been free online, now Sony is trying to change that so they can pad their bottom line.

Its also hysterical how you think these demos are only available through this service. Using PS3proxy you get download anything thats on PSN. For example, I got into the Warhawk beta this way and downloaded the bad company demo when it was still "exclusive" to people who pre-ordered.

Also, doesn't Sony already have a system where you can sign up to beta test games and get access to them for free? 

I give profcrab a MGS 10/10 for making valid points.

I give realmafoo a Haze 4.5/10 for a valiant, but flawed, attempt at defending a bad idea 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Profcrab said:

I give that post a 9.2. 

What a terrible way to try and defend this. Magazines are a physical product, and the demo is tacked on to try and sell more copies of the mag. In this way its similar to Qore. The difference is demos have almost always been free online, now Sony is trying to change that so they can pad their bottom line.

Its also hysterical how you think these demos are only available through this service. Using PS3proxy you get download anything thats on PSN. For example, I got into the Warhawk beta this way and downloaded the bad company demo when it was still "exclusive" to people who pre-ordered.

Also, doesn't Sony already have a system where you can sign up to beta test games and get access to them for free? 

I give realmafoo a Haze 4.5/10 for a valiant, but flawed, attempt at defending a bad idea 

wht is it with these I give this thread an X thing? I hope that fad fades fast.

Of all the people I know who bought gaming magazines, they did it for the demos on the included disk. The demos they could not get anywhere else. There are interviews, and original content on Qore (I think it kind of sucks, but I think most magazine articles suck too).

Also, it's $2 dollars.... $2 dollars... if you have an issue with 2 bucks, maybe you should not own a $500 system where games cost $60.

TheRealMafoo said:
sieanr said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Profcrab said:

Oh, so charging for exclusive previews is now the next step in DLC? Yep, you can buy the subcription, 1/2 the cost of XBL for a year, and you get HD previews and some demos. I might see paying to get into a beta, but if you have to pay for a demo, you just got ripped off. I never want to hear one Sony fanboy who pays the subscription ever complain about XBL charging ever again. The humorous thing is, if it wasn't for Qore, you would probably get those demos for free. It isn't fanboy BS, this shit should be free. You are paying for marketing and demos.

I give that post a 9.2.

So all magazines that come with a demo disk should be free? It's no different they any other magazine. It's just online. There are 360 magazines that come with a Demo disks that you can only get from the Magazine. How is that any different?

Its also hysterical how you think these demos are only available through this service. Using PS3proxy you get download anything thats on PSN. For example, I got into the Warhawk beta this way and downloaded the bad company demo when it was still "exclusive" to people who pre-ordered.

wht is it with these I give this thread an X thing? I hope that fad fades fast.

Of all the people I know who bought gaming magazines, they did it for the demos on the included disk. The demos they could not get anywhere else. There are interviews, and original content on Qore (I think it kind of sucks, but I think most magazine articles suck too).

Also, it's $2 dollars.... $2 dollars... if you have an issue with 2 bucks, maybe you should not own a $500 system where games cost $60.

Once upon a time in the dark days of the non-internet capable consoles when demos for consoles were primarily available through demo discs, buying a magazine just for the demos made sense. In the modern age where demos are downloadable for free, yes I have an issue with some demos being moved back into the "pay" catagory. Especially when demos have been free not only on PSN but also on XBL. It is also only $2 if you subscribe. Demos are also marketing content, which I will not pay for. They want me to buy their game. Great! Don't make me pay for the Baskin Robbins sample spoon. I expect all material that a company issues to tempt me into buying their product to be free or reduce the cost of another company's product. Previews, demos, and betas are all marketing tools.

I give that post a 9.1.

Profcrab said:

Previews, demos, and betas are all marketing tools.

Well, Demos have kept me from buying a game far more often then they have made me want a game. If they are marketing tools, they suck at it.

Me not buying Qore or buying Qore does not change what demos will be included or not included. If I don't buy 1 game every 2 years because of the extra demo included in Qore, it's paid for itself.

Oh, and by the way, I never complained about XBL being 50 bucks. It's definitely worth it.